Repo'd 35 on ebay

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Jack

Repo'd 35 on ebay

Post by Jack »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bertram- ... 3a60bcd957

Saw this ad on eBay. Boat is in Md and supposed to have b series Cummins with 50 hrs.
unabashed hyena lover
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

If I was 20 years younger, I'd chase that down.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Aren't the diesels alone worth more than that or are they the low hp 5.9s?
Man, I should buy that just to put those diesels in my 31! It's auction though would problably not be the final price? I will fly there right NOW and check this out if these are good diesels,or anyone want to check it out for me ? Bruce, what do you say on these?
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Guys - look at the pix of the motor....it looks like a 210 hp 6BT, i.e. no aftercooler. The "description", little that it is, states also its a 6BT, not a 6BTA. If so, 210 or 220 hp ain't gonna push that puppy very fast, maybe cruise at 15 kts? Walt - you have the 6BTs, am I right? All the higher hp 6BTAs over the 250/270s have the aftercooler on the port side and on this one it looks like the turbo air goes straight from the turbo to the intake?

Guess this proves what we all already knew: these damn things will bankrupt ya.....

UV
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Those motor would do well in a 31. 15,000. for that boat seems like a steal if you were going to just take the motors out.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Seven days left on auction, reserve not met, nine bids so far. Started at 10K, up to 15.3K now. UV, worth the trouble or no, being non aftercooled?
In Memory of Vicroy

No, not worth the trouble if they are the 210/220 hp models....even at 15k and throw the boat away its probably marginal by the time you take them out. They are okay for a B31 but the 250/270 and up is a lot better for the same money.

Be interesting to see what she finally goes for, suspect it will be in the 35k+ range since the boat looks clean and some rookie may pay a fortune without know the motors are short.

UV
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Alright then UV, I'll call it off. I was making the wife nervous anyway...
We'll see what happens like you said on bids, I'm sure there are dealers out there with turbo- bid within the last hour of auction time. Thanks for your quick advice..You know I trust you guys and would jump on it if told!
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Those 6bs already in there take alot of the work out of a repower with recons.. they could be sold or cores..,
Wayne
In Memory of Vicroy

Roger that Wayne....a pair of 6CTAs would be the ticket but maybe not a drop in (they are taller than the Bs) assuming the shafts & struts are sufficient. Some 330 6BTAs would do but that's a lotta boat for 5.9 liter engines to push.....

The Money's In The Iron.......

UV
John F.

Post by John F. »

There was an early-80s 35 (tournament bridge/formica interior) for sale around here with 330 Cummins 6btas that was in decent shape that wound up selling for around $40K. That boat was close to splash ready and pretty nice. The B28 with new Volvo D4-260s in it, running, that I mentioned before supposedly was had for $10K--I was second in line. It looks like some folks have financed their repowers, and then wound up upside down by alot when the market crashed. There's probably more to come.

For those motors in a B31--gears would probably be wrong, as would props and shafts. So you get motors and a bunch of stuff to sell. I'm about 1 1/2 hours away and if anybody is really serious, I'll go take a look. But please be serious about it before I take a day...

Happy Thanksgiving.

John F.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I have a pair of the 210's turning 20 x 20 cupped wheels and cruise @ 21-22 knots even with an end-of-season bottom. I get 1.5+ npg and that's at 2400 rpm. WOT is 2650 on those engines. I've been happy as hell with them for 2500 hours. My trannies are Twin Disc 1.5:1 and I kept my 1 3/8" shafts if that means anything to you on a gas to diesel conversion.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks for all the info, I'll wait for something better to come along. Right now I can't even find good MPI gas for a decent deal. Considering the general doesn't manufacture the 454 anymore, you'd think there should be some deals out there, none I've seen.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Rocky-

I was told by a local mercruiser dealer that mercruiser gets motors back from manufacturers now and then, and that they can be had for a pretty good deal. If you can't get BBs, I'd think hard about strokers--I think the mercs. are 6.2s. Talk to your local mercruiser dealer. A place called michiganmotorz advertises that they have fresh GM 454s. I'd give some thought to good ol' carbed 454s with Edelbrock 600s and Edlebrock manifolds--easy to work on and pretty basic. But that's me--I'm not a mechanic and I get the impression you are. I like the idea that most carb/fuel problem can be addressed by swapping out a carb--

John
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thank you Jack for posting that possible great deal, as you now know I am looking for engines!
John, I did try a local Mercruiser dealer with no luck, but will try another, perhaps with more volume and ask them about the motors back. Comes right back to those darn 6.2Ls, we had discussed before a while back. My 6.0L chevy truck (with a Eaton/roots super charger) produces 500hp and close to 500ft lbs of torque, and the torque at only 2800rpm. Tows the Bertram without a sweat, including up the grapevine from LA to SF. As far as injection goes I am quite familiar with and comfortable with it's systems. If I were to go MPI as Bruce said ,would need the ZF trans to turn the one engine opposite direction.
But now's the time to fit whatever I put in, as I'm rebuilding engine beds.
I have my BBs sitting in my outbuilding, but am hesitant to rebuild due to rwc.,esp. the heads. 15K each is the best number I've seen for 6.2s with ZFs complete. Diesels then seem to make more sense at that price.
coolair

Post by coolair »

rocky just get you couple junkyard 6.0s and some superchargers and the zf gears and let it eat!! man i think i need to put a supercharger on my chevrolet

I really think i am just gonna rebuild my 460s when it comes time. If you have the block cleaned and checked i dont think you should have anything to worry about. As far as heads, i mean there are millions for a 454
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Matt I was an installer for Magnacharger at one time, and did mine on the side. Fun install and very beneficial for torque/towing as displacement theoretically increases. I put 130K miles on truck since install, runs same as then, no problems.
John F.

Post by John F. »

There are a lot of fwc 454 blocks out there. When I got my boat 8+ years ago, the 454s hadn't run in 2 years, and coded out to 1978s. The boat was on the hard, so we ran them at idle and took compression tests. I bought the boat with the idea that if I got anything out of the motors, it'd be a bonus. They're still running.....new carbs, ignition, water pumps, belts, hoses, etc., but they're still running. Tough to kill a 454.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Rocky wrote:Matt I was an installer for Magnacharger at one time, and did mine on the side. Fun install and very beneficial for torque/towing as displacement theoretically increases. I put 130K miles on truck since install, runs same as then, no problems.
We used to build the Ripp SuperCharger Systems...Quick bolt on power.

Rocky...sometimes its best not to look for deals on motors, but deals on boats. Guy in my marina picked up a 33' Down Easter style boat that looked like it went to war and back...owner just needed to get out...3500 bucks...had two fresh Perkins in her. Originally he was going to yank the motors and cut up the boat...but as he got into her he realized it was really a well made boat...much better then the one he had, so lots of TLC and the boat is sweet...with two diesels.

Another guy at the dock just boat an old crappy Mainship 35...paid 4000. Boat has a pair of new 454's...okay a few seasons old but less then 100hrs.

Just something to consider...
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Just one of those things for me at least, while I have this boat down to bare bones I don't want to "whish I went diesel", on the other hand money is really quite an issue so back up and punt. Back to the 454 building mine or some fwc ones is definitely the least expensive route.
I hear what your saying on the cheap boat idea Carl, thanks. I think that ebay bertram is up to over 20K and over 17 bids! Like I said, there's going to be a bunch of guys with turbo-bid at the last hour of auction.
Bet it will be past what the boat's worth.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I wasn't really referring to that 35' boat...but more of one in your own backyard.

These past few years I have seen some outrageous deals...marina repos that went for next to nothing. If I had the time and some cash I could have taken advantage of some awesome deals.

Then again a good rebuild you know what you have...its the route we went years ago with the 440's.... and other then redoing the heads because of Corn Juice I can't complain.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Not that the boat should be stressful, but this part of it seems to be...
Thanks Carl, I do have a possible fwc 454s chance to buy, just need some more info on them from owner. Comes with trans, don't know what trans as of yet. They would be good, at least to do some checks/measurements on before use, less than 500 hours on them, and then I would know what I have for sure. Thank you again, lots of folks on the gasser idea. Cannot count it out.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

In the last 6 months of working, I got hooked up with a local marina, broker and bank on checking repo's that got picked up and delivered to the marina.

35' range up to over 100'.

Every single one was trashed in one way or another. Many were bought by those seeking a good deal or the chance to flip after fixing up.

An over whelming majority of those folks ended up losing the boat themselves after running out of money.

The only person who won was me cause I had an iron contract to be paid by the marina and not anyone else.

The other day I ran into a mechanic who worked on some Detroits in a repo I did some electrical work on. I got paid, he got stiffed by the owner for thousands after the boat was repo'd from the delusion of grandure buyer.

Like the boobs on tv hawking their make money in real estate books, If it was that lucrative everyone would be doing it. And on a side note because everyone tried to do it, the housing bubble broke.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Food for thought and some perspective, thank you Bruce. If it sounds too good.......
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

35 Bertram- 31 Bertram They both cost about the same to redo, a little more material on the 35 but time wise they are close.

Bottom line is if you have 100K to buy a boat then buy a 100K boat that runs, you will not save much money by redoing one yourself.

For a split second I thought- wow put the 6BT engines in CHIMERA and the 6BTA's in the 35- dump CHIMERA and start a new project. Then reality kicked and it basically said, and I'll quote here; "Hey asshole your boat runs great and looks better than any 35 ever could, get back to sanding."
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
John F.

Post by John F. »

With the market the way it was, I always thought that if you wanted and could afford a really nicely redone B31, you should buy someone's that's been redone---like Buddy Boy, Seanile, Fighting Angel. With the market the way it is now, you'e be way better off buying a boat already done. Boat prices have crashed--prices for a set of diesels, f'glass work, and paint--not so much. My 2 cents.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I really enjoy working on the old girl, and would not be spending all this time /effort on any other boat, that's me. A fully customized 31 like those you named John, oh yeah you bet if I had that kind of dough! Your getting a great deal even at 200K considering how much went into those beauties.
They are absolutely gorgeous boats all done up.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Some real good reasoning here. You guys have come a long way.
Makes me feel good, you know like getting your 12 year old son a hooker for his birthday.
coolair

Post by coolair »

you got a hooker for your birthday??? lucky sob
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Bruce your killin me! Somehow I don't see that working for daughters..
I knew there was a reason I was wishing for a son.