The scoop on TWIC

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory Walter K

The scoop on TWIC

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I went into NYC to the Coast Guard at South Ferry today to get myself fingerprinted etc for my license renewal. Once done I went over to the Transportation Security Administration at the suggestion of the Coast Guard. I was given a document with "frequently asked questions" one of which is "Who needs a TWIC?" The list is long but we fall into "Other Marine professionals". If you hold a Merchant Marine Document (MMD) issued after Feb 3,2003, you will get a reduced fee of $105.25 (otherwise it's $132.50) and your TWIC will be valid for 5 years from the issuance date of your document. There is another category -"Non-credentialed mariners in vessel crew" that throws me. Does that mean mates? Gotta ask.
The process seems to be a three-step process. The first can be done on your computer. It's called pre-enrollment. Either call 1-866-347-8942 or visit www.tsa.gov/twic. You can also find your nearest TWIC office and their hours there. Go to the office with your MMD/license, photo ID, proof of citizenship,etc. and pay your fee. 6-8 weeks later you will be called and you must go back to the office to pick up your card and they will activate it via your fingerprint. Compliance can be no later than Sept. 25, 2008. Walter
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

The folks at my company working on ferries, tugs and oil platforms have been informed by BP that they will be required to carry a TWIC card as well. Lots of fun.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
tds8268

Post by tds8268 »

Walter,

Wonder how I can get the difference back. I was told by the people at the port of Wilmington, DE that there is only one set fee. Should have talked to you first.

Dan
www.finchasersportfishing.com
In Memory Walter K

Very frankly, this is so new I wouldn't trust anything I was told verbally. Get it in printed form and have it in hand when you go in. Doubt if there even is a structure by which you can get anything back. If you ask a question, they go immediately to their laptops. You can do that too...then print it out. In my case, if I used my license that expires next month, I would get an expired TWIC card when it comes through. I'm waiting until my new one comes before applying. Walter
tds8268

Post by tds8268 »

You mean that when I renue next year(6 pack) I have to buy this damn TWIC card again?

Dan
In Memory Walter K

That's a question I would ask the office nearest you. The exact wording is "If the reduced fee is paid, the TWIC expiration date will be 5 years from the issuance day of the supporting MML,MMD, HME or FAST card". Also:
"The TWIC will cost $132.50 and is payable by Credit Card, Money order or Certified Check. Those who hold a valid MMD issued after February 3 2003, MML issued after January 13, 2006, HME issued after May 31, 2005, or a FAST card may pay a reduced fee of $105.25."
To be honest, I know MMD, means Merchant Marine Document. I assume MML means Merchant Marine License. What the other things are are not explained on the "frequently asked questions" document given me. Walter
Capt. Mike Holmes

TWIC

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Walter, was anything said about penalties for non-compliance, other than not getting your license renewed? I did an informal poll among "captains" at a Houston fishing show last weekend, didn't find any who even knew what TWIC was, much less that they had to participate. Of, course, some of these guys probably aren't even licensed. There were also a couple of captain's licensing schools. I started to ask them, decided not to, doubt if they knew about it either - or cared, since they wouldn't make money off of it.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
In Memory Walter K

Not a word. The Coasties were not real Coasties but office personnel and the TWIC personnel looked like they just got out of college. Walter
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Capt. Mike,

If the Capt. licensing school don't know anything about it there, you might not want to be school by them, the local school here informed most of the Capt's here, that it needed to be taken care of before Sept. 08, or no more license for you.

R,
DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Capt. Mike Holmes

TWIC

Doug, but does that mean your current license is invalid, or you just can't renew? Guess I'll have to call the Coasties, see if they know.
In Memory Walter K

Mike-I doubt whether the Coasties will know. I'd suggest you call the TWIC. I don't know if it means anything relative to this issue, but the U.S.Coast Guard Building at the Southern end of Manhattan island now has "Department of Homeland Security" on the face of the building ABOVE the "U.S.Coast Guard". The Coasties have had that building for as long as I can remember, going back to WWII. The licensing CG people could not answer anything about TWIC except that you had to have a card by September and where to go to ask questions and apply. I would bet that 5 years from now, the two documents needed today will become one document. Walter
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Capt. Mike,

As I understand it, no TWIC card by Sept. 08, your Capt's license would become invalid to use. Now possibly after that date if you decide to go get your TWIC card that they will reinstate your license, but I don't know the answer to that one. Will try to get some hard answers on that ? and will post it.

R,
DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Capt. Mike Holmes

TWIC

I reneweded mine last September. If all they would do is not renew me in five years, I can keep my $100, they can have the license. Might do that after 9/08, anyway.
tds8268

Post by tds8268 »

Mike,

Asked the people at the Port of Wilmington, DE and they didn't know anything about the relationship between the TWIC and my OUPV. They said they were employees of Lockheed Martin. Payed the $132.50 but will be real PO'd if I have to spend that again next year when I renue my 6pack.

Dan
www.finchasersportfishing.com
Capt. Mike Holmes

TWIC

Sounds like you might.
White Bear

Post by White Bear »

Unverified, but I heard yesterday that there will be several satellite offices opened on Long Island for the issuance of TWICs, one as far east as Riverhead. Considering the number of occupations involved, this expansion is necessary. What defies imagination is the fact that for a program of this size, so little official information has been made available. This appears yet another example of government deciding for show that "something" needs to be done without first defining something. The nose of the camel is now firmly in the tent, shortly the beast will be the tent's sole occupant and we will all be outside in the weather with nothing to do except pay for the camel's upkeep.
Capt. Mike Holmes

TWIC Camel

Very, very well put.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

I received an email 2 days ago from the TSA stating that my TWIC card was "approved" and I could pick it up. Went to the local TWIC office and they had ready a card with my pic on it.. I had to select a password number (between 5 and 8 digits.. NO letters, just numbers) and they put the card into a programmer unit, I entered my password twice, put my index finger on a digital reader, and they downloaded my info into the card. It is good for 5 years from the date I filed my application a couple of weeks ago. I overheard them tell another applicant the card takes from between 10 to 60 days to be issued. Mine was available in about 15 days or so.

When you apply they take major credit cards or money orders, no cash or personal checks. Not sure what I will do with the card, but now I have it.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

heck, for the price of the card i can put 20 gals of fuel in the boat this year. we need a revolution
Capt. Mike Holmes

Revolt

I was telling my wife last night I see the need for a shootin' feud.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

In the process of gathering info for my applying for a Captain's License I found the following in the Code Of Federal Regulations..
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title 46 SHIPPING

Part 10 LICENSING OF MARITIME PERSONNEL

§ 10.113 Transportation Worker Identification Credential.

By September 25, 2008 all mariners holding an active License, Certificate of Registry or STCW endorsement issued under this part must hold a valid Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) issued by the Transportation Security Administration under 49 CFR part 1572. Failure to obtain or hold a valid TWIC may serve as a basis for suspension or revocation of a mariner's license, COR or STCW endorsement under 46 U.S.C. 7702 and 7703.

[CG–2006–24196, 72 FR 3587, Jan. 25, 2007]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Like it or not.. this is what the Federal Regulations say.