A normal day in the Aegean...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Yannis

A normal day in the Aegean...

Post by Yannis »

Last edited by Yannis on Apr 15th, '21, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Rawleigh

Re: A normal day in the Aegean...

Post by Rawleigh »

Bertram weather!!! LOL!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Like Rawleigh said, just have to pull her back a couple hundred and watch the white ones. WooHoo! EarleyBird
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I’d rather sit comfortably in my magnanimous yacht, with good company, sipping my favorite drink and eating my favorite dish. After all, you can’t go out in 8 Beaufort, or you risk it to be your last ride...
After 6 or 7 there is a small craft advisory anyway.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

You call that bad weather. LOL
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
beachbum

Post by beachbum »

Wavelength and wave height the same, not nice at all
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

I used to not be afraid of weather like that (not quite like that but you know what I mean...) I will say every year older I get I seem to gain more respect for things that are potentially dangerous.

Yannis, is that where you do your boating?
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

2006 leaving Durban, South Africa doing 22kts on this ship heading to the East Coast. She was one of eight, 958 feet long (292 meters) I was Chief Engineer on her for 20 years, and was away from home for 4 months.Twin Engine steam turbines 60,000 shp each one. At 125RPM she would top out at 34kts. That night we were in a head sea and the 22 feet in diameter propellers we’re cavitating. Captain slowed her down to 18kts, then 15 it’s. Bilge alarm went off in the Engineroom for #1 Cargo hold, forward of the wheelhouse. Engineer on watch sent a man to investigate carrying a radio and I heard him say there was over 15 feet of water in #1. Shortly later the Chief Mates porthole was blown out. In this picture his stateroom is the double windows under the port side of the Bridge windows 80 feet above the waterline. I went up to #1 hold. When I arrived I could see seawater pouring into #1. If you look forward of the Deck House you can see two fans P&S. They were gone. Captain decided to turn the ship around, go back to Durban for repairs, not going thousands of miles with two 6’ holes in the weather deck and no window where the Mate sleeps. When we turned she ain’t no 31 Bertram I would swear you could of almost walk on the bulkhead (wall). Three times she rolled before it was behind us. That fellas was rough, the worst by far after 30 years of sailing. Don’t think your cocktails and appetizers would of fared to well that night. EarleyBird 😜

Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

After 45 years running offshore my advice it to pick one, use it frequently.

https://www.amazon.com/inversion-table/b?node=3408421
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Nice story. I’ve also heard a few others, equally...destabilizing! We have a lot of seafarers in Greece, sit down with them over some wine and you’ll hear a lot...pick a subject: bad weather, women, port stories, contraband, you name it...

Frank, yes, only I wait for it to calm down a bit. In the summer it’s rare to be full calm though. In the winter too !
Rick, good advice, I’ll pick one and start practicing. A washing machine is equally effective too !
Mike, I hadn't thought of that, but if you say so...!