From the eye wall

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

scot

From the eye wall

Post by scot »

Well guy's I figure I would be the first to post on the board from the eye wall of a Hurricane. Tropical storm HUMBERTO made CAT 1 Hurricane status just before land fall around 1:00 am. The eye came ashore just east of High Island, TX. For those of you not familiar with this region there's nothing there but 30 miles of coastal marsh..... and Ernest's Hyena in Boliver. (hope the boats OK)

Max wind gust at 80mph. The eye is moving my direction and should be here in an hour or so. Figured I would get in a post before I loose electricity.

Compaired to RITA it's a wuss so far. They are forecasting some flash flooding and a few trees down. If no little twisters show up all should be fine.

Let you know how it goes after the eye passes.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Capt. Mike Holmes

Humberto

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Scot, hang in there. I got several boats ready up to 42' late yesterday, just in case, but the thing decided not to bother us much. It quit raining here before dark, a little sun tried to come out even, Winds picked up for some reason around 10 PM, but it's still here now. Can't reach my son in Nederland, or my folks in Buna, hoping their damages are minimal, as well as your own.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Wow, now that was a surprise!

I checked the Tropical Prediction Service last at 6pm Tuesday & the only thing showing was the area in the Atlantic that had possibilities, now TD-8... Was super busy yesterday & never looked again at NOAA. NOAA's first advisory was TD-9, (Humberto), 1am Yesterday.

From not on the map at all to tropical storm in 12 hours to hurricane status in 24 hours. Sneaky little bastard...

Br,

Patrick
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I hope all of you guys down Texas way have an uneventful hurricane! Good luck!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Scot, Capt Mike,
Thniking about you guys. Glad to know you're okey dokey.
Now all you East-coast Bertram jockeys, as Capt Pat says, watch that next depression. Looks to me like a South paw's curve ball. Hopefully nothing but down the center of the Atlantic.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Capt. Mike Holmes

Hummberto

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Thanks, Mikey. A friend of mine desctibed it as an "Express" hurricane, didn't fool around. Talked to my son who lives near Scot, he said it wasn't as bad as the news media makes it out to be - surprise!
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

Boy, big storms make me nuts. I hope everyone comes out O.K. for you guys.

Here in New York we are due for a bigun' and I'm going to Ireland next week for ten days. My boat is position poorly for bad weather so I'm taking it out of the water just prior to the trip and will put it back in as I return. I can't take a chance. I'll finance the added expense thru my welfare check. Just got a cost of living increase and it will have to do. Blew the gas account into the future this summer with two rendezous. So there's no money there. Maybe I should ask my wife to help me out.
A/K/A El Gaupo
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

We got a lot of rain this morning here in Red Stick, but the sun is out now, its all moving NE fast. Small storm, but sorta mean for a while.

UV
Trey Dibrell

Post by Trey Dibrell »

At my house on West Galveston Island it rained 7" overnight, but only blew about 50 mph. No damage thank God.

Da Judge
scot

Post by scot »

It's over and not too bad. Althought it was my first time in my house with 75+mph winds. The storm came throught Port Arthur and went NE through Orange. 1 fatality in Bridge City. 100,000 without power....including me!

Pretty hairly at the peak, around 5:00AM. The house was moaning and growning....wierd. Max winds recorded were 96mph. So sad the radio?

No real damage. Lost a tree that was dead from RITA, missed the wifes Tahoe by 4ft.

All in all not too bad. Local damage is very minimal.

Thanks for the well wishing.
Scot
randall

Post by randall »

scot...glad you OK
kellysmall

Post by kellysmall »

Glad you're okay Scot. How's the B25 doing? You know, of course, that until your boat rides a dry storage building down to the ground from the top rack that you really haven't experienced the worst it could be! Hope I never have to go through that again! You would've seen a grown man cry when that happened here with Ivan. Keep us updated on your progress. Can't wait to see the final results.

-Kel
scot

Post by scot »

Thanks guys, the boat survived the blow as well. I took a picture of the yard around the boat after the storm. If they get my power back on I will upload and post the shot.

Kelly I have seen those pictures of your boat on that rack. Thank God it was on the top rack! It was incredible that the boat was not seriously damaged. Too bad for all those other boats smashed under your Bertram.
Scot
randall

Post by randall »

to sorta quote pascoe.......worst place to be docked in a hurricane....next to a bertram!
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Scot - did the Sea ray get taken out so you could sell it to the bookies?
scot

Post by scot »

Rocket the SeaRay survived as well. I needed it to come through without a scratch because there is currently no insurance on the boat and the homeowners policy doesn't cover it....unless it's one of MY trees that hits it. A well insured neighbors tree will not work! I learned a bunch from RITA, unfortunately.

The Bertram project fund is actually tied up in SeaRay equity, so it's GOT to make it until I can sell it. Or at least somewhat give it away, which is what it's beginning to feel like. The longer it sits there the more I am tempted to dismantle it and drop all that running gear in the Bertram! If I didn't want a diesel so bad I would have already taken the boat apart...piece by piece and wire by wire.

FOR SALE...HURRICANE PROOF CUSTOM INBOARD 22' SEARAY. (Has survived 2 direct Hurricane hits without a scratch, RITA the CAT 3, and now HUMBERTO the CAT 1.) this is one tuff boat!
Scot
scot

Post by scot »

Typical CAT 1, basically just a big mess to clean up. The 25 sitting nicely on it's re-do rack. I kept shinning the flash light across the yard to see if the boat was still upright.
Last edited by scot on Sep 15th, '07, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.
Scot
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Scot,

Looks like you had a few near misses, but glad it wasn't worse & you're OK...

Br,

Patrick
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

From this mornings Galveston Daily News:

"Humberto not likely to start trend

By Rhiannon Meyers
The Daily News

Published September 15, 2007

Humberto made history Thursday as the fastest hurricane to develop from a tropical depression to a Category 1 storm and make landfall, according to the National Hurricane Center.

Experts agree Humberto’s rapid intensification from tropical depression to hurricane in less than 18 hours was unusual, but they said they didn’t think it was the beginning of a trend.

Three other storms have grown from depression to hurricane in 18 hours — Blanche in 1969, Harvey in 1981 and Alberto in 1982 — but all were out at sea, according to Associated Press reports."

More....
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe