gunnel ideas

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

killa

gunnel ideas

Post by killa »

just pulled up decks on bahias 40 th aniversary one bad support not bad for a old timer. allgriped the decks trashed the gunnel panels replacing w/ azek any ideas on storage doors or sites to browse
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

killa

Post by killa »

capt u remind me of my kids u always have a answer
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Capt Pat.

When you glass in the sides so the water all runs out the scuppers, do you trim down the outside stringers the 1/2 or 3/4 inch so its all level with the transome support or do you just level the shelf to the outside stringer? From the picture it looks like you may have trimmed it down then set the deck on top of that?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Tony,

I replaced the original transom deck ledger and the outboard joists, making the joists flush with the ledger. Then I installed a slightly lowered ledger outboard of the joists and epoxy glassed over the opening. Every thing is flush to the bottom of the scuppers. The curved panel support at the aft end of the deck doesn't extend all the way to the hull sides, allowing water to flow around and to the scuppers.

Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I have doors similar to what Pat has in his shots. I made mine out of Starboard, and they have worked great for 6 years.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Ryder

Post by Ryder »

I like it clean.....Agree on storage but tough to get much anyway...This is my 25....and YES the teak is more cosmetic than functional (as it is varnished/slippery)

Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Capt. Pat

Thanks I was wondering if you ripped it all out. Another use for that left over Coosa board I have.

Ryder

Looks great, nice and clean.
gplume

Post by gplume »

Killa-

Just did the cockpit surrounds on my boat. Azek 1/2" thick (Thx to this site for the tip). I used Bowmar access doors. Got a pretty decent deal at the once a year Defender sale. Dug's boat was my inspiration for the project. I like the way it came out, and I have gotten lots of compliments on it from my dock mates. I put a floor in that allowed some air circulation. I also put drain hoses on all my rod holders to divert the water out of the stoarahge area. I like Captain Patrick's sealed up approach better...
Giff
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

I have every drain in the cockpit dedicated, by hose, to drain just where I want the water to land in the bilge... All of the hatches are fitted with 3/4" PVC fittings and hose at all four corners. The transom deck ledger has a full width drain race that drains at each end and the middle drain is fitted with a hose. Should be no water ever standing on the tank top or running down onto the rudder shelf or gear.

The forward edge of the deck is fitted with splash shields to prevent water from dripping down on the transmissions.

Buju

Post by Buju »

Patrick,
Your attention to detail is inspiring and I've been soaking it up like a parasitic sponge for the last few years.
The little things make all the difference betweeen a project that looks good when fresh outta the shop, as opposed to one that still looks good 5 to 10 years down the road.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
gplume

Post by gplume »

Agree...Absolutely inspirational work. Looks like you've addressed all of the agrevating details. Makes me want to go out and get a project boat so I can get it right on the second time around.

Keep thos px coming. (best way to communicate with my feeble mind)
Giff
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Capt.

I'm guessing that the input for the drains is the same as the output ID. We ran into situations (striped bass scale in particular) where the fish debris gets caught in the drains (mostly on the Silverhawk). We had done a similar drain system on the B31 but we continued to increase the ID through the drain- to date the systes continues to drain with no issues I guess the best solution would be to end in a sump box however we just let the debris come into the bilge and let the pumps sort it out.

Just curious.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Capt. Patrick,

Amazing work. Do you install that piece of channeled trim around the edge of the deck so that the deck is easily removable for maintenance? I know that you have mentioned it before, but what is the gray paint that you use in the bilge area?

Thanks,

JR
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

JP,

There's probably some restriction at the fittings, but everything is straight 3/4" I.D. and drains directly to the bilge... If you're going to be in a blood and guts situation, with copious amounts of crap going into the drains, fit the hoses, (or cluster of hoses), with a mesh bag to catch the big stuff. Only the water goes through...

Br,

Patrick
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Capt. Pat.

Pretty slick. I like the channel for the edge of the deck to sit in. You seems to think of everything.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

jackryan wrote:Capt. Patrick,

Do you install that piece of channeled trim around the edge of the deck so that the deck is easily removable for maintenance? I know that you have mentioned it before, but what is the gray paint that you use in the bilge area?
Jack,

That's the base of the trim that the transom panel mates to... The grey paint is Interlux Bilgekote.

The deck has been configured so that both side pieces can be removed without removing the engine boxes, but full removal still requires the cockpit to be stripped. With the removable fish boxes and other hatches, virtually everything in the cockpit bilge is easily accessable. Hopefully, there'll be no need to pull the decks, after the boat's finished, for a very long time...

scot

Post by scot »

I give...what is this thing?
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Scott,

It's the PVC foam board drain race that runs the fwd edge of the transom deck ledger. Cut it on the table saw.

Carl

Post by Carl »

That layout looks just like mine....

yeah right, not even in my dreams.

The beauty is in the details, I know it was said before, but worth mentioning again.

Real nice work Capt Pat! Not that you need or want my opinion.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Not that you need or want my opinion.
LOL Actually, it's the opinions of this peer group that keeps me thinking and re-inventing wheels...
luis

Post by luis »

I hope my 31, one day, gonna be something like that. But what I really like is on the background of one of the pictures : amak , picnik table, tree shadow and barbecue thing... and for using that on the farm my work on the 31 is sometimes delayed. Nice work and nice ideas, as usual Capt Pat, you make things look so easy...
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

you make things look so easy...
Believe me, nothing is easy... Especially until I stumble upon something that actually works. A final snapshot of a workable idea usually entails hours, days, even weeks of trial and error.

The only way it becomes easier is in doing it again after the problem solving has proven productive. Hopefully, some of my long hours of re-inventing a wheel will save some of you guys from the pain of having to do the R&D yourselves...
.....................................Image
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt. i guess we truly are brothers! when you we were in montauk you remarked on the rerouted of the fuel fill hose to the center of the transom gunnel to eliminate the loop in the hose amidships with fuel on port side and to be able to fuel up without drooping the filthy hose across the teak gunnel when aproaching fuel dock from opposite side (starboard) to fuel up.my question is why not put the fuel cap dead center so you can let the fuel fill hose hang in the water instead of gunnels in any boat position and for aesthetic reasons i would think you would place it dead center?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

my question is why not put the fuel cap dead center so you can let the fuel fill hose hang in the water instead of gunnels in any boat position and for aesthetic reasons i would think you would place it dead center?
Bob,

That would have killed a future installation of the transom livewell, at least without re-locating the fill. Cosmetics are sometimes dependant on practicality...

Carl

Post by Carl »

Two pole holders...

------ I have an overwhelming feeling to get a hole saw

---------------- I have two pole holders in my wifes Kayak -------------
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

those are the originals. May be more to come... Haven't reached that point just yet.
coolair

Post by coolair »

I think all post should come standard with lots of really cool pictures like these, i wish my boat looked like that, i think i am just gonna bring it to capt. pat and let me redo all of it. I want a transom livewell too!