28 hull side ripples

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

wgiarratana

28 hull side ripples

Post by wgiarratana »

Hi guys I posted this once before and luckily had a few respond. The ripples that was explained to me was the bonding/epoxy breaking loose they have become a little more noticeable question is there a fix ? Is it a structural problem? The general consensus at the time was it was strictly cosmetic and hadn’t heard it being an issue most being forward like where the v berth would attach to the hull. Thanks again
Ironworker

Re: 28 hull side ripples

Post by Ironworker »

can you post a picture?
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
wgiarratana

Post by wgiarratana »

I took a couple of pics but they where very hard to see I don’t think it would work to much reflection
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Are you saying that the glass above the water line is delaminating or is it below the water line?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
wgiarratana

Post by wgiarratana »

About a foot above the water line no delaminating it’s more a bulge out it’s definitely where the cockpit deck would meet the hull sides same forward where the v-berth meets the hull -previous post 28 hull side
Carl

Post by Carl »

This is not my area...but if I was to inspect and see broken "original" tabbing I would not think twice about redoing it. I would try to mimic the intent of the way it was done. That is if it was left gapped for some movement, I'd do the same. Maybe a bit more robust making sure to prep 100% for the best bond with epoxy n glass.

If it looks like someone did a repair with a beefed-up joint...I'd do some homework on how it is supposed to be or find a similar joint in the boat to copy.

Any chance the deck supports moved, rotted or had something added to change the structure pushing or pulling on hull?

A hull repair?

If still not sure...maybe find someone familiar with the boat or a good knowledgable surveyor to take first-hand peak.

My take is without seeing it the best one could hope for is good guesses which in the end is nothing more than a guess worth what you paid for.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Most of the horizontal and vertical surfaces where they meet the hull are tabbed. It sounds like maybe some of the tabbing has broke loose and the supports have dropped and maybe pressing on the hull sides to bulge.
Yes it can be an issue if the two surfaces rub together. Something is going to wear away and you don't want to be the hull sides.
wgiarratana

Post by wgiarratana »

Thanks Bruce can I take off the side panels and lay some glass down where the connect or do I have to rip up the deck?
wgiarratana

Post by wgiarratana »

Thanks for all the input think Bruce is on the money anyone redone/glassed back in the tabs that hold the deck to the hull?,any suggestions or advise appreciated