"Detuning" a 31 Bertram for billfish

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ironworker

"Detuning" a 31 Bertram for billfish

Post by Ironworker »

Even though my boat is not quite finished, I was able to pick a weather window in March to get her to the Bahamas. I've spent most of the time working on the boat for the last 4 weeks, but I did get to fish her for three days.

My problem is I'm catching too many bill fish. So far two Sails and one Marlin. I'm not fishing for billfish. I'm fishing for dolphin. I'm using 30# class tackle with 30# mono. I have 5' of 100# leaders. These billfish are tearing up my gear and I'm wasting time fooling with these billfish.

Is there an easy way to "de tune" my 31 Bertram so as the bill fish are not so attracted to it?
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
SteveM

Re: "Detuning" a 31 Bertram for billfish

Post by SteveM »

I'd say try again now and in the month of May for dolphin. Drag some skirts and/or add bonito strips (dolphin love those). I usually fish the ledge back and forth with an average depth of 250'. The tuna may like this as well.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

It's a nice problem to have. I don't think you can detune it, it either is a fish raiser or it isn't. As Steve said it is probably the season. Once the Summer hits other fish should become available to compete with them.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

I'm catching plenty of dolphin, thats not the problem. Its just that I could catch more if we weren't wasting time and tackle with bill fish.

I expected that there was not much that I could do to detune it for bill fish. I guess its just a curse that I'll have to accept as a Bertram 31 owner.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Carl

Post by Carl »

I always thought Mahi were not so finicky. Maybe pull the fragile candy and replace with something a bit more rugged with less flash and heavier leader, little less speed. Maybe a sweet spot where billfish take a pass with the Dolphin still going for it.

Sorry, it's hard for me to feel bad for you having to deal with such problems...lol.
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

I thought about upping my rigging and I guess that will be the solution. When I high speed troll for wahoo, I'm running some pretty heavy tackle but for dolphin fishing, I like to go light. My favorite way to catch a dolphin is on a spinning reel.

On Saturday we got 5 wahoo cutoffs even though I has a couple of inches of 49 strand under the lure skirt. I generally pre-rig about 3 or 4 dozen Ballyhoo on lures which we generally go through pretty quickly before we have to break out the frozen Ballyhoo.

I don't mind so much loosing a several $5 or $6 dollar lures but I hate to get spooled and have to set a rod aside for the duration of the fight. I have 15 rod holders on the tower which are generally full. Taking a couple out of action hurts.

BTW, I know I owe you guys some pics and specs of the final build. I've been cleaning up some issues before I post the pics but it won't be long.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

I need some of your problems :)

up my way, the osprey's have shown up and I did see one flying with either a pogy or herring. Fishing should be starting soon for me.
Geebert

Post by Geebert »

Todd
Carl

Post by Carl »

I understand enjoying light tackle, my thought is using a heavier leader to possibly make it less attractive to the billfish.
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Carl wrote: Apr 23rd, '24, 05:40 I understand enjoying light tackle, my thought is using a heavier leader to possibly make it less attractive to the billfish.
I've actually caught blue marlin and tuna while high speed trolling for wahoo. My general HST rig for wahoo is 3' of 900# 49 strand cable through the lure, 25' of 250# mono to the 48 oz trolling lead which also has 3' of 49 strand cable through it to the 100# top shot main line attached to 100# braid. I generally average one wahoo and tuna per season while HST in my 26' Center console with dual outboards. I guess when a fish is hungry they will bite most anything especially at higher trolling speeds.

I'm very interested to see what the 31 Bertram delivers while HST this fall in the Bahamas.

When the wind dies down we'll get back out there and see what we catch. I need to run a speed trial with the new props so I can post in the build thread. Fully loaded with 5 people and full fuel she averages 26 kts at 2200 rpm which I think is pretty respectable.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Rick

Your problem sounds almost like the Capt. I used to fish with down in Grand Cayman. I gave him some Cedar Plugs to try. He had never heard of them before. Next time I went down and asked him how they worked he said he was careful when he used them because he couldn't keep the Marlin off of them.

Again, nice problem to have.

Enjoy the ride, you put a lot of work into her.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
neil

Post by neil »

It is good to hear that the old pepper is catching again
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

Rick,

Where do you visit / fish in the Bahamas?
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Preston,

My home base is in Spanish Wells which is in North Eleuthera. We generally fish a couple of miles from the dock but will occasionally venture out to a max 40 mile range.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue