NJ DMV Question on Repower

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tony Meola

NJ DMV Question on Repower

Post by Tony Meola »

I went down to the DMV up here in North Jersey yesterday to ask them what I needed to provide them in order to change the boat registration from Gas to Diesel. They really were not sure and the lady behind the desk said to me that in the 38 years she has worked there no one has ever asked her that.

Does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. For those that have repowered and converted to diesel, did you have to show proof of the repower, to the DMV, a survey perhaps?

I am just trying to avoid having to go round and round with these folks.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

When you renew your registration you can change the form to reflect diesel power.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

What Charlie said.

Remember "Its easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask permission"

If your Catholic you should know this. "Just do 274 hail Mary's and all will be forgiven".

Just playin by the rules as i understand em!
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Charlie and JP

Based on your comments and if DMV doesn't know the answer, then I guess ignorance is bliss. I will just change the registration to diesel and let er rip.

What is the worst they can do, impound a boat that has hull numbers that matches the registration and title. I doubt it.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I'm in NY, but when I heard talk about not being able to convert to "older diesels" I decided to do the 1st step and change my registration from gas to diesel.

If I convert I can go with any option of diesel and if I don't well I'll cross that bridge then...
Jack

I repowered years ago - still show gas

Post by Jack »

I tried to change my registration from gas to diesel years ago when I first repowered. the MVC would not make the change just on the registration. They said that they needed to change the title first. Since I had refinanced to cover the repower, I didn't have the title to give them. Boat is still registered as gas. I suppose I'll get it changed someday, but no big rush.
unabashed hyena lover
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

You think the DMV is a forest......ask Social Security a question.....
hb
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

When I bought my 1973 B28, it had a CT title. I took it to my FL DMV to put the title in my name. They said that the Hull ID number had too many numbers in it. I said that the Hull ID embedded in the transom matched the number on the CT title. They said it can't, because the FL computer system didn't allow for that many digits. I had to do a pencil tracing and sign a sworn, notarized statement that the Hull ID that I traced was true... including the extra digit. I finally got my FL DMV title and it dropped off the last digit because the computer system only allowed so many.

I have faith and hope.
Paul J
1973 B28 "Paladin"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

This jsut restores my faith in the Government. LOL