Wishing for warmer days

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

kross1

Wishing for warmer days

Post by kross1 »

Freezing in NY. Spring can't come soon enough.
B28 "NINA PETER SANTA MARIA"
CamB25

Re: Wishing for warmer days

Post by CamB25 »

Nice!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Not just nice, a beauty, the best small real yacht ever made!

Peter, I don't know how you use that deck table, but a folding one I find more practical. You can move it around according to every need.
Enjoy.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
kross1

Post by kross1 »

Yannis
The table is made from an old swim platform. It is mounted very solid so if you need something to hold onto it’s there.
The name of the boat is “Nina Peter Santa Maria” my daughter my son and my wife. I guess I’m Santa.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I gathered it was CC's fleet, Nina, Pinta, Santa Maria.
So you're not Peter??
kross1

Post by kross1 »

Yannis
My first name is Kenny.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Good looking boat!

Yes, Santa....bringing joy to your family with the present of a boat ;-)

Wishing for warmer days...Amen to that my friend!

I am so tired of being cold and winter...and it is just getting into gear.
My dog loves the cold...so its long walks with him on weekends or 5:30 walks in the morning before work...not sure which is worse.
Get to work...machines and metal are cold, hands in coolant all day really put a chill in me. Forget outside deliveries...
Lately, my fingers have just gone numb outside..even with gloves. I guess time for better gloves or less cold.

Eh... it's the northeast and to be expected.

Yes...warm day on the boat sounds so very nice right around now.
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Its 78 F here! The fishing is a little slow.

Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Don't rub it in.......... Its a balmy 11 degrees Fahrenheit where I am
kross1

Post by kross1 »

Sometimes I wonder if the “cold people “ appreciate the warm weather more when it comes around then the all year
“ warm people “ :-D
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

I appreciate warm weather quite a bit but then I also appreciate air conditioning. Its hard to beat the weather in the Bahamas. Wintertime temps range from 70 at night to 80F during the day. Seawater temp is 75F.

But the B31 is calling and I have to get back to work on her.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Carl

Post by Carl »

kross1 wrote: Jan 21st, '22, 11:03 Sometimes I wonder if the “cold people “ appreciate the warm weather more when it comes around then the all year
“ warm people “ :-D

I like to tell myself that...

but dad, after 10 years since moving to Florida does not miss giving me a call on every cold spell, every snow storm....just to tell me he's got the doors open with warm air flowing through.
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

I sympathize with you East Coasters as we already had that weather. The mid Atlantic and Northeast usually get our weather 4-5 days after it blows through here. If you like I would be happy to give you a head's up on anything exceptional coming your way (that's a joke)! At any rate today is bright and sunny, predicted to be the first of 4 or 5 after the wettest January on record. Look for it next week!
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Guys,
You cannot eat caviar all day. You'll eventually get bored. You'll ask for some pasta, some steak or burger...

Similarly, to make ready for spring or summer you have to live the winter. With its beauties. The cold, the snow, everything.
Don't tell me that 40 C degrees in the summer with heat and mosquitoes is better than a grand walk in the snow, back into a velvety couch by the fireplace drinking the liqueur of your choice...and doing other things too...
I love the summer because there is a winter in between. Its now snowing in Athens, I love it.
As for the summer, I love it too, climates that are always the same all year round I don't like, they are simply too boring.
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Yannis wrote: Jan 21st, '22, 16:20 climates that are always the same all year round I don't like, they are simply too boring.
Have you seen the girls in the micro bikinis here year round?
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Haha, that’s a good one!

I dont know about the bikinis there, the bikinis here however are stunning at times.
By the end of a 4-5 months summer weather though, one ceases to be amazed anymore...
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Kenny,

I wanted to ask this for a long time: What are these two additions on the hull's rear side; namely this metal air grill - where does it funnel air to? - and that white horizontal "thing" ?
They are present on later models, like yours, mine doesn't have them.
Thanks.
kross1

Post by kross1 »

Yannis
The stainless vents have hoses that go to the bilge, no blowers just hoses. The white “mail slots” are part of the
Velocijet exhaust system That they started using around 1983. The exhaust gasses go out of the mail slot and water
Goes out the stern.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thanks Kenny,

Air vents to the bilge? That far back? Why? Who knows...

Velocijet? Separate gasses from water? In other words how to complicate your life for no reason? LOL
Sheer Folly

Post by Sheer Folly »

Yannis,

I have the same two ports on my Bertram 33, one for the exhaust and the vent for the generator blower. Air intake on the port side vent and exhaust out the starboard vent.

Richard
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thank you Richard,

only there is no gen in the 28 in that area, I wonder what these vents are for.
Had never heard of the Velocijet exhaust either, I wonder why one would care to separate the gasses from the water.
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

I have the side exhausts on my 79--I believe that was the first year Bertram used them. There are two advantages that I see: very quiet--you can sit in the cockpit at a 20 knot cruise and talk in a normal tone of voice, and the transom discharge is only about 1.5 inches in diameter, so it is much harder for water to back up into the exhaust system.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Interesting...

Although the back up potential problem can be solved with exhaust flaps; simpler than having to divert the exhaust into two different ways, plus the holes in the hull.
As for the quietness, I wouldn't know as I'm always up in the fb. But for others who are below, I agree, it is a big plus.
There are so many 28's around but I haven't yet seen one with this system, I would go and ask directly...
Spinagain

Post by Spinagain »

My '79 B28 FBC also has the Velocijet exhaust. In addition to what has already been said, I read somewhere it helps keep the exhaust fumes from rolling back into the cockpit while under way. Don't know if that would be an issue... maybe only following sea?

On the negative side, they are fiberglass (I think) and chip/break pretty easily if not careful.
Ed
1979 B28 FBC on Lake Erie (Toledo)
Sheer Folly

Post by Sheer Folly »

I think it was done mostly for the station wagon effect of exhaust fumes.

My brother (who has a marine repair business) and I have done a few jobs to convert the exhaust out the sides rather than the stern for that reason and to also eliminate the soot buildup on the transom of boats with older Diesel engines.

Richard
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I haven't observed the station wagon effect in my 28.
This is probably due to the low boat profile that does not create low pressure, instead it allows the air to flow freely along. I believe the inverted slope fairing up on the bridge helps.

I heard that the station wagon effect is present in boats with enclosed bridges that block the air flow.
Notorious for this are the Blackfins.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I've test driven and rode on more boat models than I could name in 29 years of boat service.
The two common factors that contribute most to fumes being drawn back in the cockpit is high bow angle and slow speed.

Sometimes side exhaust, underwater exhaust have helped. Also Sea Ray famous for their cockpit arches had this issue and with wind tunnel testing realize tilting it down slightly solved it.

Leaving the forward hatch up and cabin door open will create a positive flow aft but only at speeds forward enough to create air flow aft. Otherwise you'll get stuff sucked into the cabin.

I had one customer who designed a down draft wing, set it in his aft rod holders with two attachment points and pulled it out in the cabin to fish or left it for howdy boating with his family.
This enough to interrupt air flow. He was a pilot and understood wing tip vortices and how they operated.
CHolgerson

Post by CHolgerson »

I have been fortunate enough to be fishing on some big and fast sportsfishing boats lately and the station wagon effect makes the cockpits pretty misty at cruising speeds. We are cruising 30 knots plus and the boats are 60 ft. It must be an engineering nightmare trying to prevent that negative pressure. Hatteras and viking have not figured it out yet.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Okay guys not funny you Northern people sending your cold down here. We are supposed to break low records this weekend.

Signed up for a car show tomarrow, 40's with 20 knot winds. Probably staying home now.

Everybody up north on my count.......INHALE.......
neil

Post by neil »

Bruce,we live right on the water in nj we are going to get a foot or so
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

yeah the foot or so part noaa has us in the 12-18' belt one of my buddies is a weather nerd and he was showing me a model that was 3'

Here's NOAA's view
https://www.weather.gov/box/winter
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Bruce,

It must be the "station wagon effect" from all the cars and trucks leaving the NE and heading to Florida. The cold air is drafting down behind them.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bruce

Be careful of the Iguana's. It is a real pain when they hit you on the head.

US NEWS
National Weather Service Issues 'Falling Iguana Alert' in Florida
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Don't have to worry about falling lizards, the local imported temp visa workers hunt them with pellet guns along public access canals.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bruce wrote: Jan 29th, '22, 19:34 Don't have to worry about falling lizards, the local imported temp visa workers hunt them with pellet guns along public access canals.
You are kidding right?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

No Tony, I'm not. Used to watch them at work across the street on a fresh water canal. They would walk away with 15, 20 of them.

Apparently it's supposed to be good. Local Island themed resturants buy them and serve it.
Plus they cook it at home, tough to feed 43 people living in an apartment.

As long they have calves, pigs and Cornish game hens at the market, I'll skip the dinosaur meat.
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

I've never tried lizard but I had fried alligator at a Christmas street fair in Tallahassee a few years back. It tasted like fried chicken.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I think I'll just eat chicken instead!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

We ate some on an excursion in Belize. I’m sure the Belizeans(?) were laughing their asses off in the kitchen. “Can you believe the tourists ate that s**t!” (actually it was just another choice on the menu, I think a pretty common one. I figured what the heck)

It was kind of scrawny, grilled on a skewer. For what it’s worth... best I can remember...tasted like chicken. Kind of stringy and chewy though.

The Florida Keys are overran with the dang things. I guess southern Florida is as well. The more folks taking them out with a pellet guns the better! They are invasive, and terrible pests.

I haven’t had alligator in many years. Years ago a buddy had one start hanging out in his back yard pond. That guy tasted great.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I thought Florida wanted them destroyed, yet on the news tonight they showed all the stunned iguanas laying on the ground. Told people to leave them alone. Heck I figure that would be a way to rid Florida of thou
sands of them in one fell swoop.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony, I'm sure the news there is as accurate as it's here...long as it sounds good and gets views the content is fine.

I'm not running out for reptile meat, but from what I've had it's not bad when done right. Then again that goes for many things...some are even damn good.
Oysters...sweet and succulent chilled over ice ...but take a step back and that can really look slimy and disgusting.
Lobsters look magical to me, but a step back and they are ugly critters.
Mud Bugs, those mini lobsters that go by the name Crawfish, living in the bayou mud banks get boiled with some spice n corn, add an Ice cold beer and I think I've tasted heaven. Same goes for crabs n shrimp.

Now wanna really wonder what they were thinking...Snails. Ok big sea conch do have an allure to them...at least till pulled from the shell. But the lil-land guys for escargots. Crazy delicious and not something I'd look at and wonder...hmm, wonder how they taste. Then try and think..well maybe if I purge the crap outta them they'd be better.

Fish...eels. Snake on a plate, I hate snakes, but they are tasty things when done right. and I guess we can't overlook the Angler-Fish...AKA Monk Fish. the Poor Mans Lobster that still commands a heavy price for a mild non-taste fish that's ugly as hell...but nobody cares as it looks good on a plate with a mild taste.

Anyway...the right chef with the right recipe can turn a meat product into something everyone is willing to pay alot for with the right ingredients, right prep, and some well-guided advertising...Orange roughy, Monkfish, Tilapia. Might be a good way to get rid of an invasive species.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Tony,
Yea leave em alone unless you kill them. Like the movie Tommy Boy with the deer in the back seat waking up, people have put them in their cars taking them to the vet in cold weather with the heat on in the car. They wake up and start running around the car. Needless to say there have been accidents....

Yesterday morning I had frost on the windsheild, ugh.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Not to mention locusts and roaches fried to....perfection in Asia!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I realize there are some over the top animal lovers out there, but who in their right mind would take one of those things to a vet, especially when there are dozens of them laying on the ground. Which one do you save? LOL
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony,

As a side remark, I realize that in order for you to shift (one day) to metric, you may have to start by modifying some English expressions that bear INHERENT connotations of the imperial system, e.g. from "dozens" ...to "tens" or "hundreds" of them laying on the ground, LOL !!
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Carl,
I think they are doing that with Asian carp that's been dumped into our waterways from Ballast tanks.
No thanks.

As long as we have choices until they introduce soylent green, I'll pass on the exotic species and bugs.
Carl

Post by Carl »

If it taste like chicken, I'll just eat chicken. But if different in a good way then please pass the iguana or whatever.
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

not to be a contrarian, but how many people can say that chicken tastes like chicken anymore?

the stuff that has been showing up at the grocery stores SUCKS!!! chicken breasts that look like the size of turkey breasts and stringy as all heck.

I don't mind paying a bit more but don't know how to figure out what is good and what isn't.... lately we've been buying the roasting chickens and breaking them down ourselves.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Matt- not contrarian at all, chicken is just plain bland today. Taste like chicken has become the catch phrase for anything that is really kind of tasteless and bland. Some like to call stuff like that A Blank Canvas to create...I call it bland and the prep n ingredient make the dish...the "protein" could be anything with limited taste. To tell the truth, I find many steaks and burgers to be right up there with bland, washed out and void of taste.

Yes, bigger birds and break them down has a touch more flavor with more bite. Still not a whole lot. This kinda makes my case...if something taste bland "like Chicken" why go through the trouble of using it, unless cheap or overly easy. Monkfish...bland as hell but a nice sauce or blackened the taste is good...I'm just not going to pay alot for that fish IF offered a better choice.

Now I'm going to contradict myself. I have been making Chicken in the Sous Vide and the results are pretty good. You can add flavors to the bag before immersing, but what I have grown to enjoy...naked full breast in the bag, cook an hour and a half at 145F. It comes out moist, juicy, very tender and as its naked you only taste chicken. Very mild, but it does have a taste. If served liberally with salt pepper a pesto or chimichurri the chicken does shine through. A quick sear on grill after can also be done, but the flavor of the chicken starts to get lost as grill flavor starts to overtake.