New Member / New Boat

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Took a nice ride today. Beautiful what a difference a day makes

Any of you guys that are close please stop by and say hello. Also if your screen name is t your real name please let me know what it is.

Pete
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Dug

Post by Dug »

Pete, if you are really worried about the hailing port, I would slap some shrink wrap tape over it. It will need to be cleaned with goo gone in the spring, but easier than if it were duct tape residue. You will need to clean in prep for the new port anyway.

D
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I wont get my documentation paperwork back until january and they said i can wait until spring. I also called the village and let them know and they made a note of it. So i am ok until the spring on the hailing port.

Had the canvas guy down yesterday. He pulled off the old torn top on the half tower. Replacing zippers on the surround and making me a cockpit and bridge coverr for the winter.

I am going to try and clean up the metal on the tower while the top is off if i can find some time before he reistalls the new one.

Pete
Dug

Post by Dug »

Peter,

For that metal clean up. I cannot recommend Woody Wax highly enough!!!!!!

Great stuff! And good for non-skid too! Don't balk at the price, its worth it!

Dug
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Well there is some bad news about owning a 31 Bertram. The winter slip is along the road. I was down there trying to get a few things done before she is officially done for the season. Three seperate guys stopped, got out of their car and chewed my ear off about what a great boat it is. One of them i invited on the boat to chat and show him around. Another 5 cars either slowed down or stop to make some sort of comment.

It is very nice to get compliments but it surely cut into my work time.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Get used to it. It comes with the territory!
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I couldnt figure out how to get the outrigger poles out. The base actually can be removed with pins but i was trying to get the fiberglass poles put of the bases. May need to remove them from the bottom of the base rather then loosening them and sliding them out.

Anybody know the tricket these old fiberglass outriggers have rod guides taped to them, i dont think they are much use in their current condition and i have no near term plans of trolling.

I can probably find a picture of them.

Pete
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

They should slip right out of the holders but given they don't, I suspect they haven't been removed in a long time and are encrusted with salt residue in the bases. The first thing I would try would be to get a small inexpensive strap wrench and attach it to the outrigger about a half inch above the top of the holder. As you attempt to move the pole back and forth, I would spray the connection point with Corrosion-X with hopes that it would flow down inside the holder. If you can get any movement at all, it will be just a matter of time and repeated spraying to get them off. Ron Feuring at Sea Isle in Freeport used to make up fiberglass outriggers back in the 70's. He wound the bases and eyes as he would with rods and they were very pretty as long as you maintained the windings.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

It seems like the base may be tapered as is the fiberglass pole. It moves about 4" and then it gets stuck. Its really odd. I will try a strap wrench though.
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

Call me tomorrow 631-258-6804. I'll shoot over, I've been dying to check out your boat anyway. Two sets of hands can into alot more trouble than a single set.
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Will do.
Harv

Post by Harv »

I always get to the party too late. i would have come out to hang with you guys.
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

walterk wrote: Ron Feuring at Sea Isle in Freeport used to make up fiberglass outriggers back in the 70's. He wound the bases and eyes as he would with rods and they were very pretty as long as you maintained the windings.
I still have Ron's outriggers on my boat.
Harv
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Well harv you could have checked out the fighting chair too. It was short lived and the canvas guy showed up. It was nice meet Ed and i am also remembering i should have called Dick since he is just around the corner.

Pete

The canvas looks great i will put up some pictures later.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

The canvas work is done (IPhone pics)

Harv

Post by Harv »

Pete, where exactly are you located? I can always come out on any weekend. Who did the canvas? Looks good. I had one like that, that went to the transom, but it disappeared when my Uncle died.
Harv
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Harv im in babylon, the boat is on shore road and my house is on wyandanch avenue

The guy that did the canvas works for one of the large canvas guys but i got him to do it on the weekend as a side project great work and super reasonable i
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

Nothing sucks more than having to shovel snow from your cockpit after shoveling your driveway. That cockpit cover is perfect for a Long Island winter not to mention keeping the sun off that teak deck. I think us New york boys need to have a mini rendezvous on petes boat. or a local watering hole.
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!
Craig G

Post by Craig G »

Harv,

Nice looking Bahia Mar. What year and hull # is it?
Thanks,
Craig
1968 31 Bahia Mar 316-664 SeaZAR
2003 17 Cape Horn
1999 35 Contender Side Console
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Ed

A min get together in the winter sounds like a great idea. We can hang on my boat for a while and then head into town for lunch. It would be centrally located for the guys out west and east.

I can do it the week between xmas and new years or we can wait until after the holidays.

Great to meet you.i
Harv

Post by Harv »

Craig G wrote:Harv,

Nice looking Bahia Mar. What year and hull # is it?
1971 hull # is wierd as it seems I have one extra number....316-1043
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

Ed Curry wrote:Nothing sucks more than having to shovel snow from your cockpit after shoveling your driveway. .
Snow? What snow?
Harv
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Harv

Looks like it only snowed on your boat. LOL
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Stevewilliamson3

Re:

Post by Stevewilliamson3 »

PeterPalmieri wrote: Nov 17th, '10, 11:52 I am hoping to move the boat to Babylon on Sunday. Then ive got to get a canvas guy come by to fit me with a cockpit cover as the boat will be in the water for the winter. Im hoping to hold off on winterization until mid december so i can run the boat more if the weather permits.
Boat shipping is always a hot topic on a boat forum so want to contribute.

Last month i haul my boat across rhode-island with the help of Citizenshipper haulers.

Before shipping a boat you need to know Sailing is done by shippers regularly through widely known routes following the yachting seasons all over the world. Shipping your boats during the sailing season will likely cause a reduction in your shipping costs due to economies of scale.

Make you make sure to shut cabinet doors using tape and close the cabin doors securely as well as the exterior doors.

Hope it help
PeterPalmieri

Re: New Member / New Boat

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Hey Steve thanks for bringing back some good memories. When I bought the boat my oldest son was 18 months old. He’s in 6th grade now.