Painting new oil pan

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

FWHaas3

Painting new oil pan

Post by FWHaas3 »

Here we go again! After seven years of anticipation, the starboard engine oil pan on Catequipt has rusted thru. In 2004 I replaced the port engine pan. At the time after consulting with the "Faithful", I painted the new pan with a PPG two part epoxy bare metal primer. After five years it still looks like new.
Roll forward five years and I find out that two part epoxy bare metal primers are illegal in Pennsylvania and the surrounding states. So, my question is, besides truck bed coatings, what product should I use to rustproof the new pan?
Frederick W. Haas
Al C
Standing Member

Post by Al C »

I believe UV has recommended in the past to do it at night!!!

If not try this, guys I know use it on old hot rods and swear by it.

http://www.por15.com/POR-15/productinfo/1GB/
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

are illegal in Pennsylvania and the surrounding states
Is it illegal for anyone but a licensed contractor to apply as the only laws I can find are lead based?

Found nothing on two part epoxy paint being illegal in PA on a google search and found numerous shops that sell and one manufacturer of two part epoxy primer.

It might be like many places painting in anything but a paint booth with filters is illegal so nothing is released in the air.

If thats the case, brush it on.

You can always have it powder coated.
FWHaas3

Oil Pan Rustproofing

Post by FWHaas3 »

Bruce: I was told by a reliable paint distributor that the PPG two part epoxy bare metal primer I had used previously cannot be sold to consumers in Pa/NJ, because of pollution laws, and the only products available to retail consumers in Pa/NJ are one part primers. I have not checked with automotive supply houses to see if I get the same story.

Do you have any experience with Intrerlux 404/414 Epoxy primekote on steel? I think I can get it thru West Marine.

Fred
Frederick W. Haas
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Frederick

That POR15 is unbelievable stuff. I just picked some up at $40 a quart. It really works. However, if you want the two part epoxy applied for you there are lots of guys who can do it for you. In Penn any machined parts supplier to Boeing in Philly has this done on a daily basis and if you know one they can help you out with names.

One name that I know of while sitting here at home (on Easter Sunday) is Metal Improvement in Bensalem, 215 638 0888. I don't know who you should ask for, but if you get the run around PM me and I will have one of my guys help you out.

If you are willing to ship via UPS to NY, I very highly recommend Advanced Coating Techniques. Mike Duffy is the boss, and he will absolutely do the richt thing for you. 631 643 4555
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Never tried the 404 on steel as it is only recomended under top side finishes.

I'm sure you could find a body shop that could apply the two part primer for you.

More useless regulations that climb into the consumers pocket.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

jspiezio
who sells the por 15 on the island, just put in a new tie rod for my rudders last season, might be a good canidate
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I have some for you Charlie.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

thanks mike, ill hook up with you some time
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I have had good luck with POR15 and have been using it for @ 5 years. Among other things I have painted a bulldozer and my reverse gear in the boat with it. Also, their Marine Clean that you prep with is the best cleaner I have come across, bar none. Their Metal Ready is an acid based prep that leaves a zinc coating behind when it dries.

I buy it direct from POR15.com
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

cwj wrote:thanks mike, ill hook up with you some time
I think my driver got it at Chroma Paint in Hicksville. I have a good amount left if you want it.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Charlie- Yes, they bought it from Chroma Paint (Rt 107 Hicksville), they told me that SK speed in West Babylon in Route 109 also carries it.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Get the starter kit. Once the POR15 is opened it has a short shelf life unless sealed and refrigerated. The small cans limit waste. Observe the recoat times carefully. Prime over it before the last coat is dry (while still tacky) and it will chemically bond with the primer. Otherwise you will have to sand it and risk sanding through on corners, etc or use an acid etch primer before top coating it. Of course it does not have to be top coated at all. I like the six pack of small cans to avoid waste. I have sprayed it and brushed it. For an oilpan, I would just brush it.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I have a few six packs, Charlie. Black or Silver, take your pick.

You can re-seal the cans for re-use if you place a piece of plastic over the mouth of the can before you put the lid back on.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
scot

Post by scot »

Fred,

Don't you have 3208s? If so, get the heavier cast pans. I have seen them advertised in several places. B&H adds, on line, etc. That will solve the rot problem forever.

I'm putting one on my little Detroit...I can barely pick the d%$# thing up! But it won't rot.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Scot,
Sorry I didn't have the time to stop by and chat. Would have liked to. Always like talking big iron like DD.

The guy I crew for on his blown nostalgia dragster just picked up a new to him tractor to pull his trailer. 450hp DD with 10 speed gear box.

We're heading to Indianapolis and Bowling Green in June for two major meets. Since I cut my over the road teeth on a GMC Astro 95 with DD, it will be a pleasure to pilot another DD tractor.
scot

Post by scot »

450hp DD in a tractor, must be a 6V92T. When they first came out, there were cam problems. The cams wipped out in a few miles. Once that was resolved they became one of the all time greats. Your right, it will be fun.

My DD really can't be called "big iron", although it is freakin huge for only 213 cu inches. Mine is something like a 250hp 6BTA +300lbs...lol.

Have a good trip, BTW, did you have a No. 2 gear plate? 71/72 series hole is best for me, I already have the TD adapter.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
hubris 1

Re: Painting new oil pan

Post by hubris 1 »

FWHaas3 wrote:Here we go again! After seven years of anticipation, the starboard engine oil pan on Catequipt has rusted thru. In 2004 I replaced the port engine pan. At the time after consulting with the "Faithful", I painted the new pan with a PPG two part epoxy bare metal primer. After five years it still looks like new.
Roll forward five years and I find out that two part epoxy bare metal primers are illegal in Pennsylvania and the surrounding states. So, my question is, besides truck bed coatings, what product should I use to rustproof the new pan?
Why does it rot out? It isnt touching the hull is it? I think the pans on my cats were aluminum.
FWHaas3

Oil Pan Rustproofing

Post by FWHaas3 »

The pans on the 3208 Cats are steel. They rust out because they were not properly rustproofed when they were installed. I have previously searched for an aluminum replacement, but could find none.

To the best of my knowledge, my only starting point available is an unpainted new steel pan from Caterpillar. That's what I started with in 2004 on the port engine and with proper rustproofing prior to installation, have not had a problem since.

The reason for my original post was to inquire on rustproofing paint/coatings, because I was told that the two part epoxy coating I had used in 2004 was no longer available to the consumer due to changes in pollution laws in this area.

The other issue I stumbled on along the way was that some primers will not hold up in a high temperature environment, such as an engine oil pan.
I called International Paint to see if they had a product that would fill the bill and was told that none of their primers are intended for applications where the temperature exceeds 120 degrees.

Just trying to do my homework.

Thanks for all of your input.
Frederick W. Haas
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Fred - look in Boats & Harbors. There is an outfit advertising cast iron oil pans for 3208s that will last forever. I'll see if I can find the ad.

UV
FWHaas3

Oil Pan Rustproofing

Post by FWHaas3 »

Thanks UV! I will check it out.

Fred
Frederick W. Haas
hubris 1

Post by hubris 1 »

thanks, I did not know that. One thing I dont like however is this. Engineers who go to school only to be idiots! Application, materials, longevity! Have we all gone crazy? I am convinced engineers are the only people that can think about the question, .......can you make water go up hill?
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

POR15 says it is good to 600 degrees F.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31