MAN Smart HYBRID

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

MAN Smart HYBRID

Post by PeterPalmieri »

https://www.engines.man.eu/global/en/ma ... ystem.html

Don’t think they’ll make ones small enough for our boats and if they did all the other stuff probably wouldn’t fit but very cool technology none the less.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Carl

Re: MAN Smart HYBRID

Post by Carl »

Interesting, they have props turning inboard.

I wonder where the actual benefit comes into play. Maybe one motor can charge enough to run both props at a slow cruise. It’s not like electric cars that regenerate on braking and downhill or switch to electric when extra juice isn’t needed.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Carl,

There is a lot of cool info on their site. Motors can run as a generator to charge batteries. Use electric motors for 5mph zones/trolling. Traditional diesel propulsion or a combo of electric and diesel running at the same time. As a system it’s pretty big.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

I can see a big benefit from allowing smaller primary propulsion engines with the battery assist used to replace the lost horsepower when needed i.e. getting a smaller boat up on a plane or in the case of a harbor tug pushing a ship. Foss harbor tugs in Seattle are installing these systems as fast as they can... I know because my old mechanic is working full time building them and isn't available to work on my Yanmars anymore. It makes sense, harbor tugs spend 95% of their time idling waiting for job assignments, no need for a massive engine to do that if you can bring power on line when needed. Not so sure what the benefit is for larger pleasure yachts other than a sales feature.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

At least it will be on large Yachts who will employ one or two engineers that will be trained by Man.

Not sure about Europe, but the US is sadly lacking in qualified service personel to service those technologies.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Peter,
Definitely cool. I can see it being nice for entering quiet mooring fields or needing to slow down in no-wake zones, trolling can be done at infinitely adjustable speeds without worrying about disengaging trolling valves to run. I can see using for Tugs waiting and not having to idle huge motors..although I thought some shut down some cylinders at those times. I guess larger yachts running at displacement speeds could benefit from only using the required power and fuel only firing up the big motors to run.
I'm thinking of applications for us to see a benefit...I don't see much at least not for the cost involved. Maybe if in areas fuel is super expensive.
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

I am pretty sure http://www.steyr-motors.com/marine-dies ... es/marine/
Had this technology as well.
Jason
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Sounds similar to the old diesel-powered submarines.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Carl

Post by Carl »

Diesel-electric has been around a long time. Diesel-electric locomotives where the electric motor is the transmission/ clutch for the motors. Run as many diesel motors as needed when maximum power is required or hook up multiple locomotives. When at speed on a level grade you can shut down motors to save fuel, increase range and save wear and tear on the motor.