ric/capy any news from the soggy north?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

offshore31

ric/capy any news from the soggy north?

Post by offshore31 »

every time i'm ready to fish, the weather sucks. how've you guys been doing? gonna do the family thing at least once this week (tues), but hope to make a run to the east to look for some fish. only good news is that we didn't start fishing until late aug in the past. so there's still time, i hope...
Joe A.
lurker (ex-b31r)
Ric

Post by Ric »

hey Joe wat up
havent been fishing to much ,,been preoccupied with other things. Good bite on Inner and outer pigeon hill the last 5 days 2 troll fish 80 plus inches ,,more than a few 60 plus inches,,it was wild so i heard,,,I went to 1st and 2nd island 3 days ago ,,and it was wall to wall whales and bait,,,,thats 20 miles offshore but the bite was at pigeon hill 26 miles out to the east,.,.,I heard good things about stellwagon on the northwest corner,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
capy

Post by capy »

I know 4 were caught friday out at the curl....by the same boat, fishing a live mackeral on a kite

It was dead this weekend though.
offshore31

Post by offshore31 »

Paul/Ric

Hoping to be out with my son tomorrow. Going to make bait at IOS and then head towards the curl. I'll stay there if it looks fishy, otherwise we'll head to the islands and then east. I'll be on 5 or 11 if you're around.

later
Joe
Bounty Hunter
Joe A.
lurker (ex-b31r)
offshore31

Post by offshore31 »

had a late start. got bait and was at 2nd island around noon. nothing happening there, but some boats to the s at 1st island. decided to keep going east and ran to the curl. found whales and bait so we drifted some macks and jigged. loaded the cooler with haddock, all the 10lb+ pollock you could want, a couple of cod and a nice wolffish. saw 1 tuna taken and had some marks but no joy for me. about 1/4 mile from us we see some whales and then fish breaking. getting ready to run over when a stick boat runs on top of them and puts everything down. pointed the nose west around 5pm, but ran into some pods of fish on the ride home. couldn't get a bite tho.

saw a cutter on the horizen, and then overheard an interesting radio conversation. next thing we hear them calling ric. so ric, did they board you?

maybe see you guys on the ledge
Joe
Joe A.
lurker (ex-b31r)
Ric

boarding

Post by Ric »

hey Joe,,,how's it goin...yeah I was at 1st island with huge balls of bait and wall to wall whales.... I saw that cutter off to the west and i see a few of my friends who were also dragging rigs there pick up and split in a hurry. Being as i was the only game in town . they came over ,looked me over hailed me and 4 guys with guns pull up beside me in an inflatable . 2 came on board .. young 20 somethings very polite checked the boat pulled all the hatches went into every locker I had everything ,,,my commercial flare kit had individual flARES THAT SOME WERE EXPIRED IN APRIL AND SOME IN MAY,,,BUT HE SAID AS THEY WERE WITHIN 6 MONTHS JUSY A WARNING. i DONT HAVE A RAFT and the first thing i did was check my distance to the isle of shoals(nearest land) and i was 10.5 miles to the east of it . within 12 miles which is the cutoff
,They knew exactly where i was and didnt even ask me about the raft,,,I asked them!,
did you hear them ask me on the radio when was the last time you were boarded
if i would sell a fish if i caught it,,"are you recreational fishing? what are you fishing for? I wanted to say kibbees but i thought twice. I dont think they would have enjoyed the humor 8) ,.,.,hey no problem
offshore31

Post by offshore31 »

kibbees, that would've been great!

when i heard them hail you i switched over and listened. they sounded very professional, seemed to be doing a good job. i was impressed, you had all the answers right away. i can't remember my doc # if they asked me!

so how'd you do? see anything? billy on bounty hunter trolled by me. we were marking as he went by. i said to my son, "it'd be great if we went off now" and then it looks like he went off. couldn't tell what happened for sure as he was about 1/4 mile away. saw some white water ahead of his boat as he was sitting there. he sat for about 30 min, and then he steams by me heading south.
Joe A.
lurker (ex-b31r)
offshore31

Post by offshore31 »

Guys, gonna head up to old scantum tomorrow. give me a shout if you're out there.

Joe
Joe A.
lurker (ex-b31r)
offshore31

Post by offshore31 »

spent sat on old scantum, pretty quiet there. yesterday made a late run to the curl, but it was a desert compared to last weekend. didn't mark anything, on the bottom or tuna. real slow pick on groundfish, even the head boats left.

were either of you out?
Joe A.
lurker (ex-b31r)
capy

Post by capy »

Joe, I was out both days, but not fishing. My fishing partner took his daughter out on a party boat thursday and they caught 1 cod and several pollack each.

He said the tuna feeds were spectacular and they were everywhere.....Half way hump, the cove and the speckled apron this was after low tide in the afternoon.

On saturday going out to the IOS I marked 10-12 on the speckled apron down about 110ft, as I sped over at about 20knts, but my gear was all stowed below decks(sight seeing trip) .

Coming back from the IOS I did see one surface feed about 3 nm from the shoals on 240 degrees, at about 3 in the afternoon....this prompted me to slow down to idle and I start assembling rods and spreaders to my passengers amazement....but about a dozen boats came flyin over as they saw me slow down.

I still think late this week with the new moon and the front from canada causing a wind shift will set off a bite late wed or thursday.
offshore31

Post by offshore31 »

lots of small fish around, all busting. they come up, bang some bait, and then they're down and pop up 1/2 mile away again. i'll be back next weekend as long as we don't get hit by that hurricane. give me a shout if you're out.
Joe A.
lurker (ex-b31r)