Converting FBC into SF??

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rickysa

Converting FBC into SF??

Post by Rickysa »

Having just had one (soon to be two) knee replacements (and a broken kneecap on the same knee), I was thinking it might be prudent to be nearer the center of gravity when things get snotty. Anyone have any thoughts on how difficult it would be (and $$) to add a helm in the cabin?
Amberjack

Re: Converting FBC into SF??

Post by Amberjack »

Ricky,I have lots of thoughts. Especially as I’m spending a fair amount of money, time and energy removing a lower helm crudely installed by a PO. He had the boat rigged as a commercial salmon troller. Must have been back in the day when gas was $0.25/gallon because the boat had thirsty Crusader big blocks when I bought it.

Even though it was crude the lower helm was functional but I only used it twice in 25 years. The sight lines are very limited, non-existent when the bow lifts at speed, so my lower helm only works at 7 knots or less. I guess if you’re out in the snot maybe that is your speed limit.

The challenge is routing the engine control lines (don’t forget to add those into the equation) as well as the steering hydraulic lines. The PO of Amberjack ran the steering lines down the windshield, and the engine control lines down the aft cabin bulkhead. Just not professional looking at all.

My solution, i hope, is to remove the lower helm and replace that function with an autopilot remote. The engine controls I think will mount to the salon overhead over the console area airplane style. Or maybe we should just swap boats……
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Ricky, reviewing the above I veered off into my own story and didn't answer your questions.

The difficulty is running both steering and engine control lines from the bridge station to the salon. They have to go through the chase in the pilaster which is really difficult, then behind the cabinet work and under the console to wherever you place the new controls. You could eliminate the steering part of that by going with and autopilot with remote. Also by mounting the engine controls to the overhead.

Cost? If you stay with Hynautics you'll need a new helm, wheel, lines, engine control senders. New would be expensive, Its a captive market and Seastar has really hiked prices. Very likely some on this forum have decent used parts available. Carl seems to have a warehouse full of boat parts. Then cabinet work to house the new lower helm plus labor for the installation if you don't do it yourself.

Finally, this will be a stand up pilot station. My helm is on the console directly in front of the forward cabin companionway, about the only place to locate it. Stand up only, could be hard on old knees.

I mentioned I only used mine twice in 25 years. I was very happy to have it both times but probably would have survived without.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

It would be an easy job if you're willing to convert to electronic controls! My plan is to add a cockpit steering station at some point in my refit.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
trace elements

Post by trace elements »

Amberjack,

I think the lower helm is a worthwhile installation, although, when I asked, it seemed like a very unpopular topic. For the cold weather seasons where we do a lot of trolling and low-speed cruising, the lower helm, where you are dry and heated, is perfect.
Carl

Post by Carl »

The issue with a lower station is what was mentioned...visibility is lousy.

I say this from having an Express with the helm midway between a full lower helm and a flybridge. To get a feel as to where mine is just stand on your motor box and walk forward to the bulkhead...that is where I drive from, my windshield is where your bridge sits...my helm seat I made a bit higher than when I stand.
When the nose comes up seeing in front of the boat is not great. Here in NYC we had lots of floating debris and I was good to find a piece yearly till I put a tower on to drive from up top on those snotty days when I didn't need to throttle down...but i could not see into the wave troughs were debris always seemed to be waiting for me.

A lower station would be worse. Ever look out the front window on plane...its tough to see. Go slow, trolling on a less than nice day. I can see it being nice and usable. Doing that is of course your call.

As for the work...

I added the tower, upper controls and helm. It' 's not difficult, the price is not cheap....but what is. Hydraulic steering is pretty simple to run a 2nd...just T the lines and run to the helm. Control cables take a bit of thought as to how to route, get good measurements on the length and I would highly recommend buying the BEST cables as you can make tighter bends and they still run extremely smooth.

Running the Single Lever, Dual Purpose Controls may be a bit of an issue...I believe they stopped making the switch box which piggybacks the 2nd cable. Single Lever, Single action is pretty straightforward as they run tandem and another plus is they are less expensive. Sometimes I wish I went that way.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Get a blue tooth wireless control for auto pilot, that takes care of steering.
Depending on your controls, a second station can be cheap.
After all your only using it if your caught in crap weather.

If money is no object you can get a neck carried remote control setup to run everything. Pretty much like an RC plane or car.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bruce wrote: Jun 20th, '22, 12:37 Get a blue tooth wireless control for auto pilot, that takes care of steering.
Depending on your controls, a second station can be cheap.
After all your only using it if your caught in crap weather.

If money is no object you can get a neck carried remote control setup to run everything. Pretty much like an RC plane or car.

I hope the bluetooth wireless controllers work better at connecting and staying connected than my phone does to my car and boat radios.

I'm guessing they use a higher power output than the standard run of the mill gizmos. Than just hope you remembered to charge it all up.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Carl,
Use blue tooth every day at the shop for various duties. It's as reliable as a wired connection, but I understand your concern.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bruce,
Bluetooth I find works flawlessly except when it doesn't. Lost connections are a problem, but most of the issues I have is the stuff won't pair or connect having to reboot multiple times. It may just be my experience is mostly with smart phones and tablets to initiate the connections but that could also have something to do with bad apps running things too.