Cummins Reman motors

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnD

Cummins Reman motors

Post by JohnD »

A question for the faithful

It may be a crystal ball kind of question, but I was wondering if anyone knew how long the Cummins reman motors would be available.

The timing is not right for me to repower, I'd like to do a couple of other smaller projects first, among other things.

With the price of new motors climbing through the roof, the remans are about the best option cost/performance wise.

Many Thanks,
JohnD
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

John,
While a very popular engine, some models are already not available.
Whether this is a result of increased sales, regional demand or a lack of cores they don't know.

Cummins is also tightening its belt like other companies which may lead to delay on reman engines.

If your serious on the repower, I would hold off on the small projects and scope and grab the first pair of engines you find.

Even if you don't install them they can be stored in your garage for a future install.

The longer you wait, the chances are that they will get harder to find as new engine prices rise.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

I am not an expert on this, or any other subject for that matter, but I read somewhere a while ago that Cummins was selling the remans as a stopgap measure to be able to offer a fully warranteed product that avoided having to comply with the new emission standards. As I recall it said that engines that were originally sold before the new regs became effective could be repaired/remaned and resold as used, and still be legal. It seemed to me to be a great idea, but only a temporary measure.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Bruce, thanks for the advice.

I was thinking the same, but hoping that wasn't the case.

Well the maintenance/restore plan will get another revision soon.

Once agin, I don't think I'd be able to keep and use my Bertram without the support of this board and "The Faithful"

br,
JohnD
Davidr0007

Post by Davidr0007 »

Can someone explain to me what remanufactured engines are other than the obvious. Do they have warrentee, is the price that much different from the new and who do you get them from a Cummins dealer. Is Cummins the only company that does this, does Yanmar?
DavidR
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.ph ... mins+reman

The above thread will answer your questions.

Yanmar does not have a factory reman program.
John Jackson

Post by John Jackson »

Call Art McClelland, 215 826 1214. He is a Cummins rep or dealer and he can probably answer your questions.
Davidr0007

Post by Davidr0007 »

thanks
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

The thing that's got me is my motors arn't bad but the reman program is an excellent way to repower to diesels with what's essentially a new motor for a 30-40% discount from the new price.

The year after I got my boat, 2001, I priced new cummins 330's and they were $25k per side (I think). That's twice the price of a brand new 454 at the time.

Now, 5yrs later I same diesel with updated components can be bought for $16k per side ($9k less). While a new Crusader big block is $13k per side (both without tranny).

So if you just look at the cost of the motors, it's only about $6k more total to go with diesels over gas.

I know there's shaft, prop and install work to do, but if you've got 1000hrs plus on your stuff already and put new power in there's a good chance it would have to be replaced as well.

So that's what's got me considering repowering now rather than later.

Hmmm.
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

For the record, you can get the 8.1's for about $13k per motor and tranny.

http://www.affordablemarine.com/crusader.htm

http://www.ebasicpower.com/engines/crusader/

http://www.1800runsnew.com/crusader01.htm

The gears for the Cummins re-mans are a minimum of $3k per side. That puts the difference between gas and diesel closer to $12K.

Of course if you factor in $3k-$6k to possibly replace the fuel tank if you stick with gas you're a little closer.
Regards,

Doug L.
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Doug, We're so flat out at work for the past 2 months, and till at least this spring(based just on contracts on my desk, forget the stuff the guys are bidding) That not only do I not have a smart ass reply(which pains me) I'm to tired to make one up. So I'm hoping, Frank, or The Stew Nazi, or even raffel rigging Trankel will come up with one, and direct it towards you, on my behalf
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Obviously you've still got waaay too much time on your hands.
Regards,

Doug L.
STraenkle

Post by STraenkle »

Timmy:

Either I’m missing something here or you’re responding on the wrong thread. I must admit it is rare to find a thread that does not contain a single disparaging reference to the Tubb, but I don’t see it on this one until now. You must be busy or gotten in to that Tequila in the bottom draw of your desk at work.

Scott Traenkle (aka Trankel???)
Scott Traenkle
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Scott your ablity to mis things is not in question. Like the other 2 big tuna you guys missed, only picking the 2 babys on your trip out.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Way back when I was beginning my diesel life, I looked for remans.

All I could find were engines that were available if I had engines to "trade in".

Does that still exist as a qualification to get these things, or can you buy them "off the shelf"?