Removal of hydraulic steering arm from rudder tiller

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

FWHaas3

Post by FWHaas3 »

I am in the process of replacing my rudder tiller arms and tie rod and need to remove the hydraulic steering piston from the rudder tiller. The piston has an end piece that fits over the ball on the rudder tiller. The piston has a nut, against which the end piece appears to be tightened. There are no exposed threads on the piston to the inside of the nut.

I am assuming that I turn the nut and piston counterclockwise, while holding the end piece to open the connection on the end piece over the ball fitting. The end piece would then lift off the ball.

Can anyone confirm whether my understanding is correct.

Thanks in advance,

Fred Haas
Frederick W. Haas
STraenkle

Post by STraenkle »

I am not sure about your steering and I have not seen it, but most would come off like the tie rod. on the end of the "end piece" (socket) is there a slot with a cotter pin thru it? If so take out the pin and unscrew the cap on the end of the socket with a large flat screw driver in the slot that the cotter pin was in. I would guess the locking nut you are describing is the adjustment for the length of the shaft. But like I said I haven't seen it, but I could not imagine you should have to spin the piston off the socket to remove it.
Scott Traenkle
FWHaas3

Post by FWHaas3 »

Scott: Thanks for the input. I need to go down to the boat now and check the set up. On the tie rod ends there are definitely slotted screws with cotter pins. I need to check the hydraulic steering end piece (socket) to see if it has a slotted screw and cotter pin.

I understand what you are saying. That's why I asked the question. I also was uneasy about turning the piston to back the piston out of the socket.

Thanks again,

Fred
Frederick W. Haas
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Just don't disconnect a hydraulic fluid line without a set of end caps in hand. The ball joint should be easy to figure out once you're looking at it.