31 FBC STRIPPED WEIGHT

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

S Ritzert

31 FBC STRIPPED WEIGHT

Post by S Ritzert »

Has anyone ever weighed a stripped down 31 fbc? No engines, rudders, shafts, struts, fuel, floors, windows, etc. Completely gutted down to the Hull, deck, and flybridge.

I know my boat was refurbished by Cabrera about 20 years ago. I assume it has their deck and flybridge.

I'm asking because I want to know if my hoists will lift a gutted boat. I can lift 8500 lbs. The site search gives all kinds of weight ranges.
Tony Meola

Re: 31 FBC STRIPPED WEIGHT

Post by Tony Meola »

Figure 12,000 lbs before stripping. Take out 220 to 230 gallons of gas at about 6lbs a gallon. That's 1,300 lbs. right there. Engines and transmissions probably come in at another 600 lbs so know you are down about 2,000 lbs. Pull out the rest, you are close but no guarantees.

Problem is the older boats are the heavier boats after 73 they were put on a diet. My 75 with full fuel comes in at 12,000 lbs. Thats with the Cummins.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Steve,

I wouldn't trust a 8500# lift for that boat even stripped. My rule of thumb is 30% higher lifting capacity than load and if its my boat I'm going with 50% higher than load.

I had my boat weighed after it was painted. With full fuel it was right at 14,000#s IIRC. Its a 1969 model
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
S Ritzert

Post by S Ritzert »

I was told by the previous owner that she weighed in at a whopping 18k pounds according to the marina hoist. I find that hard to believe myself.

I was wanting to lift her to get my trailer bunks adjusted perfectly. I have all the safety gear to hoist and block boats. I have actually had a boat lift ring fail, and had the boat smack the concrete. That's a scary thing to happen!!

I was assuming we would be around the high 6k to low 7k myself. If I remember right, she's a 64 model

Thanks for the input!
Carl

Post by Carl »

My 62 with 440's and 160 full gas tank came in at 14K years ago at last marina.

I know they measured weight with the hydraulic gauges on the travel lift, we have the same setup on our lift...but I wonder how accurate those gauges really are, I use 'm as a ballpark at best.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Remember the older boats are heavier so I would say yours goes close to 14k.

Do you have any commercial truck scales or how about scrap yard that has a drive on scale over there?

See if they will let you weigh the trailer first then the boat on the trailer. That will be the only way of finding out.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Carl wrote: Mar 20th, '24, 11:23 My 62 with 440's and 160 full gas tank came in at 14K years ago at last marina.

I know they measured weight with the hydraulic gauges on the travel lift, we have the same setup on our lift...but I wonder how accurate those gauges really are, I use 'm as a ballpark at best.
Very interesting! My rebuilt boat using Coosa (deck, floors, engine boxes, furniture, bulkheads) with twin Cummins QSB 5.9s and 340 gallons of fuel weighed in at 14,000#s.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
S Ritzert

Post by S Ritzert »

Carl,
I was wondering how a travel lift actually calculated weight. I guess the more hydraulic pressure, obviously the more something weighs.

Tony,
I used to have a friend that worked at weights and scales for DOT. He used to come weigh stuff for me with is portable scales. He has since retired. I considered using the scrap yard, I actually used them years ago to weigh an old wooden Chris Craft for a customer. The downside is, I have to transport through the middle of our town to get to the closest one, and I'll have to pull permits to do that.

I do want to get an accurate weight though, so I will figure something nifty out for sure.
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Over the years Amberjack has been lifted by three different yards. When I asked what their gauges showed for weight one said 9,500 lbs, one said 13,500 lbs and one said their gauges had been broken for years. I don't think either of those weights were accurate. Amberjack probably weighs 10,500-11,000 lbs. Maybe a new lift with calibrated gauges could give an accurate weight.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

Mine was loaded on a trailer with a crane - and was told it was right around 14000 lbs.

FBC - 330 Cummins - Next Generator - Hardt top etc, (I didn't have much fuel) 340 gallons of fuel is 7.1 lbs per gallon - so at 340 gallons you are at 2,414 for just fuel...
1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
Oldcreek

Post by Oldcreek »

I just bought a '69 31 Bahia Mar with factory hardtop. Crane operator said it was right around 7,000 lbs when he loaded it onto a trailer. (Probably 6,000lbs...see my other post below.)

The boat is practically a bare hull. No deck/floors, engines, trans, exhaust, shafts, struts, props or rudders. Fuel tank empty and no pumps/filters. No front windshield. Interior mostly gone. Engine boxes are present as well as a lot of the metal hardware, dash box, steering wheel and what not. Basically, a gutted hull.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/CQ ... lkqRZVdXAo
Last edited by Oldcreek on Mar 31st, '24, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
Wil M.

1969 B31 Bahia Mar w/ Factory Hardtop
2014 G3 14'
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Some marks here and there will buff out!

Good luck and enjoy!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

A little bleach and water. That looks more like mold.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Wil

Are you leaving the hard top on her or going with more of a traditional top?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Oldcreek

Post by Oldcreek »

I'm definitely keeping the hardtop. I've been trying to get one for years but missed out on a few of them.

There's mold/moss and there was even a small plant or something growing in the bilge. :P

I'll start a thread on here soon...
Wil M.

2014 G3 14'
S Ritzert

Post by S Ritzert »

cool looking boat. I thought it was lichens growing on it.

That's what I figure for being a closer weight myself
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

There you go, another planter, a Bertram this time!
Carl

Post by Carl »

That’s no Planter….

I have not been a huge Bahia Mar fan, but love the style with that factory hardtop.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I like the tear drop like fold on the side, reminds me of the 60’s...
It will never match the style of the Rivas, nevertheless it’s an aesthetic addition.
Oldcreek

Post by Oldcreek »

I'm going to amend the weight down from 7,000 lbs to.... 6,000 pounds since there was probably 1,000 pounds of water in the fuel tank. :P

And, yeah, lichens growing on it. :P
Wil M.

2014 G3 14'
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Oldcreek wrote: Mar 31st, '24, 15:46 I'm going to amend the weight down from 7,000 lbs to.... 6,000 pounds since there was probably 1,000 pounds of water in the fuel tank. :P
And, yeah, lichens growing on it. :P
We need pictures to prove that your 31 exceeds the one that had the tree growing out of the bilge.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

There's mold/moss and there was even a small plant or something growing in the bilge.
Just “a small plant” …as in singular?? Heck, that’s not too bad. Call me when it gets to looking like the album cover on George Carlin’s “Toledo Window Box”.

Good luck it’ll be a great looking boat when you get done. They clean up nice.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

S Ritzert

I can’t give you an idea what the weight is, but a couple years ago a stripped Flybridge model followed me home. It had the galley, head, most of the rotting bulkheads and the fuel tank but nothing else, not the cockpit deck or drive systems.

I have a cradle with casters that I have it on at this point. When I transferred it from the trailer to the cradle, I put it in the middle of the shop with plenty room to “run like hell” if it fell, and I lifted it off the trailer with 4 regular boat stands and nothing else. I had the cradle ratchet strapped to the trailer and pulled the trailer out as the cradle followed it under. I was surprised how easy it was to lift a couple inches off the trailer to get this done. I was guessing about 8,000 lbs.

BTW, I wouldn’t recommend doing that, but I was by myself in my shop and had to get the trailer out that night due to other purposes. Necessity is the mother of invention.

That one had lichens and so many vines growing in it you couldn’t see the fuel tank.
S Ritzert

Post by S Ritzert »

So, I spoke with a friend of mine that works for the Sherriff's department locally. He in turn talked to a friend of his that works for DOT. They are going to bring some scales out, and get a weight for me. The weight that I am getting first will be an actual weight of the boat assembled, then I will get a complete dismantled weight later on.
Carl

Post by Carl »

What the saying?...It's not what you know, but who you know.
S Ritzert

Post by S Ritzert »

yessir, so true!
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Bahia Mar, take a look at the photos of the Reel Cowboy. I was inspired by some of the things he added. The spray rails or perhaps I should say widened chines are great! My boat has a very dry ride on the FB and in the cockpit.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
S Ritzert

Post by S Ritzert »

Ironworker,

I will for sure look into that. I, without a doubt, want to take action to keep the ride as dry as possible. I am not sure where the spray come from to help keep it down, but maybe your recommendation will shed some light on that subject. I have done a little research on here to see recommendations for keeping spray down, and mostly what I read was folks saying that you take away from the lines of the boat by making any modifications. I love the lines of the boat, but I love staying dry a lot more!!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Shannon,

For permanent results, Get yourself a 28!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Spray...

The 31 slices through waves, those slices of water/spray follow the V-Shape of the hull's bow area, up and out. What goes up comes down, what goes up n out...you run into with a little wind action and forward motion.

If the bow had more flare it would push the spray downwards, if the chines were wider it would deflect the spray more. If running fast enough with bow proud, you'll have spray coming out behind you and life is better in those times. But seas build, big wakes cross your way and those odd waves show up once in a while, Boat slices' em up and its shower time.

Not a bad thing on a ride to the beach, or a super hot day you're just killing time cruising. Not the best when dressed for Dock in Dine or a late fall trip out to the Striper grounds in 30 deg weather.
S Ritzert

Post by S Ritzert »

Yannis,

I have one of those too

I lost an idler pully at the end of the season last year, and I am now rebuilding an engine from it

S Ritzert

Post by S Ritzert »

Carl,

I understand what you are saying there. If the spray comes from midship (engine area) aft, I considered building spray relief pockets under the boat so you will see no visual change. If the spray comes from midship forward, then I would thing reverse chines would help. I don't wat to get into redesigning a hull, but I don't mind doing some simple preventative measures if its worth the time. What I would hate to do is spend the time widening, or inverting chines, just to find out that I pissed up a rope. I've only got to use the 31 in the lake down the road from my shop. Even the worst day on the lake, can be considered a great day in the Gulf.
Carl

Post by Carl »

S Ritzert- Great thing about this site is you do not have to piss up a rope, you have Rick and John with the Reel Cowboy who did what you're considering. Before John, guys had mounted spray rails which worked, but I think took away from the clean lines.

If you listen to me you'll have heard me saying how wet the boat is...and it is at times. But I have 30 years of memories ...more often than not, descent days it's not an issue, lousy days, not too bad. Get in snot it's wet I'd think spray rails or not.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

I have been getting wet for 49 years. It's only bad when it is 5 hours' worth of getting wet coming home from Offshore. Your tired you want to get home, and water just keeps hitting you in the face.

But you know what, I wouldn't trade it for anything else. Many great memories.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

S Ritzert,

Here are a couple links to the Reel Cowboy showing the spray rails back when John had it. I never felt they detracted from the look of the boat too much. John would go 30-100 miles out on the regular and had the boat for around 20 years. He doesn’t check in here anymore as he sold the boat.

I never ran it with him so I don’t have any first-hand knowledge. But he let me know several times he felt the spray rails were well worth the money/effort.

One of the faithful on here bought the boat, perhaps he’ll chime in.

http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2779

http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.ph ... oy#p109908
S Ritzert

Post by S Ritzert »

Daniel,

Thank you! I searched around a lot of his post's yesterday and had very little luck. I appreciate you taking the time to link those pics! I noticed he was in Freeport, and thought I bet I can run around Freeport and just find his boat and see it in person if need be.

100 mile runs huh. Do you know if he took extra fuel? I was curious as to the range of my boat I haven't had it long enough to do the math. I was invited to a tag team run to boomvang last year, but with my 28, I would need to bring about an extra 50-60 gallons in fuel to have reserves. It's about 100 miles out of POC. That being said, I heard they were dismantling that rig too, I don't know if you heard the same.

Anyway, thanks again for the links!!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Shannon, yep, I knew you had the 28 too, I was wondering...us, we barely have enough time (...and money may I add) to have ONE boat.
How do you manage with two?

Talking about fuel in the 28, I always fail to understand how you guys manage to fit so much fuel in the 31.
My 28 takes about 520 liters, give or take, depending on the temperature and the ...precision of the meter of the diesel truck...
Which divided by 2.7 liters per NM gives me a range of about 150-160 NM with some necessary reserve.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I am not sure if John added extra fuel, but with diesels what John was doing should not be a problem as long as you have the 220/230 gallon tank which I believe Bertram switched over to sometime around 1970. With Gas engines you would probably need about 50 more gallons.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Shannon,

I assume John carried extra fuel when he made the long runs. I’ll ask him next time I see him. He had Yanmars and I believe his Bahia Mar was intentionally lightened up for that purpose.

The Reel Cowboy went to Florida with the new owner. No longer in Freeport.

Sad to hear they are taking out boomvang and so many of the other structures out there. I don’t know what will be left to fish and dive on out there. The oil rigs were an oasis to dive on, the structures were fish magnets. I had many good dives on the rigs.

I like messing around with old boats but I’m mostly an offshore wanna-be. I haven’t been out in the Gulf in many years. I dove the Gulf quite a bit when I was younger and would fish on surface intervals between dives. Also, I traded out galley work on a dive boat from Freeport that made overnight trips to the Flower Gardens. So I dove quite a bit back in the day, but most of my fishing has been either inshore/bay or a little offshore over the years in Cabo San Lucas. And almost all my diving and snorkeling over the last 10 or so years has been in the Florida Keys. I like the short runs those two places afford me. I’ll leave those long runs to you real men on this site and the young guys. Lol.
S Ritzert

Post by S Ritzert »

Yannis,

I am fortunate in working in the marine industry, and having contacts, and the ability to do a majority of the work on my own, I am not afraid to tackle a problem that I have no knowledge of either. Unfortunately, I am more of a trial and error guy, because hands on sticks with me more that being told what to do. The 28 is my business partner, and my boat, so parts expenses are shared. The 31only for my wife and I, it is our retirement boat, so when I get that done I will probably hand the keys over to my business partner, or we will sell it.

I don't know if this answers your questions regarding fuel, but I just keep notes on my travels. I use a fuel gauge as a guide more than anything. I just know what I burn, and what my range is, and I check my calculations after every trip. I try to plan for 1/3 tank out, 1/3 tank home, 1/3 for reserve.

I had a scare last year. A solid fuel line from the injector pump to an injector broke, and poured out diesel all over the place. I shut that engine down, and cut the power to it. We were about 35-40 miles out when this happened. In cutting the power to that engine, it also cut the power to the fuel gauge. When I turned around, and got the bow pointed to land, I looked at the fuel gauge to see if I could determine how much fuel we lost. The fuel gauge was showing completely empty. I looked over at my son, and said "buddy, we may have a bigger problem. I cant imagine loosing over 100 gallons in fuel off of that incident, but my gauge shows we are about to be dead in the water". When I looked back at my gauge, I realized the power was cut to that cluster of gauges. I was so relieved that we still had plenty of fuel.

Daniel, I'll tell ya what. you guys that dive aint no slouches. I dove once on my boat to pull a prop. I got very claustrophobic, and uncomfortable. I was using an air type pump on board, with a full face system. The hardest thing I ever had to do in my life is take that first breath when I was under water, it aint natural!! I think I will leave the diving to you real men, and I will stay above water. lol.

BTW the Flower Gardens is a goal of mine one day. When I get a little more experience under my belt, I want to make a run to it for sure!!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Shannon,

My intention was to quiz you about time, no about the money involved...

The first part of the screen shot I understand; it shows that 71 gl for 110 m (I assume nautical miles) gives 2,45 lt per NM, which is more economical by 10% than my 2,7 lt per NM.
If they are statute miles, then we are about the same.
It would be useful to know at what speed you observe this consumption.

The last part that says 1,5 gl per mile beats me!
You guys use your boats totally differently than us. There is no way a 31 could be more useful in the Med than a 28. Probably it's the other way around over there. In my case I would sell the 31 and keep the 28!

Also, the notion 1/3 of the fuel out, 1/3 in, 1/3 reserve, is meaningless to us. Because the out is always a destination, and there is more out if you continue the next day to the next destination, PLUS, there is fuel for us to replenish at any destination, you only (mostly) get fuel once you're back.