Venice or Cypress cove marina?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

amuh60

Venice or Cypress cove marina?

Post by amuh60 »

Have some time off between Christmas and new year. I plan on running boat to Venice and leaving for the month of January. Which marina would yall choose? Is it possible to rent a car any where near the area? Will be fishing weather depending 2 of the weekends in January if anyone would like to go.

Andy
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Andy,
I was down there in August, last time. I'd go for Cypress Cove, where I keep my boat when in Venice and have since Katrina. Cleaner, less conjested, not as many people coming and going at all hours, but, if you want traffic, to meet some characters and alot of reports...VM is the place. Cypress Co costs more and is more secure (X's over) and has rooms overlooking your boat if you're nice.. I spent years at Venice Marina pre-Katrina but since have moved to CC.
You should be able to get a good slip at CC where VM the slip might not be so nice....check it out first at VM no matter what they tell you.
Forget about a rental car within 95 miles.
Maybe UV will chime in.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I don't know....I kept my boat and houseboat at Venice Marina for years and got along okay with everyone. Cypress is newer but has concrete docks which I hate, and is (or used to be) run by assholes. Its the place if you like assholes...everyone there is (or used to be) rude. Other than that, its okay.

Ditto on rental cars or for that matter, rental anything. Venice is pretty much the end of the world and little is available there since Katrina wiped the place out...bring everything you need with you other than fuel, ice, & Twinkies. Both marinas have half-ass little restaurants. My son, who is a full time fishing and hunting guide in Venice, has two very nice new rental mobile homes available about a mile up the road, and some fancy rental boat storage sheds too. He's Capt. Brent Roy, 225 268 8420. He lives up here in the Baton Rouge area but has a lodge in Venice. He does inshore fishing for specks and redfish and duck hunting trips.

UV
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Andy,

I like Venice better over Cypress Cove, nicer bunch of people compared to Cypress in my opinion. You will get some better reports on whats happening at Venice and ditto on rental car, Belle Chase is about as close as your gonna get one at. The friend we stay with at Venice has a camp there and thats where I kept my boat at for about 3 months.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Garry

Post by Garry »

Andy,

Most of the charter boats run out of Venice so fish reports will be more available there. Getting to the fuel dock at Venice is sometimes a challenge during the warmer months with all the guide boats. May not be as much of an issue this time of year. As others have reported CC is newer and nicer and has motel accomodations that are convenient. Venice has trailer cabins in the back but you will need a car to go back and forth to the boat on pier A.

As UV states, if the want something in Venice you better bring it with you.

I might be interested in making a trip with you in January pending weather. Cell 713-377-3743.

Good Luck on the trip down. Give yourself plenty of time as fog prevalent this time of the year and you do not want to try running Baptiste Collete in the fog or dark....its dicey finding the pass on a nice day.

Garry
Marshall Mahoney

Post by Marshall Mahoney »

Venice Marina over Cypress Cove.
Ditto on the ass holes at CC (or rather -- the assholes at Venice are not as bad). A lot of tuna are being caught on slow trolled live mullet so bring your cast net. Good chance of catching all the bait you need along the banks of the marina. Have also caught big pogies around the fish cleaning station.
--Marshall
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Andy,

As Garry was talking about the FOG, make sure your radar is tuned up and working good as running down there in fog will keep you on your toes. Tiger Pass was dredged so it should be ok if your headed out that way.

Hey Marshall,
How's it going on your B31, you got it ready?

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
randall

Post by randall »

hey marshall.....merry christmas!!....say hi to randy.

boat done?
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
randall

Post by randall »

my all time favorite 31................suzi probably got a new house extension after that one.
Marshall Mahoney

Post by Marshall Mahoney »

The kids are walking around in a daze -- I think they are coming down from a Christmas present high...

The boat's still in the drive way! Everything takes longer than expected and time to work on her is limited. However, I do see the light. (I've come a long way from Mike's pic). All fiberglass is complete (including a bottom job -- repairing blisters).

Need to:
Sand, prime, sand again, then paint.
Re-crome fittings/reassemble.
Have props/shafts checked (I had to put my SS rudders in a press to straighten -- they were bent at 20 degree angles).
Install new rub rail.
Re-assemble misc. other stuff.

Even though I'm on the home stretch -- I'm guessing I'm still a year out - bummer.

And yes -- Suzie's still pissed...
amuh60

Post by amuh60 »

Thanks for the info and advice. I am going to head over to Biloxi for a night or 2 and then run inside to Venice this week. I just want to have the boat in a secure spot down there for the month of January. Gary- I will definitely get in touch. We should at least get 1 or 2 weather windows thru January.
-Andy
kipp

Post by kipp »

Andy,
We use both marinas, but I prefer Venice Marina. Cypress is dead this time of year. I have a camp next to the Venice Inn. Welcome to use it. Targeted Species is still being worked on. Love to make a trip with you. Call me- 225 268-5617 or my son,Richard 225 268-0913
Kipp
kipp

Post by kipp »

Andy,
Where y'at. Make it to Venice?
Call if you need some help- 225 268-5617.
kipp
amuh60

Post by amuh60 »

Kipp-

I ran on Monday to the Grand Hotel, Point Clear. And ended up staying 2 nights with the wife. Yesterday would have been perfect for the run to Venice but my wife would not drive down to pick me up in Venice. I am still planning on going at least 2 weekends in January and would love for yall to come on a trip. Yall could teach me a few things down there. I will give you a call.

-Andy
kipp

Post by kipp »

Andy,
Not a bad stop over "point". In fact my wife and I are headed there for the weekend. Is your boat still at the Grand hotel? We are staying in the Spa building that overlooks the marina. Give me a shout, if you need any help or want me to check on her for you.
Happy New Year,
Kipp
amuh60

Post by amuh60 »

Kip-

We stayed for two nights in the marina. The first evening I ran up Mobile bay with 25 kt winds out of the NW and the front end of that cold front we had the Monday after Christmas. Needless to say I really had her tied down once we got in a slip there with the Northwest wind. The next day and night were great and then we headed back to Orange Beach in calm weather with light rain. We really enjoyed the stay there. I am still planning on Venice but not in 20 degree weather.

This was our slip. They also gave us access to all the facilities during our stay. Jerry Davidson is the dock master and a great fellow from my neck of the woods.

-ANDY
In Memory of Vicroy

Andy - I've been going to the Grand since I wuz a kid....me & the Bride take our kids and grandkids there for the 4th of July every year. The place dates back to the early 1800s, and drips class. The now deceased bartender, Bucky, made their signature Mint Juleps with fresh mint from his garden outside the bar door. He worked there something like 75 years and they have a bronze of him in the mint garden. Several great golf courses, a fishing pier, Rubico tennis courts and heavy duty peace & quiet. Safe & secure to let the kids just run. My stockbroker has a hi dollar house on the bay just south down the sidewalk. He made his $ the old fashioned way, the Lucky Sperm Club.

Your decision to not run to Venice in this weather is a good one, I was there since Sunday and its blue balls cold.

UV
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Vic,

Friend of mine called Monday wanting me to go down to Venice and go Tuna/Wally fishing with them today. Told them ya'll go on and get, it's just to damn cold. Hopefully it will warm up next week. 30% change of snow in P'cola Thursday afternoon. How about yall.

Andy I agree with Vic, good thing you held off from going down in this weather. Not fun running inside or outside.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
In Memory of Vicroy

About the same forecast here, depending on who you listen to. But little doubt its gonna be in the high teens for lows Friday and Sat. Me & the Bride are going to Miami Beach for the big anti-Q show in two weeks and it better warm up down there....may have to detour by Panama.

UV