Bertram 31 on a cradle

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt. Mac Creech

Bertram 31 on a cradle

Post by Capt. Mac Creech »

It's been a while guys, When the new site started I wasn't smart enough to log on so I've just been lurking. I need sone openions on keeping Jaded Lady on a rack on the hard. On of the dry storage marinas has a forklift big enough to lift her. Seems to me like the way to go. Has anybody had any problems or concerns doing this? Thanks in advance and will be more active now.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Mac-Jaded Lady is one of the heavier hulled B-31's. No? Do you mean putting her on a rack or blocking and bracing her up on the hard? Up north where we are, they fork lift and rack mostly outboard boats, but I don't remember ever seeing a diesel powered boat on a rack. They don't seem to have the proper hull supports and ability to customize for heavyweights. Good to have you back! Walter
RussP

Post by RussP »

Mac we have fork lifts that'll hoist 40'+ sportfish/bubble yachts at Logerhead marina. They dry store them on racks. One problem you may run into is the transducr placment.

RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Not a problem. Just Pulled Zero Cavity out today and loaded on a trailer with a 22,000lb fork lift.

Because of the dead rise and props the best place to lift a 31 is all the way out to the sides. Plus no one mounts a transducer out that far.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Welcome back Mac, we missed you. Wasn't your "Jaded Lady" the same one that was originally owned by Dick Bertram's sister?

Tommy
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Mac: Good to hear from you! How is Jeremy? I have a PDF of the original Bertram cradle diagram if you need it.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Seen a couple on the top racks fishing out of Jupiter. Looks like the way to go. High and dry- a good thing when the owner is not around
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Dug

Post by Dug »

Hey Mac!

Good to hear from you again!

I heard about you from the Hunt guys at the Boston Show. My dad has a 36', so if we can answer any questions, or you want a ride when she is wet again, just say the word.

Chris is a great guy. He has been very good to my father.

Dug
Capt. Mac Creech

Good to hear from you guys, I discussed with the marina manager about lifting her with the forks way outboard and he said they would check all the thru hulls and build the rack to fit. I think I,m going to do it, beats bottom jobs and hurricanes. Tommy, She was built for Mr. Bertrams sister in law. I sent you the articles on her a couple years ago.
kellysmall

Post by kellysmall »

Mac,
Picking my boat up on the outboard sides has worked great. I know it's only a B25, but with the props and rudders I think I run into the same issues you'd have. Never had any problem storing mine on a rack either. Go over to Day Break and take a look at how mine sits on its rack if you need any ideas. By the way, I still have your trailer at my parents' house whenever you need it back.

-Kel
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Mac no problem, you all gonna move to Daybreak Marina or where from Island Cove? I have the Short Circuit over @ Venice Marina till the middle of March, doing some wally fishing on weekends when weather permits.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
nestorpr

Post by nestorpr »

I'm not that savvy on inboards so I have a question, I thought the shaft packing needed to be constantly wet or it would deteriorate. Wouldn't this happen on a boat out of the water for a long time or are the new shaft logs impervious to that?
Looking for my next boat!
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Not an issue with the new packing materials such as GFO or with the dripless seals.

UV
thereheis

31on dry stack

Post by thereheis »

i have had the THERE HE IS on a cradle in a dry stack ( ground level)all winter they had no prob lifting it ...had to make a few adjustments on cradle ,but nothing major...summer time is a coming and fixing to get it wet pretty soon ,,,,,

phil
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Mac,

Yes, I have the articles in my notebook and have shared them with some other folks; I was just a little rusty on whether it was Dick Bertram's sister or his sister-in-law. I made the post so the rest of the gang could appreciate the history of your boat. Glad to have you back on board.

Tommy
Capt. Mac Creech

Doug, Talking to the one accross from Daybreak, I think it's Harborview. One thing I had not thought of was the stuffing boxes drying out, Something to consider. Kelly, Sorry about not getting the trailer, Will try soon.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Mac,

If your talking about on the rack just over the winter, you should not have a problem. Just repack them every 2-yrs to be safe. You & Jeremy should bring the Jaded Lady over to Venice for UVI 8 & 1/2 @ the end of July, look @ the UV post and sign up.
I'am going to see if Kenny on the Reel McCoy will come also. Get the P'cola gang fishing on over, I think Kelly signed on too.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Keysfishn

Bertram on a Cradle..

Post by Keysfishn »

Make sure your trim tabs are up before they lift with a fork!!
Steve Washington