Need to get a title to Pats bike....

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bruce
Site Admin

Need to get a title to Pats bike....

Post by Bruce »

Patrick when he passed left his motorcycle to me. It hadn't run in years, I parked it in the garage and never worked on it and need the space as I'm down sizing to retirement.
Title couldn't be found so I need to get it retitled to me to sell it. I can do an abandoned vehicle or mechanics lean, but does anyone know any easier way to go. Last titled in Texas, need Florida title.
Thanks.

Dumping 50 years of excess is not easy.......
Carl

Re: Need to get a title to Pats bike....

Post by Carl »

Short version-

I bought a boat from Larry, who bought it for his sister who he was no longer on speaking terms with, it was registered but he could not find it.
He told me to use the boat under his registration and insurance till things settled down. Larry was a friend of a friend, he had his 46 Bertram in the same marina, saw him often, it was a great deal so I went with it.

I used the boat for the season, and knew I wanted something larger with less fabric and upholstery to clean after fishing. So I went to Larry to get the paperwork. Now he still couldn't find his copy of registration, wasn't talking to his sister who may have had, he was in the middle of a divorce, but told me he'd do what he could...which after a couple of weeks was nothing.

Here's the answer to your question...

I went to Motor Vehicles, told them I bought the boat, and showed a bill of sale, told them the prior owner did not have the registration but was applying for a copy but has since vanished.

I was handed off multiple times till someone was able or wanted to help me- They had me do a penciling of the Hull numbers, write a letter and send both by registered mail, with return receipt requested. The letter was to state the sale of the boat requesting the paperwork from the owner. As the owner was not present at the address the mail would be returned to me from the post office with the reason why, Person not at this address with no forwarding information. I was to take the unopened returned mail to Motor Vehicles and they would issue a temporary registration after I paid the market value taxes and fees on the boat. The registration was non- transferable for several weeks or months, I assume as they did a search to see if any stolen boat claims came in. Then one day a clean title was found in my mailbox and I proceeded to sell the boat.

I mailed the letter to a friend who I asked to refuse it.

I'd think a letter or document of gift from the family would get the ball rolling especially if you can find a helpful person at the motor vehicle. Stuff like this happens all too often...just need to find a person willing and able to help show the procedure.
1962 31

Post by 1962 31 »

https://www.broadwaytitle.com/contact.htm
IVE USED THIS COMPANY FOR TITLES BEFORE
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Bruce,

Another avenue is to have Pat's Personal Representative for his estate request a lost title and have it signed over to you.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue