Cost to rechrome Lee Senior outrigger bases?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

IRGuy

Cost to rechrome Lee Senior outrigger bases?

Post by IRGuy »

I have removed the (apparently) original equipment Lee Senior outrigger bases in preparation for painting "Phoenix". I am considering replacing all the original chromed bronze deck fittings (very pitted and getting green in places) with new stainless steel since I have been told buying new SS parts today is actually cheaper than rechroming the originals. I can get pretty good discounts on new deck fittings.

I am considering either replacing the old Lee Seniors with new Lee Juniors, or having the Lee Seniors rechromed. New Lee Junior bases can be had for about $950-1000 or so. This is a little much for me to shell out now, but if I have to change bases and fill in old base mounting holes now is the time to do it.

All the plating companies I talk to say to send all the parts or bring them in to them and they will give me a price for the rechroming. I could spend a small fortune in freight and gas trying to get prices.

Can someone give me a rough estimate or price range for a good rechroming job on my existing bases? I have no idea what to budget.

Thanks!

Frank B
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
nestorpr

Post by nestorpr »

I would suggest you keep the Lee Sr. bases, they go much better with the boat's style and are extremely adjustable. The Lee Jr. bases would fit but they would be at a very low angle and wouldn't work as well.

I'm very interested in any responses as I also have a set I bought last year at a very low price. They're actually in pretty decent shape but definitely need a re-plating job.
Looking for my next boat!
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

we had 4 original cowl vents, which are pretty large, a thru-hull fitting, and a pair of BERTRAM 31 emblems to the chrome shop, it was something like $400-$450.

I can say without a doubt that the chrome hardware outshines the new taiwan stainless stuff by a mile, but as you know the stainless is so cheap now and will not require rechrome
Dug

Post by Dug »

Re-Chrome. It is a very good option, and looks right. You have to be careful where the stainless comes from. I re-chromed all the stuff on Alchemy about 7-8 years ago, and it still looks pretty damned good for the most part. I used American Electro plating in NJ. Dave Mitchell is very familiar with B-31 parts and did a great job.

He also re-chromed a set of Lee seniors for me. I sold them afterwards, long story. That being said, I have a full tool building machine shop at my disposal and I used them to re-assemble the stuff, and in some cases to dis-assemble the riggers before sending. You will have to take them all apart. You will have to chase holes with threads and pin holes, and you will have to do it right so as not to wreck the chroming job. Dave will be as carefull as he can, but in the end it is a plating process, meaning material is added. You will be very pleased with the outcome, but it will take some elbow grease. Go into it knowing this.

Good luck and happy shiny stuff!!!!

Dug
JDavis

re chroming

Post by JDavis »

We had a bow choc, 4 clam shell vents, 2 bearclaw blower covers, 2 bertram emblems, 2 steps (going up to bridge) 4 original Lee rod holders, and 2 gunnel corners done for $1200. Came out to around $70 per item. I know some are more expensive to do than others but that was about the average.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Lee does no longer makes any parts for the Senior riggers and used ones are in much demand. Re chrome them by all means. The tubes are stainless, BTW.

UV
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Thanks guys for all your good input. The jury is still out but I have decided to look carefully at the rechroming option before I make any committments.

re: UV's comments..

I was under the impression that Lee Tackle was based in Miami, until last week I went to their web site to get a phone number so I could call them and ask about how to disassemble the handles. I was pleasantly surprised to find they have relocated to, of all places, Wilmington, NC, about 15 miles from my house. Rather than calling I went unannounced to their offices/factory with part of the base and asked the receptionist to please let me speak with someone who could give me the info I needed. I was met in the lobby by Andrew and Jessie Lee, brother and sister, who are today the 4th generation of owners. Very nice people, and very accomodating. The company has been in their family for 70 years. Andrew explained what to do to remove the handles, and told me a little about their operation. He also gave me enough small roll pins to reassemble the handles.. no charge. They use Gulf Plating in Fort Lauderdale for all their plating. He alse told me they still have some unique parts for the Seniors in stock, and a few are common with the Juniors. If anyone here wants me to go there to get something direct from them let me know.. it will certainly speed up the process.

I called Gulf Plating, thinking I could get a price for rechroming the Seniors, but of course the guy there said he needed a picture of all the parts before he could gice me a price. I had not thought enough about it until he told me that he never sees an assembled outrigger base.. he only sees individual parts when they come in lots of tens and hundreds for plating. I will take a picture of all the parts that make up a disassembled base and send it to him for an estimate. I will also take a picture of all the deck parts I am planning on replacing with SS, with the hope that just maybe the total cost for rechroming everything will be less than buying all new parts and bases.
Frank B
--------------
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Thanks for the info, that's good to know. Glad the 4th generation is nicer than the 2d and 3d that I've had the misery of trying to deal with....maybe living and working in Miami does that to you?

UV
Harv

Post by Harv »

Raybo Marine NY wrote:we had 4 original cowl vents, which are pretty large, a thru-hull fitting, and a pair of BERTRAM 31 emblems to the chrome shop, it was something like $400-$450.

I can say without a doubt that the chrome hardware outshines the new taiwan stainless stuff by a mile, but as you know the stainless is so cheap now and will not require rechrome
Do you use Nassau Plating? I have used them several times and find their work to be flawless. I chromed 4 cowl vents, 2 hawspipes, 2 bow chocks, and had the aluminum legs for the fighting chair pedestal polished....also came in around $4-$450.
Harv
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

Harv wrote: Do you use Nassau Plating? I have used them several times and find their work to be flawless. I chromed 4 cowl vents, 2 hawspipes, 2 bow chocks, and had the aluminum legs for the fighting chair pedestal polished....also came in around $4-$450.
yes, been using them since the stone age.
I figure there is always a minimum charge, so its always better to just send everything in at once
Russ

Post by Russ »

Dug is on the money when he recomended American. I had my bases done by Dave about 5 years ago. Cost was 400.00ollars. Ialso had cleats done. Dave came to Carvers in Point Pleasant and took the bases apart. Lots of small pieces and pins and dowles. I don't think Dave is with American anymore though. Chrome still looks like the day it was done.Russ
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Russ Said:

I don't think Dave is with American anymore though. Chrome still looks like the day it was done.

Russ, I think Dave's partner has the business now. He did a my scuppers for me a couple of years ago. Look great.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Just to wrap this subject up, and to give you all something to use as an order of magnitude estimate for yourselves, I have finally received quotes to rechrome my two Lee Senior outrigger bases. I sent RFQs to Gulf Plating (in Fort Lauderdale, the company Lee Tackle still uses), NuChrome (in Fall River, MA, recommended by someone on another site), and two semi local NC companies, Simmons Polishing and Plating, (in South Hope Mills, NC) and ChromeRite Plating (recommended by a high level yacht yard here in Wilmington, in Fayetteville, NC).

Not including any shipping costs, the quotes are as follows...

Simmons $1,350
Gulf Plating 1,150
NuChrome 900
ChromeRite 760

With all your comments above urging me to keep the Lee Seniors, even though I can get a set of Lee Juniors for around $950 or so, I have opted to have my present bases rechromed by ChromeRite. I have spoken a couple of times with ChromeRite (a husband and wife business apparently) and have been pleased with their answers. Keeping the old bases gives me the added advantage of not having to install new backing plates, etc, which is certainly doable, but a pain in the butt.

Thanks for all your helpful comments.
Frank B
--------------
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Ask the cheaper people exactly how many layers of plating they are doing.
Its not uncommon to get cheaper work and have it turn to crap a few years down the road.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Bruce...

Thanks for the input.. I will do that. How many layers would the higher quality jobs use?

Or maybe I should be asking how thick the finished chrome is when the plating process is completed?

And... is there any way I can check to see how much chrome was actually deposited?
Last edited by IRGuy on Dec 23rd, '10, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.
Frank B
--------------
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

A quality chrome plating job consists of several plating steps:

First a copper strike to increase the conductivity of the item.

Second a full nickle plating to completely cover the copper and yield a white background.

Third the chrome to completely cover the nickle.

A single plating layer of chrome is almost never adequate enough for exterior exposure.

A double plating, (cleaned & polished between layers), is average and will stand up to most external environmental conditions. Most commercially chrome plated items are double plated.

Triple plated is the best and will hold up well in a salt atmosphere with proper care. Most motorcycle chrome is triple plated.

For boat parts, any thing less than a copper strike, a nickle plate, and two layers of chrome isn't worth the money you'll pay...
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

IRGuy wrote: Or maybe I should be asking how thick the finished chrome is when the plating process is completed?
Yes, this is the correct question.
IRGuy wrote: And... is there any way I can check to see how much chrome was actually deposited?
You can measure directly with the right device, but it is expensive and measuring on the diameter will be tough. So, the smart way to do this is to pick a couple of spots on the tubes and measure them with a micrometer or a good caliper before sending them out. Best is to measure areas that already is missing the chrome. Record your measurements, then re measure the same areas when they are returned.

If you measured bare areas then your new measurements will tell you exactly how much chrome was deposited. if you measure chromed areas, then the measurement should be at least the same if not larger. I hope that helps.
John C

Post by John C »

Run away if it is not triple dipped. It is alot of work to take them apart and reassemble. You only want to do it once..been down that road.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Capt Pat is exactly right about the procedure. I can recommend a great plater in Connecticut that specializes in Aerospace and also does a lot of plating on firearms. They are literally across the street from Ruger Arms. The company is Superior Plating, they are doing some very complicated hydraulic cylinders I am making for the Israeli Army's Ch-53 fleet, and there work has been outstanding.

I can not recommend them too highly. http://www.superiorplatingco.com/

Superior Plating
2 Lacey Place
Southport, CT 06890
(203) 255-1501
coolair

Post by coolair »

but u gotta rember u can tripple dip all day long but if all the prep and the polishing and clean between steps isnt done, the it dont matter
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854