Half Tower-Hardtop

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jeffery pagano

Half Tower-Hardtop

Post by jeffery pagano »

On the trip home from the Martha's Vinyard Rendezvous we hit about 6-8 foot seas, which twisted my 31 FBC enough to crack in two places the aluminum stern support under the hard top roof as well as break away both sides of the center support under the tower/hardtop. The tower/hardtop was made in 1989 by MWM in Winterville NC.
Because it is somewhat dangerous, I am in need of an experienced welder on the east end of Long Island if I want to even think of going offshore fishing or transporting it to a basin to replace/repair the tower.
Tom Ward has recommended C&C in southern NJ, howver the roof/tower will probably self destruct on the way to Cape May with my electronics in the mix. Does any one have the name of a welder or pipefitter to either repair or perhaps replace the tower in the Long Island sound--NY,CT,RI ?
Thanks for your assistance.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

That must have been some ride . . .!!!!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
randall

Post by randall »

know a guy....actually two....call me..RR
Dug

Post by Dug »

Jeff,

That may explain why we never made it to F1 to go racing!

I would highly recommend calling Marine Metal Fabricators in Barrington, RI. Rick Weller and his wife Mary Catherine will take great care of you. Easy ride as well.

Or you can call Marine Structures in Niantic, CT. The owner is a friend of our own Tailhook Tom, and his name is Billy Martin.

Good people both.

Dug
jeffery pagano

Post by jeffery pagano »

Randall and Dug,
I found a welder who is shoring up the structure at this moment at my dock. But depending on the fix and my cash flow the next step -- structure replacement -- is just a matter of time. It may be that the welder informs me today that the bridge structure is currently beyond repair, so Wits End and I may be done for the season.
Dug, the fabricators you mentioned will be contacted to perhaps revamp my entire bridge/topside, particularly in light of your recommendation and the proximity of the business. The F1 racing did not go off in part because of the bridge and the kids were not old enough to participate regardless of their weekly racing experience.
Thanks for your help.
Harry Woods

Half Tower

Post by Harry Woods »

Jeffery,
Try Dave Wessler in Hampton Bays (631-728-2398). He did my half-tower, bow rail and many other projects over the years. He does great work at a reasonable price.
Harry
White Bear

Post by White Bear »

North Fork Welding in Greenport - (631) 477-0671
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I Had a tower encloser built by Dave Wessler, it was perfect, even after many hard canyon runs he is a master at welding and a nice honest guy. North Fork Welding did my engine mounts and a custom spool fo my bandit. Both are super and I am very happy with both. either are very good.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Jeff,

I thought that might be the case. I thought you had to have a valid drivers license... But I didn't want to pre-maturely pop the bubble and be wrong. I am sorry to hear that they were too young at this point.

As for the welders, if you need comprehensive work on the bridge, I am sure Marine Metal Fab. can help overall. He is the one who has made my bowrail, as well as the new rocket launcher and the new seat. Very, very competitive pricing and great people.

If you need some structural work, you should not forget Skip Helme at Brewer Street Boatworks either. He owns Wahine and did the work on Kristy which you may remember as the spectacular red hulled boat that was at Newport and Montauk. He can be reached at (401) 847-0321. He is in Newport, on the way to Marine Metal Fab.

Hope all is well otherwise!

Dug
jeffery pagano

Post by jeffery pagano »

To all,
I am debating using the original designer/fabricator (WMW Marine)which now does OEM for Grady White with repect to towers or a local fabricator, in an effort to get it done ASAP while saving the roof and canvas in the process. As to WMW, they would use the original 1989 plans but increase the size of the aluminum (1.25 vs.1.5 and add a rear crossmember, that would double as a rear bridge railing to prevent the side to side pressure/sway which weakens the roof crossmembers. It could be created and shipped w/in 3 weeks and would be essentially a bolt on installation process.
As to the local fabricator--I am waiting for plans and a price, who all locally swear by in the commercial arenaHe would repair and rebuild the original tower.
After all I spent this year, this unexpected problem in the middle of tuna season has me by the you know whats..............
As the vessel sits still.....I can only get more pissed off.............particularly when I anticipated the tower problem years ago on the purchase and had it rewelded at all perceived weak points as part of the deal.