Hurricane mass hysteria begins

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bruce
Site Admin

Hurricane mass hysteria begins

Post by Bruce »

While out walking the dog a neighbor stopped me to talk about Ernesto and what I was planning.

I said last I heard that Ernesto had been down graded to tropical storm status and could fall apart or become a hurricane again.
I said we'll have to wait till Monday night to see what happens but at the minimum I may have to run over to La Belle and board up my daughters house that is up for sale.

My neighbor then told me that he saw on the evening news that Ernesto was predicted to become as strong as Katrina.
He went on to say numerous people in our neighborhood have begun to board up and that he was planning on leaving Florida Monday with his family.

I tried to tell him to watch NOAA weather and not to depend on the evening sensation clubs to get his news for anything.
I tried in vain to explain how to use sat images and front patterns to make his own predictions.

All to no avail.
Buju

Post by Buju »

Its a strange occurance, what the media hype does to people. Its like there is a panic button which is pressed, and all rational thought gets chucked out the window.r
And when you go on to explain what your plan is and why, they look at you like you're the one whos lost his mind... Simply because you are not in the same state of irrational panic as them. Strange.

Always keep a cool head and make rational decisions based on FACTS made available by the proper agencies (NHC, NOAA)... thats it, everything else is obsolete opinionated bullshit. right? right.
Peter

Post by Peter »

I lget a chuckle out of all the people who go out and by masking tape and put X's on all their windows....like that is going to make them stand up any better to hurricane force winds!

And did you ever notice how many of those sensational blurbs on the tube that report tropical storms as if they are already killer hurricanes are followed by an ad for Home Depot or Lowes?

The one good thing that comes out of it is that the people who are incapable of looking at the NOAA pages and getting solid data themselves probably are best served by being overly cautious.
Dave Kosh R.I.P.

Post by Dave Kosh R.I.P. »

All the time like this. Media hype sells. It tunes in viewers and attracts advertisers . Always chose wisely who you listen to based on the credentials of the meteoroligists. Those folks are the same that never plan for anything so a hurricane possilibity throws them into never never irational land. But better to do the preperations than the very last minute. It takes me two days to prep my house and evacuate the boat and 3 days to a week dealing with "I told you so about this place" from my better half.
Dave K
Keep Fishing...
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

Well, I believe everything on the TV. It's time to get out of Dodge!
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Current forecast has the storm building back up to hurricane strength just as it passes over Bruces house.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Then it's to disipate, reforming briefly, over a yard in Salisbury,Ma, where a small shitty 20' bertram, that will never be restored, is sucked into the vortex, never to be seen again. The small but significant party, that follows the event is note worthy in the absence of the former owner of said shitty 20.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

as long as the trailer survives.......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

You would think the end of the world is comming down here.
In one way its good to see that people won't be screaming in the streets for the government and my tax dollars to save them.

On the other hand the wife forgot to fill her car and the lines are hugh.
I had to ration her some fuel from the gen supply.

I think she'll be the first to go when the food runs out.

Mike according to the track now, your right on the money. Should pass right over the house. I'll be trying my new .50 cal hurricane dissapation rounds I've been developing.

Well enough slacking, back out to cord wood the boats.

Pat,
You suck for moving.
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Timmy,

You'd better hope it doesn't get anywhere's near Newburyport. You know how hurricanes and tornados seem to head right for trailer parks. If it sees the tubb its bound to make a beeline for it and put it out of its misery once and for all!
Regards,

Doug L.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Bruce, My Brother,

You're probably right about moving... With the drought I keep wondering if I jumped from the pan into the fire, but then I do a grobeck count, sample the non-existant grid lock, see more than seven stars in the clear black night, listen to the river running and guess I done good.

Did you get the Texas Rock Garden in? Mike & Deb married off Lauren this weekend. Hellofa shindig.

Actually raining a bit today and supposed to linger through Wednesday.

Be safe Bro.

Br,

Patrick
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Garden is in.
From all the rain the grass seeds in that Texas dirt has started to sprout.

Somethings eatin the prickly pears though.

I bet that wedding was Texas size knowing Mike and Deb. Sorry I missed it.
Off to the big apple.
randall

Post by randall »

off to where?
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Pat's neice and new hubby are movin to Manhattan.
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Doug, Sawzall's, going to take care of that little problem.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Tim,

When are you firing up that Sawzall!? the way the weather is here on weekends, between the wind and now rain, heck, maybe it would be a good time to join you for the cutting. I can bring the chain saw as well if you like?

Dug
thuddddddd

sawzall

Post by thuddddddd »

need to cut a few tree's down near the tubb, then build the winter frame, then off comes the top on goes the shrink and interior demo. Thinking mid sept.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Tim,
What do you have for engines now or are they still Detroits?
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Currently oil slingin, dump truck motors. You got something else in mind? That my money guy can afford??
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

So Timmy boat up this weekend while I'm up ? Well I guess that means we will drink more.
See you Friday in Manchester.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I had thought you had already repowered.

Now this is a storm............

HONOLULU, Hawaii (AP) -- The U.S. military has evacuated 200 people from Wake Island before the arrival of Typhoon Ioke, the strongest Central Pacific hurricane in more than decade.

Classified as a Category 5 "super typhoon," Ioke is expected to extensively damage the U.S. territory when it hits Wednesday with 155-mph winds, said Jeff Powell, lead forecaster for the National Weather Service in Honolulu.

"This is going to roll up a storm surge that will probably submerge the island and destroy everything that's not made of concrete," Powell said.

The evacuees, mostly American and Thai contractors, on Monday were flown to Hickam Air Force Base on the Hawaiian island of Oahu, said Maj. Clare Reed, a spokeswoman for the 15th Airlift Wing.

The contractors work at a civilian base, Reed said. No other permanent residents live on the tiny island, she said.

Ioke had winds of 160 mph and gusts up to 185 mph on Monday, Powell said.

The storm was 560 miles southeast of Wake Island and on track for a direct hit, according to the forecast.

Wake Island is 2,300 miles west of Honolulu and 1,510 miles east of Guam. The storm is expected to strike at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, or noon Thursday on the island.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Yup, somebody gonna' loose a grass hut to that one... CPM

The Central Pacific Hurricane Center issued its last advisory on Ioke which has crossed the dateline into the northwest Pacific Ocean. Super typhoon Ioke is located about 1400 miles west southwest of Honolulu, Hawaii and about 900 miles east of Wake Island.

Further reports will be handled by Japan Meterological