WINDOWS, SNAPS AND HOUSEBANK BATTERIES

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Cturtle

WINDOWS, SNAPS AND HOUSEBANK BATTERIES

Post by Cturtle »

FROM TIME TO TIME, WHEN I NEED THE CORRECT ADVICE I TURN TO MY FELLOW BERTRAM OWNERS SO I'D LIKE ANYONE OR EVERYONE TO CHIME IN ON THE FOLLOWING:

1. THE SCREENS ON MY 28 FB BERTRAM APPEAR TO ME TO BE IN BACKWARDS BUT MAYBE ITS ME. THE SCREEN IS ON THE INSIDE TRACK AND THE WINDOW ON THE OUTSIDE TRACK WHICH MEANS EVERYTIME I WANT TO OPEN THE WINDOW I HAVE TO PULL THE SCREEN BACK. SHOULDN'T THE SCREEN BE ON THE OUTSIDE SO WHEN YOU OPEN THE SIDE WINDOWS THE SCREEN IS ALREADY IN PLACE??

2. I HAD THE FLYING BRIDGE COVERED ON THREE SIDES WITH ISINGLASS BUT NOW THE SNAPS ARE PULLING OUT OF THE FIBERGLASS. ONE GUY AT THE MARIANA SAID TO USE A TWO PART APOXY THE PUSH THE THREADED END OF THE SANP IN THE HOLE WHILE THE APPOXY IS STILL SOFT. DOES THAT SOUND RIGHT. I WAS THINKING I HAD TO PUT A BACKER BOARD ON BUT MAYBE NOT.

3. AFTER 3 OR 4 HOURS OF TROLLING MY HOUSEBANK BATTERIES DRAINED AND I LOST MY GPS, VHF AND FM/AM. MY MECHANIC REPLACED MY STARBOARD ALTERNATIOR AND THEN A 8 GA WIRE FROM THE ALTERNATOR DIRECTLY TO THE DEEP CYCLE HOUSEBANK. SOME SAY THATS OK BUT WILL NOT FULLY CHARGE CONSEQUENTLY SHORTENING THE BATTERY LIFE. ANY IMPUT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED
Yannis

Re: WINDOWS, SNAPS AND HOUSEBANK BATTERIES

Post by Yannis »

I can only answer the first one.

Yes, the screen is on the inside. However you don't have to pull the screen to open the window, the window has a stainless handle which you can slide back and open the glass. The screen stays where it was.
Now, if you still want to slide the screen back you can do that too.
I suspect the screen is inside for protection from the salt, had it been outside you'd have to change it every year.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

I concur with Yannis

The snaps? If you epoxy the hole closed, then you could retap the screw that holds the snap in place into the the repaired hole. Honestly I do not know what kind of snaps you are using and some may be different.

I dont use a house bank, I have simplified my system. If I had a house bank battery then you need to make sure it is being charged by the alternator.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

My friends 28 has the screen on the outside. Not sure I like it but that is the way he purchased the boat. Salt does not impact the screen since it some type of material.

As far as the snaps go, if you pull the head liner down can you access the area where the snaps are? They make a snap that has a threaded stud and a screw goes on it. You need two people for this job. One on the outside and one on the inside.

Here is a link to the type I have used. Not sure who made mine but these are Sea Dog.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/sea-dog ... s/299115-1
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

My friends 28 has the screen on the outside.
Tony, it must have been made in October, when the new wine is coming out, those Bertram guys must have mixed a few things up!!
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

3. AFTER 3 OR 4 HOURS OF TROLLING MY HOUSEBANK BATTERIES DRAINED AND I LOST MY GPS, VHF AND FM/AM.

Check your batteries to confirm they are healthy. 3 or 4 hours of GPS, VHF and FM/AM should barely scratch your battery capacity so if they are in good condition something else is going on. They may have been very low charge when you left the dock so if your alternators were not generating any charge at troll speed that would do it.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

That's the way the screen came from the factory. No reason to have the window and screen closed at the same time--it the window is closed, the screen should be back; and when you open the window you close the screen.
The glass on the flybridge is only about 3/16 thick, at best--you need a backer behind the snaps. Unscrew the inner panels and everything is easy to get to.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tooeez,

In the 28 you do not have access into the under the fb area through the cabin.
Only trough the two cabinets on either side of the wheel.
Now, to be able to slide in there, that’s another very interesting story...