Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

neil

Re: Another Winters Project(s)

Post by neil »

Great job
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Hopefully this answer your question(s) Yannis. First of all we made the deck in the Winter of 2001-02. We have fished the boat hard (488 hours last year) and try to not abuse the deck. There are a few gouges and a aftco rod but did the most damage, after port hatch has a plug. They have not been back onboardI Someone collared a yellowfin with no cutting board, they to remain on the dock. Believe your talking about window framing the hatches or their perimeter. Never was a thought at the time. Carver Boat Works, Chris did the cutting of the hatches and for whatever reason at the time, I believe was not a thought. As you see the deck flows as one. In reality it is three sections with a sacrificial board screwed to the inboard stringers. Boat shoes, sneakers, or bare feet. Do not board the boat and jump on a hatch. I’m pretty particular who fishes on the EarleyBird, but then again that is why a 48 year old 31 looks the way she does. Never been painted either. 😊 EarleyBird
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thanks. I guess the 20 year use is an answer to the longevity question.

As for the “window framing of the perimeter”, I have mixed feelings too. If it is too many hatches in a limited space, perhaps it is better to not put them at all, like you did, or it feels too crowded.

One minor point: When I purchased my boat the first thing I changed was these retractable hatch knobs...I just couldn't lift them, I put those round recessed ones with the spring...tricky job and there’s nine of them!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Here is a picture of the new covering boards and transom deck trim piece. Patrick France deserves accolades. A true Craftsman and Professional who busted his butt, cutting, fitting, epoxying, sanding these boards one at a time. Not an easy install. Many thanks to him. This picture does not show the beauty of his work. Thank you! 🙏 EarleyBird

CHolgerson

Post by CHolgerson »

That is a beautiful view. Now all it needs is some gold jewelry and a slob bluefin. Have a great season. I am sure I will see you in the Hudson again.

Chris
Reelcrazy

Post by Reelcrazy »

Jimmy looks really nice. want to see it in person
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

That boat is waaay to pretty to put a bloody fish on the deck. That's a cruising boat now. You're going to have to buy another boat to fish out of.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Well Boys, it’s time to wake up a pair of Cummins six cylinders. They’ve had plenty of rest. Thank you Rick, Chris, Tony, Ray, Bob, Pat, and the rest of you fellas for your accolades, knowledge, input and craftsmanship. The Big Girls are here, I’ll put the finishing touches on her as she floats. Gold jewelry has been ready and I long for that explosion behind the Ol’ Girl. Maybe I’ll get lucky. Til another subject... or Pic. Stay Safe. EarleyBird
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Good hunting. Rumor is they are close to the beach.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

gorgeous
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
John F.

Post by John F. »

Beautiful work
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937