Northeast Canyon reports

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

Northeast Canyon reports

Post by Dug »

Anyone been fishing in any of the Northeast canyons? Any luck?

I have a few friends who have not seen much other than blue sharks, and a spot of bluefin tuna here and there.

Not much else that i have heard. I didn't know if anyone else has had any luck, or info.

Thanks,

Dug
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Yea its not good at all.I spoke to people who went to every canyon you could think of and nothing great some white marlin in Baltimore and a 120# bluefin on a sword bait in the hundred square and from the dip to Atlantis got nadda out of 5 boats even one from Veachs got squat. Now I just heard some swords were caught in the Hudson 200-300 pounds on two seperate boats.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Boats fishin way east of my cut caught a few nothin good and got worse as the weekend went on. Need another filament to come through.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Dug

Post by Dug »

That is what I thought I would hear.

Thanks guys.
kscheben

Post by kscheben »

Sea surface temp charts don't look all that encouraging. It doesn't appear that any eddies are breaking off the stream northeast of us that would travel down the 100 fathom curve towards us. We need one soon to stock the local canyon waters. I've been hearing disappointing reports from our local canyon (Hudson). Lots of threshers being caught though, if you like inshore shark fishing.

Ken
ed c.

Canyons

Post by ed c. »

I know that you are North of my area, but for info the hot dog and 19 fathom lump are red hot. The inshore chunk has just started, we went 2 for 4 on bluefins with 1 flat of sardines. Good luck to everyone.
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

Dug,
Have you seen that warm core eddy south of Nantucket off 1000 fathoms? All hell is going to break loose when that thing hits the shelf. It'll definately perk the fishing right up.
Steve
Dug

Post by Dug »

Steve,

We have been watching it. It is really warm water.

You are right.

And I got the Sirius weather working last weekend. It is cool as heck!

Dug
waggles02673

Post by waggles02673 »

Dug

The Tuna bite East of Chatham is the best it has been in a long time. Every fish I have heard taken is over 60". I have been told the whale show itself is worth the cost of fuel. I have been laid up this season because of back surgery, figures. It might be worth your while to run the boat up here for a weekend and go fish out East for the Bluefin. I am sure Mark would be able to show you all the hot spots and if not let me know and I can give you the numbers.

Jon
Brewster Minton

There are yellows in the Dip now 60# and a couple of Albies
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

Brewster,
Were you out yourself, or did you hear this from someone else? I'm ready to go as soon as we get the right conditions. Tell us more!!
Steve
Brewster Minton

A marlin and more yellows came out of that same water yesterday and I will be going the second the wind backs off Thurs maybe.
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

That's great to hear Brewster. Any info on the night bite? I will be heading out as soon as the weather allows. We're in a fuel-sucking Luhrs 38, so it makes sense to go overnight if we can. What channel are you on, should we happen to be out the same day?
Brewster Minton

68, 10, and 16 I scan. I will get to the dip area 4am thursday. Ill go off the edge tward 500f or so and start. call Cormorant Princess if you show. If someone would like to go call me I got an open spot left. Just bring your own food no beer and NO BANANAS or white lighters. Call 631 457 2587.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

well that leaves me out, i have a white lighter
Brewster Minton

change for weather, Im leaving late tonight, Dip by 4am tue and back tues night. Thursday its going to blow.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Brewster,

Looking forward to the reports. I hope you have different info than I have been getting lately!

Next three weekends are booked (the last one with the rendezvous!) but if the fish are there, let us all know! Maybe I will grab a day!

Steve, you are welcome on Alchemy anytime. I was out on Block on Saturday, and didn't see the boat in the water or your wife at the craft fair. I am guessing Storm Petrel is either sold or not in, right?

Well, either way, you are welcome anytime! I will let you know when we finally get off our butts. All the reels just got re-spooled, so we should be ready as we gonna be!

D
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

love to go with you brewster but iam pulling the boat tues. re painting the hull and new rub rail
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

Brewster,
We'll be out tomorrow as well. Can't leave till 5:00 tomorrow, we'll stay out late. Forecast is perfect. I'm not sure where we'll be yet. Perhaps start at Block (fishtales) and troll west. BTW, why are you starting in 500 fathoms? Looking for marlin and/or bigeyes? or some other reason? See you out there.
Dug,
The boat is out of the water. I still have yet to get one serious offer on it. Yes, do be bold and take a day off to fish. If I'm not already fishing, Id be happy to go.
Brewster Minton

Took Chris and Dave and we had 3 marlin bites lost a small tuna and caught a mahi south of the dip. We dropped the ball, the fish tried hard to eat but that is why its called fishing. 73 off the edge 75 in the dip and 76 on the flats and the water looked crappy green and not much weed at all. Chris from Bertram 31.com was great to have along and is a great fisherman and new friend. Oh Dave was cool too after he got done puking all over the back of the boat, thank God for Sureflow washdown pumps.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Brewster, thanks for the report. Sounds like there are fish out there. Maybe not fill the boat quantities, but they are there. That is good news!

Steve, any word!? how did you do on the Luhrs?

I guess the Monster shark tourney on the vineyard is this weekend, so my crew is a bit thin, plus Liz's mom is coming to town, so I will likely not be fishing this weekend. Maybe a weekday trip depending...

Good info, thanks!
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

Dug,
I wouldn't go rushing out there just yet if I were you. We found a two degree break with some life. Birds, dolphins, a whale or two. We saw mahi too small to eat lures, had a ferocious knockdown (had to be a yellowfin), lost the fish within a minute, and otherwise had the worst canyon trip ever. First time in my life returning from the edge with NO FISH! That being said: it was great to be out! There was one boat who had caught one yellow in the same place we worked, the west edge of the dip. at least the weather was perfect.......I'll consider it dues being paid. One trip closer to a great trip!
Dug

Post by Dug »

Gotcha Steve. Like I said, it isn't going to happen for a bit more, but I bet it was great to be out there.

Always better than being at work!

D
Brewster Minton

Steve you should have said something on the radio. I saw that Luhrs as I crossed the 100.
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

Brewster,
We were the (riggerless) white 38 express. There was a sweet looking convertible with a blue hull out there too. I tried raising you a bunch of times on ch. 68. I think the small antenna on the boat doesn't allow the signal to travel vey far. It was owned by one of the Luhrs family and not ever fished. It still needs a few things changed out. The boat (usually) sure catches fish considering it's riggerlessness! So we haven't been in too big a rush to put them on. We're planning an overnight sometime next week, if the weather will support it.

BTW, what inlet do you run out of? Don't you have a greenstick on your boat?
CHolgerson

Post by CHolgerson »

Brewster,

Thanks again for a great trip. I learned a lot and I am sure we will beat em up next time. I will be heading south to Indian river to overnight at the Hambone this weekend hopefully we can nail a nice bluefin. I will call you when I get back maybe we can set something up for next week.

Guys that FLIR unit Brewster has is absolutely insane. It makes running at night soo much safer.

Best Regards,
Chris Holgerson
Brewster Minton

Steve I run out of Jacksons in Hampton Bays. I took the green stick off because they change the rule so you can only run 2 baits from it. I am no longer going to commerial fish tuna as I can not comply with the new regs. I am going to marlin fish and swordfish more now. You should check that radio, I never heard a word from you. I was talking to Fishing Impossible all day and saw the luhrs with no riggers two or three times. Before you go call me at 631 457 2587 cell
Brewster Minton

Going to leave late tonight fish wed, thurs, overnight in the dip and deeper. If anyone goes Ill be on 16,68,10 vhf Cormorant Princess. Good Luck
Dug

Post by Dug »

Brewster,

Good luck! Be safe, and we will all be eager for your reports when you return!

See you next weekend!

Dug
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Brewster,
I'll be in the Hudson tonight. I'll try and give you a shout, we're on 65.

JP
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Dug

Post by Dug »

Ditto for you JP!
scot

Post by scot »

If someone would like to go call me I got an open spot left.
....well Timmy, what are you waiting for? I think you could use a few days offshore in an RLDT.

Brewster if I were closer I'd take you up on that in heart beat.

Good luck
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

common sence dictates that I pass
Brewster Minton

Only did a day trip but we caught a blue marlin 160# and 3 yellowfin about 50#. The bite was to our east and when we got there it was over, with 4 or 5 big eyes taken and a couple guys with 30s getting stripped by 8:30am it was over. Guys overnite did well in the deep of the tails off the edge. I had my dog with us and did not want to stay overnight. Fished with Chris H and Tim who are both born hard fishermen, Chris caught his first blue marlin,Tim wired. A good time was had by all.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

3 YFT bite slowed after 8:00. Smaller fish 40lbs lots of short bites on the baits. Hook 3 hold 1, hook 2 hold 1 and so on.
Let a mako go around a 100lbs.
Boat ran good everyone got meat. Nice day.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

Brewster & JP,
Nice job! I'm hearing that Hydrographer is going off bigtime. Not surprising if you look at the temp charts. We're headed out there going overnight Fri-Sat. Brewster, I'm wondering if you caught those yellows out in the deep? I'll post sometime on Sat. & let you know how we did.

Dug,
Howse about going next week?
Dug

Post by Dug »

Steve,

A midweek trip is absolutely on the table. I want a break from here, as it has been some very long hours for the past month. This weekend the crew and I will be in Annisquam, not fishing, and next weekend is the rendezvous, which never stopped anyone before! So I will absolutely keep you in the loop. You are right, the water looks really good.

Maybe a day trip during the rendezvous, and otherwise, I am thinking about a midweek. As I said, you are welcome anytime, and I will keep you in the loop. Good luck on your trip!

Dug
CHolgerson

Post by CHolgerson »

I just got back from the Fish Tales we left at 11pm Thursday and fished until 6pm Friday. We lost one nice fish after a solid run off on an 80W out in the deep. The fish dumped half the spool against 30 lbs of drag and then just came unbuttoned. There was not much going on out there. There were some wahoo caught and a couple of bigeyes lost but I did not hear of any being landed. We keep two nice sized mahi and headed for the barn. This was my fourth canyon trip in two weeks and I am still looking forward to the next trip. This fishing stuff is addicting.

Brewster,
We did not have any vicious Mola mola bites either. It must be a Bertram thing :)

Chris Holgerson
Brewster Minton

My buddies spent 3 hours on a fish in the middle grounds and SNAP
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

We were out there during that fight. Tried to leave at 5:00 am, had an engine overheat. It was 9:00 by the time we got it straightened out, so we went to the south, not the east. Finally caught the season's first tuna- on the chunk! We lost the first fish, about eighty pounds and totally on steroids. Busted off after a bad gaff shot.The second went around fifty. One albacore on the morning troll. A few mahi, one of them over twenty pounds. Slow, but at least we caught something. Can't wait to get out again.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Should we re-start the old "wolfpack"?

I love reporting here, but it would be great to do an email ring as well.

My email is dstowe@lutco.com.

You guys? I have stevonbi, and probably have JP as well. Others?
Dug

Post by Dug »

Steve,

Sounds like a great trip overall! Except the gaff shot and the overheating engine. But good fish!

Dug
goldfish74

wolfpack

Post by goldfish74 »

Dug
I still have the old spreadsheet with all of the e mail addresses. We are in for the 07 version. I can send it to you if you would like.
looking to do a wednesday overnighter, weather looks nice for now. Somewhere between toms and the dip.
Anyone out there give a shout to Goldfish, 65 or 68.
Jeff
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

Dug,
I yelled at the guy who screwed up the gaffshot something fierce, and then I proceeded to do the same thing on the next fish. Just didn't really grab any meat with the point of the gaff. Difference was, this one didn't break the leader when it took off. Re the overheating, we simply removed one of the thermostats from the offending engine and were on our way. She ran cool at trolling speeds, but around 170 at cruise. I guess the guy at the yard had a memory problem when he said the heat exchanger had been removed and cleaned 40 hours ago. The weather this week looks excellent. Anyone going?
Dug

Post by Dug »

Jeff, maybe email it out again, particularly to the crew on this thread.

That would be great!

Steve,

I am not sure if I can do this week. I am really thinking about running over to Montauk on Friday for the rendezvous, and taking a shot out on Saturday or sunday depending on the weather and the water. Fish still seem pretty scattered, and there are logistical challenges that are minor but there for the weekend. If Dave C., comes over with me, then we have him, and I may be able to get guys over from the mainland also for a trip like that. Could you get to Montauk?

Either way a trip is imminent... I just need some sleep first. My candle is burning short...

Dug
neil

Post by neil »

dug we will be in montauk thurs if you need crew, mark would prbally love to join ya neil
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

Dug,
That's too close to the tournament. Right now would be better, except for work:) A few days ago, the fish were biting great. I wonder if it will pick up now that the full moon is past.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Definitely going to have to see how the week rolls out fish reports wise. Neil, thanks for the offer, it is possible. As Steve said, I want to watch to see how the fish bite develops or doesn't...

And steve, I forgot about the tournament... Have an absolute blast!!!!

Dug
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

As the T-Shirt says "Shut up and fish!!!!"
If you wait for the good report it just means your gettin there a day late.
Just GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by JP Dalik on Jul 31st, '07, 09:17, edited 1 time in total.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
randall

Post by randall »

number one surf cliche´....."you should have been here yesterday"