bob lico

bridge chairs

Post by bob lico »

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Re: bridge chairs

Post by bob lico »

this is how i started ,i had to make a template and than cut out the Burmise teak.you have to make custom because you are working with 44 inches width instead of two seats at the normal 24" each so you use one arm between the super confutable chairs.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

there are shock absorbers under each chair and you can stand up and turn around with control levers in your hands .the surporting aluminum support is set back as far as possible actually within 1 inch of over hang to shift the maximum weight you can to aft of main bulkhead to improve boat balance captain and mate weight 230 pounds shifted to aft.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Very nice job!

Excellent utilization of space (sharing the armrest)

They look comfy as heck...
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Incredible work Bob.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Outstanding
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
HotSpot

Post by HotSpot »

So nice, Bob! Beautiful work.
HotSpot - ‘61 25 Sport Convertible - Hull# 25-109
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thank you brothers
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

starboard engine

Post by bob lico »

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/ ... fit=bounds

some of you ask about cool air intakes well here is view of starboard engine installation.K&N air filter is under gunwale, worth some HP and longer life for turbo's.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

Nice work on those helm chairs Bob!

Intake under the gunnel for cool clean air...nice idea.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Carl i use 6" caution tape all over the boat from the main bulkhead back and found the cleanest (no salted air like those hull air intakes) coolest air and it was along the cockpit floor rolling off the sides of the cabin and causing a turbulent right in back of the engine boxes so the air filters are right there under the gunnels out of sight but ambient air is at least 40 degrees cooler than engine box air which equals free HP..
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
John Nardi

Post by John Nardi »

Beautiful work Bob!
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Those are really beautiful Bob. Nice well thought out design of yours!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

rocky that was the first time i ever shaped raw seat foam ,actually easily done with PVC hacksaw blade.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
neil

Post by neil »

Very nice bob
HydroRacer

Post by HydroRacer »

If you are not using a proper foam cutting knife you can get by with a electric steak knife . Remember that the final look of the Vinyl will show what smooth ( or rough) shape is on the foam underneath. I would lay out my foam & bring it to a upholstery shop ( auto , furniture ect.. ) and have them cut it with a proper cutter ( they can't charge you much ) .
Also , lay your final dimension pattern out onto the foam ( do not use pen , it will bleed through eventually to your white Vinyl ) and add 1/2" all around for compression ) . Who is sewing your seats together ? You could also cut the job and bring it to a shop & have them sew it also ( although they will probably hem and haw if when your final look is not what you expect & try and blame the sewing and/or cutting of patterns) . Same process with the patterns ; add 1/2" sewing allowance .

After you get the casings back , trim the extra sewing allowance ( selvage ) away from the final stitch . That way the casing will lay flat & smooth , unlike bobs seats if you look closely . Look at the bumpiness outside his French Stitch ( double, baseball stitch ect...) . That bumpiness would always catch my eye boarding my boat . My old clients would of sent that back .

Good luck & feel free to ask any questions.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

my friend cut out the leatherette and put the french seams in.i cannot even sew a cushion let alone chairs like this . there was quite a discussion on this leather like material a few years ago and i have yet to find the proper name but i can tell you it feels like soft italian leather much like Ferrari interior. i cover it as soon as i dock it to prevent UV damage along with twenty coats of varnish on the teak. Bertram gave away these beautiful beach blankets with large Bertram emblem at a rendezvous .they make a beautiful custom cover for bridge seats. the hardest job was making room in the garage so i started and then made a mans cave to have room to make bridge chairs ,mold for recessed transducer, and now very difficult new inovation for rudder post and rudder bearings.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
HydroRacer

Post by HydroRacer »

In the future, have whoever had sewn the seats not use a double needle walking foot industrial machine . Very few operators can master going around radiuses . If you look closely at your seats you can see where the decorative top stitches are not equidistant to the inverted center seam . The operator uses that center seam as a guide to run the material through . If you get it wrong the decorative topstitching stitching goes off center and is closer ( and wider ) to that center ( inverted ) seam .
You have much better results with telling the shop to use a single needle walking foot machine ( Juki 562 or 563 ) and making 2 passes ; the results are much better and much more controllable ( and takes less skill ) . Double needle machines are just for production work .

summary :
Tell your shop to trim their selvages and to use a single needle machine when doing a French Stitch -

PS - nice lift
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

wow thank you for the helpful information . future project is the engine cover cushions and i will relay this Information to him.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I thought that Perseverance and Ingenuity were difficult to make, but I would never imagine that a boat seat would entail such complexity!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Yannis this is a one off keep it in mind, the only pair in the world ! the sides of the chairs are a copy of release marines bridge chair, the bottom is from Todd chair in Montauk series and the Burmese teak ladder back have blind stainless studs from the front attached to forged aluminum uprights. no bolts or fasteners are exposed anywhere on chairs and bench is my own design in Coosa board 26 bolted to aluminum framework.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Bob, I remember these chairs when you first released the pics some time back.
I hope that by now they are nicely worn-in and that you are happy with them.

Also, for real cars, come to Europe, lol !!!
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Bob, your chairs look as good as the $7K chairs I saw at the Palm Beach Boat Show! Nice work
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

think again !!!!!!!! the corvette C-7 blew the doors off the best of Europe best finishing 1st and 2nd they beat Ferrari,BMW m-25 (on there own track)and at 1 million a piece the factory m-25 were close but the other were Lapped ,this car is the track series (Z0-7 carbon fiber, ceramic brake edition) ------. these chairs are not the ones you seen years ago not even close.those were OEM. Todd Montauk series.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Yannis, how did I know Bob was going to politely
"educate you" the competitive nature of his C-7!
It's true not much touches that C-7 in stock form. If a Tesla could corner, it may have something but it can't, too heavy. Heavy is as heavy does, so to speak. Both cars are beauties Bob. We raced a '80 Vette in ITGT class with the SCCA. Among others. Cornering was it's downfall.
Did NOT want to turn in and frequently swapped ends.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i would not know how to begin to explain a C-7 in grand sport or Z0-6 to the average guy . Alluminum chassis, 8 speed transmission attached to rear differential both electronically controlled, even the dash on track mode is a giant electronic lap counter, lap time, and all the engine parameters like engine and transmission oil temperature.ceramic brakes and 12" wide wheels , seriously a state of the art car if order from factory with track ready options on top of the Grand Sport option a completely differant car then regular corvette .team Ferrari at recent Datona race just looked in dismay with their brand new entry.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Bob,

You posted these very chair pics in August 2019, which is almost two years ago.
I said “sometime back”, and I assumed that by now they are worn-in properly.
You are probably referring to yet older chairs that Im not aware of.

As for the car, you make nice refrigerators with wheels, with a few exceptions, like perhaps this C7 as you call it.
But even this one, or every other so called super car that you make, has nothing to do with the definition of the word car in a dictionary. It resembles a bit in that it has wheels, but thats about it. The rest is to pollute, make noise and crawl in 60 mph zones...
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

LOL!
Yannis it sounds like you take a more conservative approach to getting from point A to B on four wheels. Maybe you can't find the C-7 on the list of definition of "car" because it's a Supercar! Not for the faint of heart when you roll into that pedal.
I did find though, there is a Tesla that does qualify for a Hypercar, a step above a Supercar. Insane numbers, turning a 1:30.3 around Laguna Seca Raceway! The Model S Plaid. I'm now eating my words that a Tesla can't hold a good cornering speed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBjp91zqnn8
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

rocky the sound of that LT -------------- the sound of music i take her up to 150mph on a nearby 4 lane highway.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Better than music. Can't explain it until your right there in it.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

LOL, too !!

I enjoy pulling your leg guys, don't you think for a minute that I intend to make a serious argument here.
I understand how people like Bob, and others, are devoted into machines like these, and the pleasure they derive from them.

Even when they display their exaggeration by saying that even the Ferrari people were dismayed...the Ferrari people who make the most award winning cars in the galaxy...
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

You got me Yannis,
There's that whole typing words and getting misconstrued thing again, instead of body language and real life conversation!
Back to those seats of Bobs now-
So Bruce doesn't move this to hobbies and crafts!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Sure do, Rocky, I hope all is well with you and your boat improvements.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Very cool Bob! I owe you a catch up phone call soon!