Hydraulic steering and autopilot

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

FWHaas3

Hydraulic steering and autopilot

Post by FWHaas3 »

Yesterday in the canyon I lost hydraulic steering fluid from one of the hoses immediately to the rear of the junction with the autopilot. There are three hydraulic lines running to the rear of the boat beyond the auto pilot. As a result of the fluid loss, I lost control of the rudders at the wheel. However, the auto pilot still worked and I was able to run home using the autopilot, which is a four hour trip. Question: Are the hydraulics for the auto pilot separate from the hydraulics for the wheel. If so, that's a nice safety feature. If not, I don't understand how I was able to steer for four hours using the auto pilot, but had no pressure from the wheel. Any thoughts would be appreciated. At this point I am not sure which hose has the leak, since they are bundled and I have not begun the troubleshooting process. I am just trying to understand the system.

Fred Haas
Frederick W. Haas
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Part of the same system. Depending on where your check valve block is that could have prevented total failure. Its used to keep the auto pilot from rotating the wheel when operating.
FWHaas3

Hydraulic fluid leak

Post by FWHaas3 »

Update: The leak is in the auto pilot pump, not the hoses. The fluid is running from the pump down on to the hose bundle. The auto pilot is a B&G Network Pilot. It appears that the pump can be removed and replaced fairly easily. Questions: Can the pump be rebuilt? Is there an aftermarket pump available or must I use a B&G pump? Is a pump still available from B&G? Any thoughts to point me in the right direction would be appreciated before I start to spend money.

Fred Haas
Frederick W. Haas
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

What kind of Pilot is it?
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

The pumps aren't cheap. B&G?
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

The new pump I put in this spring was 850$. The last one made it 16 years so I cant say anything.
FWHaas3

Autopilot Pump leak

Post by FWHaas3 »

The auto pilot is a B&G. I will let you know the price of the pump for
future reference. I have looked on the B&G web site. I just need to tie down the pump that goes with my system.

Fred Haas
Frederick W. Haas
FWHaas3

Autopilot pumps

Post by FWHaas3 »

Update: The B&G pump # is PMP-T1-12V. Retail is $900, wholesale is $675. It is out of stock. Available in four to six weeks from the UK.

A Simrad pump # RPU-80 is a suitable sub. Retail $825, wholesale $625. Available immediately. Only issue with using the Simrad pump is the threads for the plumbing, which can be overcome with an adapter.

B&G tech staff recommended the Simrad pump without hesitation.

Fred Haas
Frederick W. Haas
34Hatt

Re: Autopilot pumps

Post by 34Hatt »

FWHaas3 wrote:Update: The B&G pump # is PMP-T1-12V. Retail is $900, wholesale is $675. It is out of stock. Available in four to six weeks from the UK.

A Simrad pump # RPU-80 is a suitable sub. Retail $825, wholesale $625. Available immediately. Only issue with using the Simrad pump is the threads for the plumbing, which can be overcome with an adapter.

B&G tech staff recommended the Simrad pump without hesitation.

Fred Haas
When you install the new pump use Bruce's recommendation of putting valves in-between the hoses and pump. That way if you have a pump problem easy R&R.
I installed mine a few months prior and wish I had thought of it!
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
FWHaas3

Auto Pilot pump

Post by FWHaas3 »

Good suggestion! Until you hit me over the head with the suggestion, I was assuming the valves were already in the system. Maybe they are not. I will pursue when I remove the old pump.

Thanks for the thought.

fred haas
Frederick W. Haas
FWHaas3

Auto pilot pump

Post by FWHaas3 »

Update: Installed the Simrad pump this weekend. Actual pump installation is simple. Three hoses and two wires. Got the fittings to adapt my hoses to the Simrad pump from a local hydraulic shop.

If the pump runs in the wrong direction after connecting wires and hoses, just reverse the wires. Fortunately, mine ran in the right direction on the frirst try.

Bleeding the Hynautic system also worked as the directions said it would. the key is the bleeder valves on the bottom of the reservoir and lots of wheel turning.

Bleeding the autopilot lines also worked as the instructions said.

The system took a little over 1/2 gallon of hydraulic fluid, which I purchased on the internet from skygeek for about $40/gallon. West marine is $25/quart.

Simrad pump can be purchased for about $650 if you work at it.

If you have chatter in your wheel a good bleed job will remove the air in your system and eliminate the chatter.

Fred haas
Frederick W. Haas