Engine overwintering

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Amberjack

Engine overwintering

Post by Amberjack »

I keep the boat in commission year round even though it is sitting in the lake under cover during winter. Part of this program is to run the engines at high idle, maybe 1100 rpm for 45 minutes every two weeks to get the lube oil and fuel oil both warmed up and circulating. The manuals say these engines (Yanmar 6LP-STP's) are good for up to 6 months without winterizing but I don't like the idea of cold starting after that long sitting without lube oil circulating.

Diesel engines like to run at speed under load so I wonder, am I causing more harm by running at idle this often as opposed to just letting them sit cold for 5 months? There is a 120 watt heat rod under each engine during the winter.

I'll be interested to hear what this board with its engine knowledge has to say. I tried running under load at the dock at 1100-1200 rpms and almost pulled the cleats out of the dock so that is not an option. Running at 25 knots in the cold and rain for half an hour every couple weeks doesn't have much appeal either.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
THESALTYSATO

Re: Engine overwintering

Post by THESALTYSATO »

Doug
Back in 2017 I asked the question about engine block heaters as my boat is on a lift. Bob Lico responded and suggested Kims Hotstart block heaters. He was absolutely correct. They keep you engine block at a constant temp and the water circulates slowly thru the engine constantly. Engines are always warm , no sweating of the blocks, electrical contacts are dry and no corrosion. I like him keep mine plugged in 365 days a year. Look back at the comments in 2017 and I think you might want to research this as an alternative.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I came from the north and did winterizing on my dad's boat while stored in the water. He to had a covered slip and an agitator behind boat to keep the ice from forming around the hull.

He had dip stick heaters on those big Cats which kept the block, oil and coolant temp about 75 degrees.
Didn't run them during winter but built a oil pump out and circulating system so when it came time to start in spring, circulated the oil in the gallery for 5 minutes before starting.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Doug

It's the dry starts after sitting for 4 or 5 months that does the damage. But remember, there is always some oil that stays on the metal, in actuality, it takes more dry starts after sitting for the winter then the engine will probably ever see before you would notice any damage.

Here is what they do on gas engines.

https://theshopmag.com/features/engine- ... ving%20oil.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Bruce probably knows best but I like the idea of running the engines to warm everything up every couple of weeks to lubricate the internals and exercise all of the bolt on components. While different (Bruce knows this also:), in the aviation piston engine world the number 1 killer of engines is disuse as a result of corrosion. I like your approach.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

once opon a time i bought a use Toro lawn mower from a landscaper and up to a year ago it was my record for a mechanical device. the twin cummins engines in my 31 Bertram broke that record .they are in the boat 15 years and never had a breakdown, repair of any kind, never smoked and start on a half of a turn from march to dec. INCREDIBLE reliability for any engine whether it be car, boat,or airplane. not always so lucky the top of the line BMW -M-5 sport activity was worst then a detroit 6-71 leaking oil from every seam With complete dealership maintenance. so what do i attribute this fantastic cummins engine reliability too ! i took out the factory threaded plug in the block located next to the oil cooler and inserted a coolant heater that maintains 75 degrees by way of a thermostat 24 hours a day 365 days a year (they also keep the cockpit area warm when the boat is covered in the winter). and never rust in the engine compartment. the engines fire up on a half a turn without the manifold heaters which i removed when brand new in 20 degree weather to 90 degree ambient temperature.i too old to argue so do what the hell you want but learn from this BTW like i said before i can get all the Shell rotellar i want just turn the handle on the 55 gallon drum BUT i use Valvoline (cummins even mounts a tag next to engine tag) but some people ignore. what can i say!!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds as though I'm hitting most of the high points so I'll keep doing what I'm doing. Besides, sitting on the fly bridge for 45 minutes every couple weeks gives the boat time to talk to me. Your boats talk with you don't they? Mine does:

D-o-u-g, what happened?

We were having so much fun just two months ago!

Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Now that is funny. Have you considered professional help? Whatever you do, do not let you wife catch you talking to the boat.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Of course, I talk with the boat all the time. Doesn't everyone?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl wrote: Dec 8th, '21, 07:08 Of course, I talk with the boat all the time. Doesn't everyone?
I find that most of the time, the boat makes me talk to myself, especially when a project does not go right.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Tony Meola wrote: Dec 7th, '21, 22:45 Now that is funny. Have you considered professional help? Whatever you do, do not let you wife catch you talking to the boat.

I think I'm OK Tony, the boat talks to me but I don't talk back. You might want to keep an eye on Carl, though.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
beachbum

Post by beachbum »

Carl wrote: Dec 8th, '21, 07:08 Of course, I talk with the boat all the time. Doesn't everyone?
Recently it's been swearing more than talking, "you ****ing piece of **** why does nothing ever work no matter how many ****ing hours I put in...!"

This is the problem when the day job is a superyacht and the hobby is another boat, sometimes boat overload occurs
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Amberjack wrote: Dec 10th, '21, 15:35 I think I'm OK Tony, the boat talks to me but I don't talk back. You might want to keep an eye on Carl, though.
I think we lost Carl a long time ago. It happens to those who are trapped on Staten Island. Not really a part of NY City and an Orphan of New Jersey.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Hey Mike,

I don't know if any similar expression exists in English, but in Greek when we want to say that somebody is swearing, we say that he speaks French!!
In this context, my boat is by now FLUENT in French, as half of the time it hears me talk French to it!!

As for Carl, let's be honest, the boy put-in the first 20 hours on his new diesels, he should be exempted from hard criticism for a while, ha ha!!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote: Dec 11th, '21, 21:25 I think we lost Carl a long time ago. It happens to those who are trapped on Staten Island. Not really a part of NY City and an Orphan of New Jersey.

Oh I wish I could get away from NYC...Staten Island is changing, just not for the better. Hate to say Jersey is not far behind...

I discuss the best places to go fish with the boat and she's put me on fish a few times. I'm afraid our other discussions may be a bit more...to use Yannis' term "French"...especially during the ethanol days. Changing pushrods on one motor while trolling on the other...while trying to keep a watchful eye out for traffic. Eh...all good.

Yannis...nope, I put just under 100 hours on the motors...think it's 97 and 95-1/2 or something. One came with the hour meter run up a couple of hours...when trolling I try to shut that one down to even out the guages. Boat said, she liked to have them reading the same, so I try. Gotta keep her happy.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Your "Boats" talk to you?!?!?
Should I be concerned that I have decade long conversations with individual parts?
I have a prop shaft that ratted out my nephew, lectured me in Wittgenstein's ruler (https://quotefancy.com/quote/1529456/Na ... he-ruler-s) and gave me a B.S. in thermodynamics.
They all like the winter - the more creative of the parts and systems use the time to come up with ways to command my attention and capital...
Currently, I am wondering; if the starboard engine carburetor is harboring silt in its final filter, the port engine is preparing to fail a lightning hose on the outboard bank of cylinders and which of the house batteries may be a slacker.
Please do not let them know of my suspicions, surprise is one of my few advantages.

Amberjack- would you consider using an oil analysis company like Blackstone (https://www.blackstone-labs.com/) to see how your engines are responding to your maintenance plan?

Best,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Stephan wrote: Dec 14th, '21, 12:27
Amberjack- would you consider using an oil analysis company like Blackstone (https://www.blackstone-labs.com/) to see how your engines are responding to your maintenance plan?
Stephan--Hmmm, yes thought about it but the mechanics I've talked with all think my maintenance seems as reasonable a program as any so I haven't done that yet. We'll review it during my 1,000 hour service next month. As to talking to components.....that's a whole new field of endeavor. Glad you brought it up. As readers will know I don't talk to the boat, only listen while it talks to me. But components? I talk with them a lot, mostly expletive not deleted type of words. I was a Teamster in my early days and I know a lot of them!
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

All of our boats talk to us. We know when they don't feel good. The moans and groans change when running always catch my ear. I always stick my head in the bilge at some point while she is running. Just to make sure the shafts or something else is not yelling for help.

Stange noises only really bother me 100 miles offshore. Had that once. Took us about 15 minutes to figure out it was a rudder zinc that loosened up and was rattling.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
John F.

Post by John F. »

I talk to Crows Nest and my B20 every time I get back to the dock--I thank them for getting back safely.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J