Northeast Canyon reports

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Thursday Friday overnight. Are any of you guys going to make the trip? Im going to try and go depending on apt with doctor this afternoon.(I passed out or blacked out a couple times, and no I was not hanging with Thudddd.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Brewster! Yikes! Get that looked at. Of course, you may need more sleep based on what I saw at Montauk!

I would love to go, but Thursday and Friday I will be acting as plant manager as well as my day job, so I won't be able get free. Stinks, as Steve really wants to go, and I would like to have him go even more!

Dug
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Yes we are going Thursday morning for a overnighter. So far thinking Tails anyone hear anything waiting for better temp charts to be posted. Guys limited out there last week on the night bite with yellows and also had 3 B eyes.

Brewster Good luck at the doctors you do need to find out what's up with that. Let us know how you make out.
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

Brewster and Dan,
It appears I will be going Thurs/Fri. in my friends 36' stanley. We will probably start trolling northeast of the tales and head toward W. Atlantis. We'll be on ch.68 "Rooster". A friend of mine got 11 yellows on the chunk last Thurs night there. No troll bite at all. Looks like there's a nice beak thataway.

Seems like we might be in for some cool water headed this way from the east......what do you guys think?
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

P.S.
Dug, I'm also very ready to go with you. Probably just as well it's not happening now, I'm catching the cold that all of block island currently has!
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Steve
I see the body of warmer water NE of the tails looks hopeful will see what the next day brings hoping for a few more good shots. I give you Guys a Shout out there.
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
Brewster Minton

Not going. Doc says heart mermer. Tests Wed Thurs Fri and he will let me know about wether I can go next week. Catch um up guys!!
Dug

Post by Dug »

Brewster,

You will want to know why the heart murmer. I have one and it is harmless. I sure as heck don't pass out. There will be more to it.

Take care of yourself, and you will be right out there again!

D
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

Dan,
What's the name of your boat again? We'll keep an eye out for you. I use the Rutger's site for the big picture- they update every two hours or so, and then use the pay service to see the finer detail of wherever it is that we are going.

Brewster,
Good luck with the doctor.....I hope that it's nothing serious. Hope to see you out there next week if the weather cooperates!
randall

Post by randall »

brewster......good luck buddy...
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Steve It is End Of The Line a 34' Hatt I use terrafin for finer detail.
I will be on 68 Good Luck

Brewster lots of luck like everyone says take care of your self first you'll have plenty of time to catch em.
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

brewster good luck and keep us posted
CHolgerson

Post by CHolgerson »

We were east of the tails and the night bite was not that great. We had tons of squid under the lights and only picked two yellows, the sword and some mahi at night. If you guys go good luck and be safe. I am not able to go for the next two weeks due to work restraints.

Brew,

Good luck with your tests. If you need anything let me know. I am right around the corner.

Chris Holgerson
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

brewster better call st francis hospital they are the best heart people in the country.get it checked than we can fish like hell bent.you are the canyon man and a great person to all of us---best
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Brewster- Get it checked out with the best guys you can find! The fish will wait. Let us know what you find out as some of us have more experience with stuff like that than we talk about, and might be able to help. Walter
Brewster Minton

Thank you guys for your thoughts. We got some great docs working on it. I will be fine and back out there soon. I will keep you posted. Thanks
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Brewster,

Haven't been following the canyon reports too closley & missed your black out post... Good luck with the checkup! Probably nothing, but play it safe.

Br,

Patrick
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Best wishes Brewster.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
neil

Post by neil »

brewster the doctor told me i have a heart murmur as well ,it turned out to be nothing to worry about. good luck and try not to sweat about it regards neil
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

Just got back in from 5 mi east of dip. four albies one jumbo yellow. More to follow after some sleep.
Rosky17

Post by Rosky17 »

Got back Friday afternoon from the Tails, where the hot bite was supposed to be, only got 4 albies on the troll and 2 yellows on the chunk, sounded like West Atlantis was hot ,but could be a rumor.
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Well finally posting we went last Thursday into Friday was east of the Dip about 4-5 miles found a nice temp break of 4 degrees. Problem during the day was WEED, WEED and more WEED! Crew was getting pissed off. Had too go to cold side for no weed and also no fish.
So night was different went into the 73.5 degree water and drifted east along the edge. Had all sorts off action with only 1-2 hrs down time. That was the time I called Steve over and things went quiet, sorry Steve we tried.
Final count 5 Mahia and threw some back
1 Albie
7 Yellow fin
1 100 lb Sword

Lost two yellows to blue sharks and busted off 3 others lots of action night went fast and in the am headed straight home.

Yeah Steve they were all yellows don't now what the crew was thinking but they had it backwards!!!!
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

Another case of the mysterious "yelloweye"! It took me a while to figure out that what we caught wasn't the eye. Still, Dan, It was a great time! We are tentatively scheduling for Sun. Anyone else?
Dug

Post by Dug »

Steve,

The weather looks good enough? I haven't had a chance to look...

That would be good news!

D
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

Dug,
As of this writing, 5 to 10 variable Sun, 10 kts So. Mon.
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

Well, so much for the &*$#@!!! forecast! Tuesday looks reasonably decent. Hope it stays that way or improves. Having a major canyon jones! Must get out and kill some tuna. Anyone else?

We've been trying to rig my friend's 36 Stanley lobsteryacht charter boat to be more canyon-friendly. My other friend marty's (whose stomach problem appears to be benign) boat is laid up with a scarred propeller, he's planning to come with us on the (painfully slow) lobster yacht.

I just had for lunch some delicious fresh yellowfin steaks cooked the best way I have ever had. I will share the recipe here for the enjoyment of the faithful;

Marinade; 1/3 soy,1/3 toasted sesame oil, 1/3 honey. Cut fresh yellowfin into steaks.
Place fish in marinade (amount depends on how many servings desired) along with some sliced ginger root. Marinate for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Grill to taste (I prefer seared). If you want to get real fancy, cut cooked fish on a 45 degree angle into slices and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
The only way yellowfin tastes better is raw, the way it SHOULD be eaten.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Steve
Got a window b/w Friday and Monday next week.
Just finishin up some blackened big eye. Yummm!!!

Look forward to the report
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

I hope I'm not about to jinx the forecast (again), but it's looking pretty darn good for Thur./Fri.

Who's going? Dan? Dug? Brewster? Chris? JP?

We're thinking of heading out Wednesday, and staying through Friday. Don't want to be out with 200 boats on Fri night.

My friend who crews on a commercial tuna boat left Sun., said boats were catching good. Didn't say exactly where, but you don't have to be a genius to see that there are only two or three spots that are holding fish.

Final thought; is it just me, or have there been over 20,000 hits on the "northeast canyon reports" thread? Wow!!
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Steve No good for me flying down to Atlanta to see Family. Will be spending weekend on a Lake fresh water and flat !!! Well its different for sure. Hoping to get out after I get back Tuesday.
Good Luck and yeah over 20,000 WOW
Brewster how did your Tests go?
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
neil

Post by neil »

i was in the wilminton and had a wahoo/one mahia and two yellows on the chunk. mark was out last night and had 14 yellows on the chunk he was in the lindencal
Dug

Post by Dug »

Steve,

It is possible for us. My plant manager is out Friday and all next week, so that might be tough for me. Plus Dad is out of the country on business which further complicates things this week. But if the weather finally lays down, I have a full tank of fuel!

And I have also noticed the amount of views and posts. Wow. Lotsa lookers! Of course, I have looked a bit myself...

Anyway, I will let you know if the planets align, and so on.

Glad to hear Marty was not potentially deadly, but benign instead. That is good news.

Dug
Brewster Minton

Boys just got back from the Dip and they crushed them big time. Filled the boat with yellows and 2 swords 135 and 210. Said there was alot of weed so the trolling was tuff
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

Brewster,
Thanks for the report! Are you going? I've been on the fence about going wed. or thur., but am thinking maybe wed. Were the yellows the same husky ones that have been out there for a while now? 60, 70 pound dressed weight?
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Hey Junior,
tell dad its Lindenkohl!!!!! Unless uncle Marky found a new spot. Nice Catch though........ One more shot of warm moving through then its back to standard practices.
Stuck in Fat Teddy Country till Thursday weather looks iffy for the weekend. Guess I'll drink with Thudddddddddddddddd tommorow night and worry about fishin when I wake up (Could be Halloween)
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
neil

Post by neil »

tell dad its Lindenkohl jp jr knows how to spell ,that was dad that made that error. how is your hangover today
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Well look like a window for Tuesday into Wednesday anyone going???
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
Brewster Minton

Might do a bluefin trip monday day to 23 miles from the lighthouse with scollop shells and bellies to do the dragger sim. or if the forcast looks better than it is now (sat morning) do the overnight to the 100 square tues, wed. We will have to see what happens. Bite is on. Friends crushed them between dip and 100 square on wed, thu on the weed line
Brewster Minton

Tuesday,Wednesday for sure
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Yeah even looks better now for the weather! Looks like we are going will put all the rest together tomorrow.
Brewster thanks for the report that is the area I was thinking off.
Boat is in Patchogue now so I can go out Moriches or F.I
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
Brewster Minton

Looks like the west wall of the hudson to me
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Brewster Minton wrote:Looks like the west wall of the hudson to me
Brewster are you gpoing to be out there or anyone else?
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
Brewster Minton

yup
Brewster Minton

Going to 39.30- 72.00 Its off the edge a bit leaving around 1 or 2 pm this afternoon tue 16th be on 68,16,10
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

Brewster,

Did you have any luck? Wish I could have gone w/ you, just to keep you out of trouble.
"sometimes you go 8 sometimes you hit dirt"

Rob C
Brewster Minton

We caught two blue sharks and a Mahi. I was in the wrong spot for sure. Water was 68 and good weed line but no fish. We tried. The guys who went to Toms off in the deep did well.
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Brewster you were not alone. We had 3 blue sharks but then had one sword about 150 lb on for 20 minutes then the hook pulled. The sword was behind the boat before he took the bait then when we set the hook the sucker charge the back of the boat! Actually could hear it when he rammed us It was Crazy.
I was 13 nm west of the SW corner out in the DEEP landed up 9 nm off the edge in the am we drifted had 68 degrees also but came home empty.
I heard you on 68 and called you but no answer.
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

Hey everyone,
I wanted to fire up some winter time interest in fishing by reviving this thread. I also wanted to catch folks up on what's been going on with me.

I'm very sad to report that I am no longer a Bertram owner! Yes, Storm Petrel is gone..... she took me out, and brought me back from, hundreds and hundreds of fishing trips. I just recently unearthed a giant bag of photos and was looking through them. Many of them were taken on the dock after fishing trips. Charter customers holding up big bass and tuna. Pictures of my eight year old, Andre, with his first striped bass and bluefish..... it just doesn't get any better. *sigh*

Otherwise, it's been the usual struggle on bleak wintry Block Island. Tryin' to make enough dough to keep goin', and just barely doin' it. But I am excited, VERY excited, about offshore fishing in just a few more months. Time to drag out all the rigging gear and go through all the lures, maybe make some new one. Yep. Can't wait!!
John F.

Post by John F. »

Steve-

Congrats on selling Storm Petrel. Somebody got a pretty good deal. It looks like some boats are starting to sell. My neighbor's B31 is under contract (he bought a B33), and another friend called tonight and his boat just went under contract. Block should be real quiet and peaceful this time of year.

John F.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Steve,

I know you were looking forward to selling, but not at the same time. Regardless, congratulations.

You are on my boat anytime we can coordinate it, and the invite will be issued every time. I hope your winter is awesome, and the family is well. Only a couple more months.

Take care my friend. I look forward to seeing you soon.

Dug
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Hey Steve I was wondering how you where. Well congrats on the sale I guess you know what they say about buying and selling of a boat.
Well it is a few months away but will come fast! Hoping to get back to B.I memorial day weekend I let you know if I am coming. Hang in there the madness will soon be back.
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page