teak cockpit floors

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

teak cockpit floors

Post by bob lico »

a 45' cabo came in for engine service and i fell in love with the teakwork on the cockpit floor and covering boards. first of all i would like to point out the hatch lifts were the same as captain patrick makes but they were oval contoured like half a football . my real question is how did they attached the teak to the floor? there are no bungs or any other sighs of screws on the covering boards or teak and sole floor.this was done at the merrit boat works.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

That's some skill right there - wood artistry
1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
Buju

Post by Buju »

epoxy is the name of the game capt. Bob...

Of course Capt.Pat's got the whole thing detailed in step by step instruction, right here on this site...

http://www.bertram31.com/proj/deck/index.html
more specifically: http://www.bertram31.com/proj/deck/instal.htm
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Those hatch pulls look like ones that Scopinich sells here in Stuart. I was going to use them untill I saw the price, $115 or so. Ouch
Bill
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

wmachovina wrote:Those hatch pulls look like ones that Scopinich sells here in Stuart. I was going to use them untill I saw the price, $115 or so. Ouch
If they are charging $115 each then I could sell them for $50 to $65 and make a handsome profit. They are really banging you hard for that price.
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

last year we had to repair a deck that was installed with just epoxy, seems as if 30% of it had started to lift and let water in. Might have just been a poor install.

Epco makes hatch pulls similiar, not as fancy but easy to get and only about $14.

wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Found out a carriage bolt(SS) two fender washers and a lock nut work well and cost .77 :P
Bill
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

wmachovina wrote:Found out a carriage bolt(SS) two fender washers and a lock nut work well and cost .77 :P

That's exactly what I did. First put the bolt in the lathe and remove the square at the top of the threads........
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Raybo Marine NY wrote:Epco makes hatch pulls similiar, not as fancy but easy to get and only about $14.
And those are the reason I build my own... Their welds are induction, (spot), welds and end up breaking. Look good in the poly pack, look good installed, not very pretty when the weld pops and the customer is pissed.
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

I would not have much faith in a $14 pull for a heavy hatch, some people dont have ability to weld thier own up.

Im actually a fan of no pulls, the notch in the edge of the hatch is a nice touch but not practical for large heavy hatches
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

buju this looks like your work for anal people. i am sure you notice the covering board over the bait well/ trasom is one piece ,wow that is some plank . beautiful grain in teak .beam is 15' 9" so they really needed to caculate the boards going across deck to have them come out perfect full pland on both sides.i open one of the big hatches to see cross section. wood is full 1/2" thick.the epoxy looks to have some kind of additive.
robbie are those pulls oval or flat on top? are they 316 stainless?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Bob,

Flat and 304 stainless steel... http://www.epcomarineproducts.com/prodc ... av=prodcat
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thank you capt . patrick this winter i will install a teak cockpit floor i am just getting my ducks in line. i will have to contact jspiczio or harry for the oval ones in 316ss. once you see them you just gotta have them. i have a miller tig and a mig machine but how would i make those oval plates .possibly they are cast stainless ???
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Buju

Post by Buju »

buju this looks like your work for anal people. i am sure you notice the covering board over the bait well/ trasom is one piece ,wow that is some plank . beautiful grain in teak .beam is 15' 9" so they really needed to caculate the boards going across deck to have them come out perfect full pland on both sides.i open one of the big hatches to see cross section
Well, that's Merritt's for ya...
That Cabo pit looks good, but it's not really popping my can. I can clearly see the quality is there in craftsmanship... but the boat, and it's lines... eiiggghhh.
Still gotta say the most incredible cockpit deck I've seen is that 61' Garlington I did the repairs & resurfacing on a year or so back... Incredible vessel.
J Clark

Teak Cockpit

Post by J Clark »

Stainless steel rub rail, cut to length, buff out the ends and edges (weld the SS threaded rod on the backside after cutting to length, this will give you something to hold to durring the buffing) add washers and add nuts with nylon bushings. Roy Merritt has been doing it for years.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

i will have to contact jspiczio or harry for the oval ones in 316ss. once you see them you just gotta have them. i have a miller tig and a mig machine but how would i make those oval plates .possibly they are cast stainless ???
Bob

If John or myself cutout the shapes we will use equipment that can be programmed and cut the shapes from plate or sheet......but you have other options....

the oval ones will actually be easier to make than the round ones....for small quantities just get some 1/8" flatbar your choice of width, use a scribe to radius the ends then it's up to you and a good belt sander....a band saw will reduce the belt sander time considerably. These are tools that should be readily available to most anybody that does what we all on this website do.

Some fab shops use cutters called Hogan or Jancey to drill holes. These cutters are really popular on mag base drills. Basically they are hole saws that do not drill a pilot hole. A 2-1/8" dia Jancey cutter will kick out about a 1-1/2" dia slug.....then again its up to you and a good belt sander.

Or just let one of us know what you need...........

Harry
hb
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Buju
That's one beautiful cockpit but I have to say if it were mine I would keel haul the first SOB that brought cigar minnows on board or got fish slime on that unbelievablely good looking deck....need to remove the rod holders and reduce the temptation

Harry
hb
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

j clark your one hell of a clever guy i would never have though of that but now that you told us it makes sense.
buju that is truly a work of art. you guys are truly one talented brotherhood lets not leave out randall he could carve a marlin in that teak!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Love those Garlingtons.
Buju

Post by Buju »

if it were mine I would keel haul the first SOB that brought cigar minnows on board
That's funny Harry. They actually fish that boat hard. I was called back down to the boat about a month or two after completion, to re-oil everything. Man, she was all scraped up from a particularly hectic tuna bite out by Cay Sal Bank. Light sanding, and more oil was all it took to make her look great again.
lets not leave out randall he could carve a marlin in that teak!
Damn right he could...So can Pat.( http://www.bertram31.com/proj/inlay/inlay-1.htm )
I'm waiting to see when Randall is gonna carve something "bertram" like a solid teak bow chock, or a scale model of a B25 FB out of a chunk of wood.