Just picked up a 31

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

billyo

Just picked up a 31

Post by billyo »

Went in on what appears to be a great Bertram 31. It is on its way to Costa Rica as i write. I am from assachusetts and will take on the adventure of running a charter business with my native friend capt Eddy in CR. Anyone here familiar with this boat ?

Last edited by billyo on Oct 3rd, '10, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.
New member of the Bertram clan.

1970 31' Classic

Hull # 1092104
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Images haven't appeared.
billyo

Post by billyo »

I can't figure out how on this site.(Sorry) But i do have some posted on another site http://www.newenglandfishing.net/index. ... opic=39331

Anyways it has twin yanmars and appears to be in great shape. I am glad to have found this site so as when i have questions this looks like a great place to get answers.

1970 31' Classic

Hull # 1092104
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

billyo

Post by billyo »

Thanks capt.A little different from what i am used to but i'll get it sooner or later.. I do not do well with CHANGE..

1970 31' Classic

Hull # 1092104
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Was the pic that you posted taken near Greenport NY?

This past summer we were on our way to ISLIP, after leaving the Greenport Rendezvous, when I noticed a 31 on the hill for sale.
Billyo wrote: I do not do well with CHANGE..
As it turns out a lot of us are feeling the same way.....I'll stop here so that the Capt does not move my post to the Politics page.....LOL

hb
hb
billyo

Post by billyo »

Pic was taken in Southold NY.. Boat is on the back of a truck right now headed to Fla and on to Costa Rica. No more snow for me..

1970 31' Classic

Hull # 1092104
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

harry
thats the one, best of luck with her, iam sure she will love her new home
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i guess coming from long island we all know the former owner . i have family on shelter island and dock there a couple of weeks a year . go thing the owner didn`t drive this boat like he drive cars!!! i came along side him in the paconic i wave and we both drop the hammer together that boats runs 31knots maybe a little more. beautiful boat ,well taken care of.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Good luck with her, life with no more snow....jealous.
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Ric

costa rica bound

Post by Ric »

bilyo.,.,.,.can you give me the particulars on your boats journey to costa rica .,.,.are you using dockwise ,,i have begun an investigation of bringing my boat to costa rica ,.,.,seems thru the panama canal and arround to golfito ,,I was considering quepos as its destination. They just built a brand new marina there and slips to own are going for 200/250 k.,.,I was wondering about taxes fees and other information needed to bring the boat into the country ,,forms paperwork? a costa rican Lawyer?,, is your boat traveling out of miami or Lauderdale? what will be its destination,,there are a few charter opoerations in Guanacaste (northwest pacific) using 31 berts ,,I saw 5 31 berts on moorings in quepos(southwest pacific) last year at this time.,.,.,I myself have a serious itch to make a move,,I was wondering if we could could keep in touch.,.,.,my e/mail is kidkoo@aol.com
spencer

Post by spencer »

was there in quepos a approx 9 months ago, fishing was excellent and they were in the process of building the marina, looks first class,

Lot of americans there , running charters out of quepos, and a lot of americans living there in the town.
billyo

Re: costa rica bound

Post by billyo »

Ric wrote:bilyo.,.,.,.can you give me the particulars on your boats journey to costa rica .,.,.are you using dockwise ,,i have begun an investigation of bringing my boat to costa rica ,.,.,seems thru the panama canal and arround to golfito ,,I was considering quepos as its destination. They just built a brand new marina there and slips to own are going for 200/250 k.,.,I was wondering about taxes fees and other information needed to bring the boat into the country ,,forms paperwork? a costa rican Lawyer?,, is your boat traveling out of miami or Lauderdale? what will be its destination,,there are a few charter opoerations in Guanacaste (northwest pacific) using 31 berts ,,I saw 5 31 berts on moorings in quepos(southwest pacific) last year at this time.,.,.,I myself have a serious itch to make a move,,I was wondering if we could could keep in touch.,.,.,my e/mail is kidkoo@aol.com
Email sent

1970 31' Classic

Hull # 1092104
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

We should all move there. Start our own lodge with a fleet of B31's.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Mean Mike,
Let's do it!
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

i could do that
tjhartsr

Post by tjhartsr »

the ex owner has some props 11/8 i think as well as some front window covers?fyi,i have his e mail if anyone needs ,tom
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

bob lico wrote:i guess coming from long island we all know the former owner . i have family on shelter island and dock there a couple of weeks a year . go thing the owner didn`t drive this boat like he drive cars!!! i came along side him in the paconic i wave and we both drop the hammer together that boats runs 31knots maybe a little more. beautiful boat ,well taken care of.
was prior owner the guy "from the town of Oyster Bay long island" ?
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
randall

Post by randall »

yes
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

When I was 9 we would go to the Wales Tail and stand on our bike seats and drink beers watching this guy play the piano and sing. I think thats his boat.
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

I think the boat originally was owned by a Delta/Northeast Captain and was called Yellowbird. Bill
Bill
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Brewster - "when I was 9 ... ... drink beer... ..."

My oldest is 8. I may have lived a sheltered life, but the only beer I ever drank at that age was taking sips from my fathers'.

Ian.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

The windows behind the bar were held open with 2x4s. The bartender would give us beers for 2$ a glass. We would look through the bottles and watch Billy play. We did not know who he was. Now when I think of it I dont think he was anybody then. Beer was the least of what we were doing wrong at 9. Im still here so....
Harv

Post by Harv »

ianupton wrote:Brewster - "when I was 9 ... ... drink beer... ..."

My oldest is 8. I may have lived a sheltered life, but the only beer I ever drank at that age was taking sips from my fathers'.

Ian.
The only beer I drank at that age was was Root...
and the only ale I drank was Ginger...
Harv
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Sounds like Brew was a Baaaaaad Boy!
randall

Post by randall »

i saw him play a bar on LI before his first album and talked to him out on the sidewalk...nice guy then and the few times i talked to him since....nice guy now. he's opening a bike shop up island. and he builds some really outstanding boats.

didnt drink beer at 9. but got my first boat at 12 and then all hell broke loose. mom had to come bail me out!

gonna keep that name?
billyo

Post by billyo »

Are you guys saying the former owner was BJ ? and is that why its named Rock Star?

1970 31' Classic

Hull # 1092104
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

If that was BJ's boat he bought it from a member of the Faithful in FL. Told the story at a UVI. He didn't know who the purchaser was, even after meeting him. Just some guy who flew in to look at and then buy his 31. Later someone at his marina who saw the purchaser identified him for our member. Vic will remember who.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

iam confused and that does not take much, i thought tom harts boat cleo was bjs
Dug

Post by Dug »

It was Charlie, you are right.

The previous owner of this boat was Davidms I believe.

He was sad to see her go, but I think he hopes she is going to a good home. Tom Ward was the broker.

Dug
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

yes dug
and at one time he wanted to part out the tower
Dug

Post by Dug »

Brand new tower and riggers...
randall

Post by randall »

beats me about the boat.....but i dont remember davids boat as "rock star"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

what hp yanmars werein that boat? charlie , dug are you saying there was another owner after bj and the boat kept the same name?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

we need to have fred giese chime in on this subject, hes using the old new engines that apparently came out of bjs boat.
hello fred, you out there
billyo

Post by billyo »

Dug wrote:It was Charlie, you are right.

The previous owner of this boat was Davidms I believe.

He was sad to see her go, but I think he hopes she is going to a good home. Tom Ward was the broker.

Dug
She is going to a great new home (Never to see snow again) It has 225HP Yanmars and who ever the previous owner was he or she has a free day fishing in Costa Rica on me.

1970 31' Classic

Hull # 1092104
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

225hp yanmars? that not what it had when i saw it. 4cyl. would be 230hp older 240hp newer ----6cyl 250 hp or 315hp newer version /all mechanical engines .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
billyo

Post by billyo »

bob lico wrote:225hp yanmars? that not what it had when i saw it. 4cyl. would be 230hp older 240hp newer ----6cyl 250 hp or 315hp newer version /all mechanical engines .
Well as you can see i don't YET know much about these things .But yes they are 4cyl and the survey said "Yanmar MODEL / HP: 4LHA-STE / 226 hp" But i will take your word. I don't know if that is older or newer. I will add you could eat off them..

1970 31' Classic

Hull # 1092104
Dug

Post by Dug »

I assumed it was Daves boat. I don't think Billy would have named his boat Rock Star. Just doesn't seem like his way of doing things. I believe his boat was the one that was next to me in Greenport, named Chloe.

Anyway, good luck with the boat. I hope you serve each other well!

For sure!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

your right dug not his way judging from the custom boats he made on shelter island. i am confused to say the least.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

billyo
the 4lha ste are 230s same engine iam running, great engines
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

billyo you cannot do better then those 230 hp yanmars for fuel economy ,especially in a charter boat. my son corrected me ,we saw the boat in the distance and overtook on a diagonal course thats why she appear that fast.the guy driving was not bj. the top was a differant style.anyways lots of luck in your new endeavor you have a great start!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
billyo

Post by billyo »

bob lico wrote:billyo you cannot do better then those 230 hp yanmars for fuel economy ,especially in a charter boat. my son corrected me ,we saw the boat in the distance and overtook on a diagonal course thats why she appear that fast.the guy driving was not bj. the top was a differant style.anyways lots of luck in your new endeavor you have a great start!
I was not there for the sea trial. ( I couldn't be there unfortunately)I sent a boat mechanic down for that. He claims that they hit 31 knots at WOT.I am not sure that was possible but it was what i was told.Either way I do understand that the yanmars in it are very economical for our intentions and i have a skidsteer with a yanmar that has 4,200 trouble free hours and purrs like a chicken. Like i said i will keep my fingers crossed.I was skeptical on becoming a part owner on a boat that was 40 years old But my partner who has been on boats his whole life assured me that B31's are built for the long run and age was not nearly as important as condition. I will trust his many years experience and give it a shot. He swears by these boats.

1970 31' Classic

Hull # 1092104
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

So do we!
randall

Post by randall »

no way on the 31 knots but you will never have to explain to anyone that knows anything about boats why you bought a bertram. this crew is just an unforeseen bonus. a very big one.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

The 4LH Yanmars will push a B31 to 31 knots and maybe a touch faster,,,,,,, IF:

The boat is very lightly loaded, low on fuel, running with a stiff wind at your transom, and/or running with a stiff current...

28 - 29 kt is the norm for these engines coupled with 2:1 gears in B31 at wot. Should be able to cruise all day at 24 kt, conditions permitting.

I was skeptical on becoming a part owner
The fastest sinking vessel has always been a partner ship...
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

BJ bought his B31 from the late Sonny Morrel in SW FL. Sonny attended a UVI or 2. Sonny put the Cummins in and BJ sold those motors to Fred, then installed 315 Yanmars. It was yellow when Sonny had her and think the name was "Yellow Bird"? Sonny was a retired Delta pilot and died a few years ago. I have a few pix of him and some of the other Faithful on the dock at Port Eads opening a bottle of wine with an Easy Out chucked up in a cordless drill. Some of Sonny's pilot stories were over-the-top funny. Great guy and we miss him.

UV
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

R.I.P Sonny....

Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

ive had mine up to 32kts on the right conditions
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Thanks, Vic, Pat. Great memories. That was UVI II.
Behind Sonny is Capt Mike Holmes, who had an express that came to a bad end in a hurricane. He still writes boating and fishing articles for several magazines. Think he still lurks about even though his Black Sheep is gone.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein