Boat related, not Bertram though!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Kevin

Boat related, not Bertram though!

Post by Kevin »

I have finally got the job I have been after for all these years. As some of you know I have worked for the state of Florida for many years as water cop in simple terms. On September 2 I will start as a Marine Interdiction Agent for the Air and Marine Branch of Customs and Border Protection. This is a rather large accomplishment for me since there are less than 250 of these guys nation wide. It will be better financially for me since the state has not given raises to us in well over 13 years. I had a great run and gained a great deal of experience with the Marine Patrol but it is just time to move on. My new patrol boat will be a 39' Midnight Express with 4 engines.

Also going out on a pretty good note. I was part of the entry team on a search warrant that occurred down here in the Keys. There is a lot more to the story than what is in the media. I just heard it made the New York times as well. Just type Keys Lobster Poacher in a search engine and all sorts of stuff comes up. I made front and center in a photo in the Key West Citezen somehow........glad I was behaving at the time.

These are also the reasons I have not posted much. Just been busy with all sorts of stuff. Hope to do some boating on my boat this next couple of weeks before going off to the academy.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Fantastic news. Congratulations and good luck,

JOhn
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Kevin- Congratulations and good luck. All the best! Walter
randall

Post by randall »

good on you...best of luck
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

New job, new pay, 4 motor rocket ship to drive. Sounds like a great gig. After all that time working you still want to go "boating", that's either an addiction or an affliction.

Congrats. Pretty work
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Out standing, John!

Best of luck in the new position. I had a buddy in customs/Miami, (Jeff Friend, retired now), now I have someone to take his place...

Br,

Patrick
scot

Post by scot »

Congradulations. I know you will enjoy the job (if something that fun can be called a job) Way to go and I'll keep and eye out for you when big catches make the news. The best part of running that boat (besides going 80mph at midnight) is when it breaks you call someone.

Again, congradulations.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Congratulations Kevin......Hard work and loyality always pay off....

Way to go

Harry
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Kevin,
Figured you'd be involved with the lobster poacher. I hope they seize his house also as property from ill gotten gains along with his boats and other stuff.

Congrats on the new job.

You'll be stomping on the rights of the general citizenry before you know it as a Fed.
Send me one of your get out of jail free cards when your done academy training.

I've also been busy as of late with turning 50 and having some unexpected business events happen this summer.

Good luck and stay safe.
Don't forget to keep the storm trooper boots polished for those photo ops.
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Good luck with the new job. Have fun in FETC.

Frank
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Carl

Post by Carl »

Assume, great for you!
That is as long as you don't have to pay for fuel...

Poaching lobsters, now that is just wrong.
Glad you put a stop to it.

Everyone knows lightly steamed.

Really sounds like your going out on a good note, think they will celebrate your leaving with a Lobster dinner?

Stay safe and good luck in the new job!

Carl
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Aw, gees; cheese it guys, the cops!
Way to go Kevin, stay safe.
What is it someone on this Board says about sleeping safely because big ugly guys are willing to . . . ?
I feel better already.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Thanks for all the kind words guys.
Lobster dinner! Yeah right, I am just one of the many that took part in that operation. I am also just one of the many that are part of a mass exodus from this agency. I do not even expect a thank you for 8 years of service letter.
IRS is looking into the three houses that are paid for free and clear. We already took all the three boats and three vehicles. All the commercial fisherman I talk to are very happy we finally got the kingpin. He has been robbing the industry both recreational and commercial for a long time. I could not imagine pulling three thousand traps and busting my ass all season long just to get by when some other guy makes over 500k in just two months.
FLETC will be fun, it is only 8.5 weeks in South Georgia.
Well I am about to load the boat and do a little free diving followed by some relaxing at the sandbar. Just got a 1 year old boxer and need to find out if she sinks or swims. Thanks again guys.
John Brownlee

Post by John Brownlee »

Hey Kevin:

Great news, congratulations. You get to stay in the Keys, right? That has to sound better than Ocala. I know you'll miss Bartender's Week up here (the scenery anyway), but these are the sacrifices you have to make. Let's go fishing when you get back, and don't let the no-see-ums carry you way while you're in Brunswick. They're fierce up there this time of year.

JB
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

Congrats Kevin !! I've got a friend who's been in Customs here in Canaveral for about 8 or 9 years now. He made his way there through regular law enforcement, then did some time with the DEA, and then finally got his dream job as a Fed. You seem to have got there quicker... and he doesn't do his job on a boat either.

Now if you ever see me coming back from Havana with a couple of spanish-speaking bikini babes, and you'll see that they're on a Bertram, you'll just look the other way, right buddy?

Congrats again
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Yup, staying in the keys. The local knowledge thing kind of helped out. It took a little longer than I would have liked to get the job but I can't complain. Many of the guys that were in the Marine Patrol for many years before me tried but did not get it. I think it just came down to timing. I am 32 so I can still start another career and not worry too much about wasted time. That time has given me the experience I needed to get here. John, I have been getting back into the spear fishing gig a bit more recently, call me if you want to go out of Marathon. Shot 24" Mangrove a couple weeks ago. And Sean, yeah, the bikini thing makes it good in my book!
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Congratulations Kevin! it is good to know that one of the good guys got a job with the Feds. We hear so much bad about the Feds, but I am sure that there are a lots of good guys like yourself working everyday to keep us safe. We never hear about them though. I will sleep better knowing you are on the job.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Dug

Post by Dug »

Kevin,

Sounds great! Congratulations! Midnight express should be a fun ride too!

Best of luck! Also, if you want to try some clothes that help with bugs, I have found that the Buzz Off line from Orvis works pretty darned well!!!!

Dug
John F.

Post by John F. »

Kevin-

Very cool. Congratulations. As I sit here tapping away on my PC making a living (I work for the Feds also). Be safe.

John F.
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Congrats!.....we need action like that down here......
John Brownlee

Post by John Brownlee »

Kevin:

I'll give you a call, maybe we can do lunch at Lazy Days before you head out for training. A 24" mangrove?! Wo, that's a nice one. We've been catching the yellowtails real good too, let's get together.

JB
daydreams

Post by daydreams »

Kevin, Congrats with the new job. Change keeps the mind going. as we get older that cant hurt. Good luck.
what good is a boat if you cant spend all your money and time you dont have working on it.
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Remember, you will never work a day in your life if you do what you love!

Good Luck!
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET