31 Bertram Molds

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jackryan

31 Bertram Molds

Post by jackryan »

I know this has been covered here before, but what ever happened to the original molds for the 31. I think I remember someone saying they were sunk some where in the Atlantic off of the Florida coast, I guess after the 1986 boats were built. Does anyone know if they used numerous molds over the years, or just one set. Sure would like to see Bertram bulid these boats again. Be the best thing they have done in years. (since 1986) Would it be possible to make molds from an existing boat?

JR
JPRS51

Post by JPRS51 »

I think you would be able to build a mold from an existing boat.

I have built molds for many things. For a boat this size it would be quite a project.

Here is an interesting site on the subject:

http://www.fiberlay.com/howto/issue1.htm

There are easier ways to build molds of this scale though. Many different computer programs (i.e. Solidworks) which you can input measurements from the hull and basically create 3d plans for the mold. The plug could be cnc'd out of foam or some other material. They could then use the plug to build the mold.
Jeff S

Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

there are old posts on this subject.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Molds are not the problem, economics is the problem. Regular production of the B31 ceased after the 1983 model year, and the 1986 Silvers were tooled to produce 25, but they were only able to get orders for 23. Many of us have discussed re-introduction of the B31 with senior management of Bertram (say bertram joe) and they just cannot justify the cost of tooling up for a 31 because quality boat building is a labor-intensive proposition and the profit margin on a B31, with a projected selling price of say $350-400K vs. their big boats, the 63, 67, etc. selling for $3-4 Mil, is not worth it...they have a big backlog of big boats where they make a lot of money.....plus their production facility right by the Miami airport is a costly place to build boats.

Ain't gonna happen, cherish your old B31 as it will last longer than you or me.

UV
JPRS51

Post by JPRS51 »

I did a search of the older post and back in March there was a post that stated a boat yard had purchased the 31 Bahia Mar mold and had plans to produce them. Anything ever come of that?

http://www.bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopi ... 012a45000e

To add to this subject, this is a pretty good post from the past:

http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.ph ... 8dc73a5a88
Jeff S

Capt. Mike Holmes

Molds

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Dos Amigos boatyard in Freeport, Texas, has the molds for the "Classic 31" which was a "pop" off a 31 Bertram with a few improvements, like a wider chine and prop pockets. He hasn't had the world beating a path to his doorstep to build new boats with it, but if you are interested I can put you n touch.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
nic

Post by nic »

While you can buy an ex-Virginia Marine Patrol 31 for around $30,000 and suit yourself how you restore it, and more importantly suit yourself about how much you want to believe it will cost, or any of the other 1850-odd B31s built, it is going to be very hard for anyone to sell new 31s or look-alike 31s.

The Bertram 31, in all its models, is THE classic.

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"