Amercoat 450H Paint

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

scenarioL113

Amercoat 450H Paint

Post by scenarioL113 »

I painted my cockpit on my B28 with this paint. I will say that this is def some old school 2-part paint that is full of methyl-ethyl bad-stuff but I think it is heavy duty to say the least.

I got the "white" and am very happy with the results. I would say that this is NOT as pretty Interlux Perfection or Awlgrip but it looks pretty good. It is a brilliant white that pops. I will follow up with a report after the season is over.

This paint is advertised as a paint that is used on off-shore drilling platforms and repels the UV and elements as good or better than any other paint.

This would prob be great to paint Cummins engines also.

I have not been out yet with it or fished with it (slime and guts) but from what I have seen after the rain yesterday it does NOT seem to be slippery, actually it may be the opposite.

The first coat I put on was a bit difficult with the roller and I felt it needed to be thinned a bit. In some spots it is not even and may have clumped a bit. My boat is not a show boat so no big deal for me.

They do have a thinner for it (I would recommend it), but I thinned it with interlux 2333n that I had and seemed to work very well. I thinned less than 10% and had excellent results with the roller.

If you use this you must heed the warnings it is noxious to say the least (I usually and stupidly ignore warnings). This is far worse than those days in High School sniffing glue...

My cockpit was gray and wanted to get back to white

This was the first coat

1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Tony Meola

Re: Amercoat 450H Paint

Post by Tony Meola »

Looks good from here Frank.

Are you sprinkling non skid material on it while it is wet?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

No Tony.

I did not bc after the first coat it rained during the night. When I came the next day I had to dry the deck with towels and the surface was remarkably "not slippery" (like almost rubbery feel...)

I am going down later today to check it out now and will give an update and post a few more pics.

I had trouble getting this stuff bc I was told it can not be shipped (I assume residential or it nds to be hauled professionally bc Haz-Mat)...that has to tell you a lot about the stuff...LOL

My friend picked it up in Cape May for me and brought it up for me
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Frank,

I cant figure out how your cabin is laid out.
Is this an Australian version?
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Yannis

No, I modified it 20 yrs ago. It had a lower station that was useless to me. I moved the dinette to the port side and installed some cabinets on the star side. I am actually going to redo it again next year. I want to move storage locker and tool cabinets more forward for weight distribution. I also do not need two sinks in the boat either etc...
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

UPDATE

I did some tests today and determined that anti-skid additive is necessary for safety. When the deck is wet and you are wearing rubber soles (like boat shoes) the surface is NOT slippery.

When the deck is wet and you are barefoot then it is very slippery. For me, this is the majority and the no-skid is needed.

I mixed up a pints worth and brushed the no-skid where it needed to be.

1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Looks good Frank! I have used that paint before on commercial boats and it holds up well.
Jason
Carl

Post by Carl »

Looking good, nice upgrade.

Slipping on your deck is not fun, a good idea to add the non-skid.

Barefoot...the original boat shoe.
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

OK, the anti-skid stuff did the trick. I brushed it strategically where I needed it most but generally gave most of the cockpit floor a coat with the additive.
I just went a little thicker in the areas that I thought would be more hazardous like coming off the bridge ladder and near the corners where fish will get netted...(haha dont want anyone to go in the water and lose my net or gaff)
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Marshall Mahoney

Post by Marshall Mahoney »

Did you use a primer?
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

No, I rough sanded and laid it on, I ended up with about 3 coats. We will see how it holds up. I think it will be ok.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET