Tough day..the Anna E. is gone...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

Tough day..the Anna E. is gone...

Post by John F. »

I've been using my B20 alot the last couple of years, and the Anna E. hasn't seen much use lately with the kids getting older. Our son is a freshman in college, and my daughter a junior in HS, so the tuition bills are here and are just going to get bigger. I got a decent/fair cash offer for her, and she went...paid for and she'll be off to Ft. Lauderdale this Wednesday.

Really tough to sell her, but it was the right thing to do--I keep telling myself that. I've still got the B20, and I'm hoping to hang out here a bit. Its time to turn my attention to the B20...tough day though. I loved my Anna E., and outside of getting to run her, the best thing about having her was being part of this site. Thanks fellas.

John
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

John,
Once a member of the gang, always a member.

Crips and bloods have nothing on us.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

John:

I had the unfortunate experience of saying goodbye to Tailhook almost 4 years ago. And to echo the comments above, they still let you play in this sandbox, and, more importantly, provide the friendship that you never realize you need, until the chips are down.

Bruce, we are B31 for life! What's our gangsign though?

Tom
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I'll bet that was tough.....like a member of the family......

I would like to hear about the best of the best times you every had on the ole girl.....surely you gotta story...

hb
hb
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Congrats and Condolences!!!

Truthfully I didn't think it would go through, but must have been in the cards.

Now you can give the B20 some luv...

After all, you're still one of us and there are many years and stories yet to be shared and told. Who knows in another year or so I may be ready for a run at the Shark Tourney & need a crew of misfits...

br,
John
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Bruce, we are B31 for life! What's our gangsign though?
Given the average age of most of us I'd say arthritis pretty much dictates what ever we can straighten our fingers to be.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

John, sorry to hear you had to let the 31 go. What's the plan for the B20, full restoration? Stay a postin!
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

John have fun with the B20. You can always get a ride or a fishing trip on several Bertrams I know of. We should look at the that shark tournament again. They were lots of fun.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Bruce:

That was classic!

Tom
coolair

Post by coolair »

man sorry she had to go, she was one of my favorites
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
John F.

Post by John F. »

Thanks. She was used as a Chesapeake Bay family fisher/cruiser. Neat thing about B31s--they're just attract people. We used to overnight with some other friends/families a few times a year. One friend had a new Tiara 31, and the other a newish Luhrs express, and there would be other boats, and then there would be the Anna E. And people would always hang out on the Anna E. One time I sat there and counted 22 people--parents and their kids--sitting around the boat--in the cockpit, on the fb, in the cabin, eating pizza and drinking whatever. Same thing when we rafted up for 4th of July fireworks with kids/families--kkids especially wound up on the Anna E.

PS--I spent a fair amount of time fishing that Luhrs. Everything bad you've read or heard about Luhrs was true for that boat.

The B20 is a moppie that was already converted to an o/b. She's to get tunred into a center console/baby express.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Charlie wrote:John have fun with the B20. You can always get a ride or a fishing trip on several Bertrams I know of. We should look at the that shark tournament again. They were lots of fun.
John, I second these sentiments. I know a bunch of 31s in my area that you would be more than welcome on, including mine when seh's finished. My 26 Luhrs should hopefully be finished for next season, and you are more than welcome to check out a Luhrs they got right.

Charlie, As far as the shark tournament, make sure there's a slot for me. I had a blast the 2 years I came down with my dad.
Harv
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

john
sorry to see her gone, but iam with you on the cost of college, just finishing up the last year with my 3rd daughter
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

John,
Is she staying in the neighborhood?
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Carl

Post by Carl »

I think John said it's going to Ft Lauderdale...

It's just a boat and you still have the memories that will last a lifetime...

This Forum is for people who like the 31, so your still in.

After 50 years....she's going back home to Florida.
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

Ah, the problem of escalating college expenses. Very tough. But all things come to an end and the expense will stop too. Enjoy the B20. You have youth on your side .... you might be in another 31 before you know it.
A/K/A El Gaupo
John F.

Post by John F. »

Thanks guys. She's off to FLA, and should be arriving in Ft.Lauderdale/West Palm or thereabouts some time tomorrow. I'm sure she'll love being in the FLA sun rather than the cold miserable crap that's been around MD. Charlie/John/Harv/Doug and whoever else--yeah, let's do the South Jersey shark tourney again.

I'll be asking questions about a B20 rebuild soon.
Mack

Post by Mack »

Wow...thought you would never do it. Must have been a good offer!

Now you are down to how many boats?!

You around during the holidays? If so, let's catch up next week over a beer or two.
Mack
1973 B31 "MAKO"
jrhaszard

Post by jrhaszard »

John...Sorry you let go of the 31. I passed by Kent Island last week going to Dover and wondered about you. I had hoped to stop by when the WX improved in the spring to admire the work you had done. I would still like you to give me your opinion on some of the areas on my boat that need attention. Hopefully, I can bring her up your way next year. Tiffany is making new canvass and doing some service on the auxgenset right now. If you are interested in fishing at Va.Beach, you are welcome to come with us. At least the rooms are cheap this time of year....John H.
BERG1847M80F
JK

Post by JK »

John,

I know how hard that day is when the boat finally goes, it's been 14 months without SeaNile.

Sometimes I think of it as only taking a break from boating and the 31's, even if for a long time....

At least you still have the 20 to keep you busy!

--JK