Fuel Prices

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Amberjack

Fuel Prices

Post by Amberjack »

Sticker shock when I fueled up in Seattle, $7.10 gal at the Marina. He has a monopoly on the Seattle salt waterfront. Relief at Friday Harbor in the San Juan’s where it was $5.60 gal even though they have to truck it in on the ferries. That place still has vestiges of a working waterfront and has always been reasonable.

Then Ganges Harbour in the Canadian San Juans. C$10 gal!! I know, it’s Canadian dollars but you can bet I’m figuring what my range is to still be able to get back to Friday Harbor before I have to refill.

Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Tony Meola

Re: Fuel Prices

Post by Tony Meola »

For those that need to fuel up at a Marina it is tough. Diesel has been hovering near $7 at some of the marinas in our area.

If you have access to a private dock, and are within 150 feet of the street, you can get a delivery directly to the boat and usually save a dollar or more and as long as you take more than 100 gallons it is worth it. The State bangs us a $40 road tax on direct deliveries.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote: Jul 18th, '22, 19:49 The State bangs us a $40 road tax on direct deliveries.

...and the indirect deliveries to the marina fuel dock do not come in by truck??
What a crock... They figured all angles to keep their hands in our pockets.

Someday someone has to explain to me why diesel is now so much more than gasoline.

I've heard some reasons, but Seem to fall back on those that use are in the minority, less of a vote at the polls so politicians don't really care along with a captive working audience that does not have the time to protest...truckers busting their humps.
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Who knows?

And at the moment I really don’t care….

Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl wrote: Jul 19th, '22, 08:17 Someday someone has to explain to me why diesel is now so much more than gasoline.
Carl

There are less refineries today and diesel is an after thought in refining. So less capacity to make it means less supply, more demand drive up the price, plus we now ship a ton of it to Europe which is something that has grown over the years. The days of cheap summer diesel died about 20 years ago.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Geebert

Post by Geebert »

Lets go Brandon
Todd
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote: Jul 19th, '22, 20:27 plus we now ship a ton of it to Europe which is something that has grown over the years. The days of cheap summer diesel died about 20 years ago.

ship it to Europe when we need here...
So when Europe finishes banning diesel we'll see a drop or increase in supply n cost.

Cheap, not thinking cheap, but more than gasoline is another issue.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Hilarious!!

The price for diesel at the islands is around 2.20 tp 2.40 euros per liter.
Multiply this by 3.80 to find cost per gallon....
Luckily the weather is so windy we cant go anywhere really...first time the bad weather is so cost friendly!!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

PRICE RELIEF! We paid $5.04/gal at Friday Harbor Tuesday on the way back down.

Interesting boating patterns. The US San Juan and southern BC docks had more mid-sized boats, maybe owned by people who paid attention to fuel costs. Further north in BC the boats were larger and newer. My theory is that even though the larger boats used more fuel per mile the owners were less concerned about fuel cost than the people with mid-sized, usually older boats. I know we thought about and nixed the idea of running 40 miles up Princess Louisa Inlet figuring the $550 fuel cost for a couple days up there wasn't worth it.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

I just had a truck come to the house 4.20 gal. I can use him at my marina as well once I go in the water.
Jason
Carl

Post by Carl »

We've been talking about doing that at our place. But the gasoline guys start crying what about us...

$4.20 is great! Maybe I'll take a ride over, that price more than pays for the trip.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i also have truck delivery to my boat, last price was $5.10 (commercial head boat) price aside from price the fuel additive is fantastic also kicks it up to 45 cetane.never so much as a minute speck in Racors truly spotless fuel
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Geebert

Post by Geebert »

Making people excited to pay 4+ per gallon.
Mission accomplished.

Todd