Cradle for 31

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Greg A.

Cradle for 31

Post by Greg A. »

My dad came across the plans he made a loooong time ago for a cradle for a 31 bertram, measurements copied from I think a factory purchased one lying around here in NJ. We built one for our 31 back in 1986, fit like a glove and went with the boat when we sold her.

Anyway, my dad has the plans and for a project, just ordered the timbers for build another cradle. The Bertram bug is crawling all over him, but he has to sell his farm first. To do SOMETHING 31 related, he is going to build a cradle, not even having a boat right now.

Once built, who knows how long it will sit till his farm sells, so I told him I would put a posting on the site to see if there was any interest in cradles. Being built from solid oak timbers thrubolted with galvanized bolts and allthread.

Dunno yet mow much he will have in materials, as the wood is being cut by a local saw mill as we speak. If there is a call for them, maybe we could build a few. Only thing is, I remember it being VERY HEAVY, so where ever you keep the boat should be where you store it.

Get back to me, and I will let him know if there is any interest.

Greg A.

PS.

Charlie Haws,

Sorry about not sending lures to the Mid Atlantic, but T. Cable has been buying up EVERY lure I can make.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Greg: I have the factory drawings of the factory cradle with all of the angle specs in a pdf file if you want it. The drawing came with my '66 from the factory.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Greg

Believe it or not I still have ours from 1975. Sits in the marina all summer, never moves and in the fall, the yard just drops me in the same spot. Its starting to see better days, but hey it works. Probably the best support you can get for them. Set it up two cement blocks high, stabile, and easy to crawl under. If you need to take any measurements off of mine, its in Forker River. Probably not that far from you. Tony Meola
John Jackson

Post by John Jackson »

Carver's in Point Pleasant has at least two in their shed. I bet that they would let you look them over and take measurements.
Greg A.

Post by Greg A. »

Thanks guys, but we have the plans. Will let you know how it comes out.
Hal

Post by Hal »

WHere would I get plans for one for a 35? Sounds like a fun project and since I usually have to haul 3 times / yr for hurricanes and projects, it might be a good investment.
I like crawfish and beer!