Just remembering

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Just remembering

Post by Harry Babb »

It was this time of the afternoon, the day before Thanksgiving 2004, when a friend called me from Orange Beach.

The call went sort of like this......"Hey buddy...I have been hearing you run your mouth for years now about some day owning a 31 Bertram.....and its like this.....I am standing on the dock looking at your next boat"

Naturally I was all ears.

Then he said "Its your kind of boat, it needs lots of TLC, but what makes it different from anything you have owned before is that it RUNS".

Well it was Monday after Thanksgiving before I could go look at it. When I pulled up to the dock I remember saying to myself.....If that ole girl cranks I am GONNA buy it.

Well I jumped aboard, opened the hatches, sniffed for gas, pumped the throttles a couple of times and hit the stbd ignition.....VAROOOOOMMMMM!!! ! she went......I then went to the port engine and did the same thing with the same results......

And from there we are the proud owners of DENADA! ! ! !

A little more than a year later I discovered a group of crazy guys that like 31's as much as I do.....

And from there I am a proud member of a fraternity called Bertram31.com.

2 of many bright spots in my life.....

And with a little persistance I think I may hear DENADA go VAARROOOOMMMMMMM again pretty soon! ! ! !

hb
hb
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Harry, you just inadvertently reminded me that tomorrow also marks the 11th year anniversary of the website. Seems like yesterday...
coolair

Post by coolair »

and boy am i glad this website is here, its a great place full of great people. and there are so many jack a** on other sites i dont think its even worth dealing with. Capt. again enjoyed talking to you the other day and thank you for all the advise and knowledge and i never had you pegged for how old you said you were!

Oh harry, you wanting those carbs has me ondering if you are finaly giving up on the cummins and going back with gas! HAHA
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Well let me be the first to wish you a happy anniversery Capt Pat.....you have done a wonderful thing....

The Bertrams are a good thing.....sharing our knowledge is a good thing....but the friendships here, whether or not we have met in person, is the most valuable asset to me.

From Alabama, if I go east I have a couple of Bertram Buds that are willing to meet and break bread........If I go west from here I have met a couple of Bertram Buds that will take time from their schedule and meet at Drusellas for lunch, and further west I have shook the hand of another Bertram Bud.......then there is the north......I have had the pleasure of meeting "A BUNCH" (Alabama Term) of Bertram Buds.....I have spent time with one Buds family.....driven another Buds 31 and enjoyed the friendship of many many more.

That just leaves South......and on my next venture to WPB I intend to make a few more personal introductions.

Cheers to you Capt Pat! ! ! ! !

hb
hb
randall

Post by randall »

i would have to say that one of the most life altering (in a good way) moments in my life was the day in (i think) 2000 that i typed "Bertram" into google.

the list of things to be thankful for is long.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Matt wrote:Oh harry, you wanting those carbs has me ondering if you are finaly giving up on the cummins and going back with gas!
Does make one wonder don't it......???? UHMMMMmmmm! ! !

hb
hb
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

The carbs are for the pony motor to start the cummins....Heres to many more years Capt. Pat....Congratulations on 11 my friend.
My next adventure to Bama includes a boat ride on Denada right Harry? BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Hey Harry - who's gonna win the Iron Bowl? Hint: Auburn is toast, LSU in the BCS Champ game vs. the ducks, quack.....book it. Coonasses Rule.....

And Capt. Patrick.....11 years, how time flies son. Thanks to you and all the Faithful for the ride.

UV
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Matt who says there are no jackasses here?

(imagine a large group of people me the only one with my hand in the air)

Happy anniversary Patrick and thanks!!
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Vic wrote:Hey Harry - who's gonna win the Iron Bowl?
Ha.....Well I have to pull for Auburn.......I am much better at mechanics and grinding fiberglass than discussing religion, politics or football....but it seems to stack up like this.....LSU put a stomping on Bama and Auburn wacked LSU's ass there fore Auburn will smoke Bama like a cheap cigar!! ! ! !....simple deductive reasoning

Coonasses do rule.....no argument.....but I have to say that ALL of the Coonasses that I know (and I know a bunch) sure were quiet after the Auburn/LSU game..........WAR EAGLE! ! ! !

I will pull for Bama except for one game a year......wanna guess what game???

Bob.....DeNada actually has one half machined shaft hanging out of her belly.....the rudder shafts are complete and dry fitted.....I have plans to spend all day Friday and Saturday and half a day on Sunday getting the ole girl closer go the water......and yes your next trip to Bama will get you a ride in DeNada! ! ! !

hb
hb
billyo

Post by billyo »

Harry Babb wrote:

That just leaves South......and on my next venture to WPB I intend to make a few more personal introductions.

Cheers to you Capt Pat! ! ! ! !

hb
Go through the Panama canal and take a right and we can meet.
New member of the Bertram clan.

1970 31' Classic

Hull # 1092104
coolair

Post by coolair »

Mark? you? no!
I never said we didnt have any here, but we are atleast all on the same page of jackassness.
Harry you have me wondering!
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

and there are so many jack a** on other sites
Hey, I resemble that remark...........and wear the patch proudly.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Btw brother,

thanks for putting this short bus full of helmet wearers together....
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

I got my boat in the Fall of '98. Then my bro-in-law told me of this site. The big topic was the rendezvous held that summer. I remember my son saying that next yr we're going. Haven't miss a yr yet. And for a few yrs did two.

Great guys with great boats. Some say it's "America's Boat".

Thank You, Capt Patrick!
A/K/A El Gaupo
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Thanks Capt Pat for putting all us B31 Boat Turkey's together. It has been a party trolley ride.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Randall had it right. A friend put me on this path and Google clinched it.
Thanks Patrick for assembling the Faithful. I would never have gotten through the seven-year restoration without you all. First for the endless suggestions and help and second for just listening when I got down about the boat or health. You and Dreamsicle have been a bright spot in my life.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Now, back to the kitchen to make gravy. Let's see, first you make a roux. . .
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Mike Moran

post subject

Post by Mike Moran »

thanks Cap. Pat its a keeper happy turkey day
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Thanks Capt Patrick. I have made so many freinds because of this site. When I got the boat I had no idea what I had or what it was. Little did I know it would end up a big part of my life. Thanks everyone.
Carl

Post by Carl »

The sandbox has become my extended family of friends...Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!!
gplume

Post by gplume »

A little late, but thanks captain Patrick for the website. Been an owner since 2005, but have had this site book marked since nearly the begining, (I am thinkingh 1999-2000 time frame). The contacts , friends , and info/data has been unbelievable. Best and most knowledgable boating site on the web.
Giff
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i have my 31 since 1999 and was there when the site started. it seems like the capt. was visiting the boat every day as i took her from a empty hull and built it. made many mistakes but the capt. was always there to straighten things out. on behaff of my love ones and myself who come to enjoy this 31 every year------thanks brother
capt.bob lico
bero13010473