Did B31's originally have gelcoat on the hull?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ironworker

Did B31's originally have gelcoat on the hull?

Post by Ironworker »

My boat has so many coats of bottom paint and other layers of paint its hard to tell if its gelcoat or paint. It looks like gelcoat but I'm not sure. So paint or gelcoat?
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Tommy

Re: Did B31's originally have gelcoat on the hull?

Post by Tommy »

Yes, the B-31s, and all Bertrams, we’re gelcoated prior to laying up the fiberglass.
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Thanks. I thought so.

I'm using epoxy to repair the hull so now I need to study up on gelcoating over epoxy. From the little investigation that I've done, its can be done with adequate surface prep. Unless someone has a better suggestion.

An INET search says that epxoy gelcoat exist. Anybody used this product before and can give a pirep?
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

There's no need to re-gel coat if you are going to bottom paint.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

I am going to bottom paint on top of 3 coats of epoxy primer. I just thought the gelcoat would add a little extra protection.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Gelcoat is a liability below the waterline. use epoxy only.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Cam and Rawleigh are right; no need for gelcoat on the bottom.
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

WILCO. Thanks guys
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Interlux 2000e , 4 coats, 1st bottom paint coat applied when 4th coat wasn't fully cured
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iCeKAyrorGuzYWWc6
Sheer Folly

Post by Sheer Folly »

When I did my Bertram33 FBC, I used as a fist coat a non ablative (red) bottom paint as a “show coat”.

I then applied two coats of black ablative paint. The red show coat has help identify areas in need of additional attention on future coats of bottom paint.

Just my 2 cents, for what it’s worth.

Richard
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Richard,

How long do you keep the boat in the water between two bottom paint jobs?
I believe that the ablative paint on fast boats can't last more than a 2-3 month summer, if you use the boat.
I have no idea what happens if you don't use it that much.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

For what its worth Amberjack's bottom is painted every 5-6 years and gets very little marine growth. Repainting usually happens because the paint has finally worn off in enough places. The boat does get hauled and pressure washed every spring which probably helps.

Yannis, my paint could last longer because our salt water is about 55-58 F year round compared to whatever you get in the Med.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

The bottoms usually get 3 to 5 coats of ablative and up here in the Northeast, with the boats coming out for the winter gets us several seasons of use, with touch up's in between.

I have friend that has a 24 Topaz that only gets the hard bottom paint. Every spring, he wipes the bottom down with paint thinners, touches up any bare spots and in she goes. Boat gets used at least 4 times a week and he gets no growth on the bottom. Now you could say it's the paint or it could be the amount of use it gets, but it works for him.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony, Doug,

I have the impression, over the years, that this discussion about bottom paint leads nowhere!

I haven't as of yet met any two boaters with the same opinion.

One is for ablative because it’s more practical, the other is against, because it washes away too soon and creates a toxic water environment around the boat so they shouldn’t swim.
One keeps the paint for two years, another for three or more, yet, some believe that the paint dies when the boat comes out so they renew every single season.
Others prefer the copper system whereby you apply once every 5 years and then after a mild sanding and an additional coat, for yet another 5 years.
Some keep the boat in the water for two years, and still observe no growth (!!!! I had this discussion yesterday), still others have to brush occasionally during the summer to obtain a clean bottom...

I give up. What I do, and works for me, is that I pressure wash at the end of the season and sand and apply 2 new coats max 2 days before every new splash. I have no idea what would happen if I simply touched up, or even did nothing.

Of course 55-58F or 14-15C is January water temps for us, in the summer it’s more like 24-25C which should play a role, on the other hand the sea is always clean and trans lucid even inside marinas, there are no murky waters, so that should play too.

Like I said, this discussion leads nowhere, each boater has their own opinion!

And I haven't touched the ...delicate subject of WHICH brand to use at all...
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Having been part of boat yards for a long time and seeing boats from colder water and everything in between, the experience I've had with both types of paint differed greatly with application. Like any paint job, prep is 80% of the work. Most quick turn over yards just pressure wash the bottom and do no sanding before applying new paint which is failure waiting to happen. Granted a lot of boat owners complain about costs associated with bottom paint which leads to cut corners.

Also bottom paint itself has been questionable over the years with bottom paint manufactures keeping bad batches of paint on the down low. Being part of two boat yards and boat yards recieving up to 75% percent discounts on bottom paint, they often are not vocal about bad batches of paint because when yards complain about paint issues paint companies are quick to send out reps and will cover costs to do paint jobs again.

Warm water like here in Florida is harder on paint than colder climates, so with all those variables its hard to compare bottom paint jobs and long term results from different regions.

The best bottom jobs I'v seen last are grind down to hull, epoxy barrier coat and then two coats of what ever type of paint you desire.