Trailering a B31

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Captain Decent

Trailering a B31

Post by Captain Decent »

Hey guys, new to the community. I am a future B31 owner as we have our hearts set on buying a B31 and are actively shopping.

I am a long time boat owner having owned 6 boats between 18 and 30 feet. All have been outboard powered and lived on trailers. My last boat was a 30ft Grady white marlin with a 10-1/2ft beam. I trailered that boat regularly without concern once I setup a trailer properly for it. This boat weighs in the mid teens with the trailer. From what I’ve gathered, the B31 weighs in pretty close to that, is that correct?

I guess my question is, can the B31 reasonably be setup to be a trailer boat? I live in Washington, where our fishing and fishing regulation require mobility in order to fish. You need to be able to switch ports quickly and frequently to adapt to where the fish are and the season is open. Few people trailer the GW marlin and even fewer trailer the B31. Am I delusional to think this will work out?

Of course I will be running electric over hydraulic, triple axle HD trailer and my tow rig is a 2012 F250 6.7 diesel.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: Trailering a B31

Post by mike ohlstein »

Welcome to the sandbox.

The two issues that you're likely to encounter are height and width. At a beam of 11'2", you're oversized. I think that over 12' is the requirement for pilot vehicles so you're ok there, but most states require permits for anything over 8.5' wide.

The height is the height, and if you have no low bridges or power lines to contend with, you're ok.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Donmystic1

Post by Donmystic1 »

You also may have an issue with the exposed props hanging down at shallower launch ramps
devinfox

Post by devinfox »

I have the same concerns Capt, I have the exact same tow rig as you and I know its capable, but I had to get a bond for the state of Texas DOT and will file for a permit every time I want to move it Legally. I havevn't pulled it yet, but the day is fast approaching. My worries are both the props and rudders. I have removed the props but I may also pull the rudders before I move her. I would love to hear from anyone who has trailered one about the props and rudders.
Devin
31 Bahia Mar
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

I met a fellow B31 site member out in Honolulu several years back and he had his beautiful yellow hulled B31 in his driveway on a trailer. He was obviously not driving too far, but he did trailer up some pretty steep hills and launch it at the local boat launches without issues with the running gear. I'm guessing that the pitch and quality of the boat launch will determine how easily you can launch and pick up a 31 on a trailer.
Ernie Sandoval

Post by Ernie Sandoval »

Capt Decent, I just trailered a B31 from Miami to Phoenix in October. I might be able to shed some light on a few of your questions. Everyone so far has been right on about what the issues might be. It is a big boat! I too have owned and trailered a Grady 30 Marlin with open array radar on the hardtop. It was high at 13’. The B31 is a little different than the Grady because the Grady held most of its beam way up high in the bow flair. The B31 is shaped like an egg and has the beam throughout the side it seems to me. The Marlin was up high away from the cars and mailboxes but the B31 is right in it. Towing with outboards is just way easier. The running gear is the I ssue on the B31 but can probably be worked out so you don’t have to remove the props. That’s going to require taller bunks. That will effect your height obviously and would depend on your hard/soft top situation. To the top of my helm chair it was roughly 12’4”. That would give you some wiggle room on bunks. The other problem with tall bunks is ramp slope. In the Florida keys you couldn’t get the boat deep enough to launch unless you had a very long trailer tongue or were willing to sink the back of your truck in saltwater. I wouldn’t care for that personally so I had very low bunks and a long tongue. That worked perfect with outboards. I split the difference with the new trailer I had made and it worked fine with the props off. I’d bet money they (props) would have made ground contact somewhere on the journey if I would have left them on. The rudders never hit a thing and I went into some pretty steep aparons entering unfamiliar gas stations. No road rash either. You can probably assume over 2500 miles if they were going to hit something they would have!? That rudder height if probably fairly vetted in my mind. I wouldn’t hesitate to drive a few miles on a familiar road with the props on but no way would I go a huge distance over unfamiliar road. Too risky. My boat had to be the heaviest B31 on the planet when I towed it! It has heavy cats, gen, air, tons of parts and full fuel. I couldn’t get the diesel off before I left and had to just go with it. I know! I had the boat weighed at the CAT Scales and it weighed 17,380 on the trailer. You would be well under that but at least you have a REAL number worst case scenario. If you want to do it, it can be done for sure! All it will take is a little forethought. Hope this helps.

Ernie Sandoval
86’ 31 Bertram-BERGAG23D686
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

If you purchase a Bahia Mar you can eliminate some of the height issues. As far as launching that is a whole other issue.

I wonder if a hydraulic trailer that you could raise and lower would help you?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Waytooslow

Post by Waytooslow »

Or do like the Supra ski boat trailers--put a basket underneath to protect the props. I think you could build one out of steel easy enough. I have a steep driveway and put caster wheels under mine to roll instead of scraping. Occasionally if the tires came off the ground the trailer would go sideways on the casters backing into the driveway--fun! Now the RV people have frame rollers that are strong enough to use instead of caster wheels.
1963 B-25 Project (in process)
Atl. GA
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

I have an F250 Superduty with air bags for extra lift, heavy tow package. We have an express and was considering trailering myself as we've hauled a lot with this truck - but with a good trailer, I am not comfortable saying the truck is big enough with high enough GCVWR when including weight of boat/fuel/trailer/truck and everything in truck, including people. It will pull it and stop it if you're careful, but if someone runs in front of you and you're unable to stop, or something else beyond your control goes wrong, you may not be able to control it and you may be liable if you've exceeded legal towing parameters, with an insurance company balking at coverage. In the end, we decided to pay a professional with hydraulic trailer to trailer ours several times a year. Others have towed 31's, it can be done, just make sure you have the right tow rig and trailer. Here's a link to a good overview on how to do it. https://www.bertram31.com/specs/index.html
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
1964 Bertram 31 Soft Top Express
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Keith Poe trailers his 31 in California all the time. Maybe he will chime in or you can PM him.
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Captain Decent

Post by Captain Decent »

Thanks for the replies. Sure seems possible with a well setup trailer. I am still working on picking out the right one. Dang these things are pricey! I think I’ll pay to have it brought to me but after that I’m going to have to be self sufficient and get a trailer setup.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

keith

Does not jump on the board that often so if you want to touch base with him PM's work well, and for the new guys, Keith is the guy on Shark Week with the 31.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

I have a 28 FBC and tow it with a 2006 F-350 dually. I got my trailer from ABT Trailers - Alex is on the board here sometimes and has B31 trailers down pat. I have launched from my trailer, but never retrieved… I usually sling it in at a marina. I move the boat from Sacramento to Powell River BC and have no problems getting on/off the ferries, etc. The 28 is the same physical size as a 31, if that helps any.

John
WAC

Post by WAC »

I will be picking up my trailer from Alex at ABTrailers this week. 18,000 lb tri-axle custom built for my 31. Alex is a good guy to work with and builds a nice unit.
I spoke with Keith Poe a while back which led me to Alex. Keith tows his 31 everywhere but removes the props when he does so. He stores it at his house so I would say he has it down as good as anyone.
You must have an oversize permit max width 12', max height 14' in CA. The Cal trans site lists all areas with any bridges below 14'. Pretty slick deal to keep you out of trouble.
Excited to see how it goes as this will allow work to be done at any time and affordably as I can move it to my warehouse to do so.
See the attached pics of my trailer at last weeks Fred Hall show in Long Beach at the ABTrailers booth.
https://imgur.com/wn0DZaK
https://imgur.com/UAFke9S
https://imgur.com/46YgCtj

Wayne
Wayne Copeland
1972 Bertram 31 Flybridge Cruiser
1983 Boston Whaler Montauk
Project addict...
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I don’t know about the 31 but the 28 is strakes all over the bottom. Special care shall be given in the design phase of the trailer so that these strakes remain intact, as they most probably cannot support the weight of the boat as they are hollow. When I pull out on the yard’s trailer, they place the boat slightly leaning to the left or to the right so that it clears the strakes.

Ps: nice Albin 28 on the tv screen
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Resinhead

Post by Resinhead »

Any concerns with the B31 about storing on a trailer?
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Yes there are concerns as Yannis pointed out one with the strakes, but also must have keel, or near keel support for long term. Take notes on Alex's ABT Trailer Wayne posted. Hull is supported on key areas of hull especially near keel as well as missing any strakes where she is supported.
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

I would say if keeping it on a trailer then it absolutely needs keel support.

Think of it like winter storage. The jack stands keep the boat from falling over (side to side) The blocks under the keel support the majority of the weight.

I would think the trailer would need to be the same concept. The hydraulic trailers with the sliding keel block would probably work for you. The have hydraulic arms that go up and down and also have screw jacks that can support the sides as well.

A trailer something like that would probably suffice
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Resinhead

Post by Resinhead »

WAC wrote: Mar 12th, '19, 11:51 I will be picking up my trailer from Alex at ABTrailers this week. 18,000 lb tri-axle custom built for my 31. Alex is a good guy to work with and builds a nice unit.
I spoke with Keith Poe a while back which led me to Alex. Keith tows his 31 everywhere but removes the props when he does so. He stores it at his house so I would say he has it down as good as anyone.
You must have an oversize permit max width 12', max height 14' in CA. The Cal trans site lists all areas with any bridges below 14'. Pretty slick deal to keep you out of trouble.
Excited to see how it goes as this will allow work to be done at any time and affordably as I can move it to my warehouse to do so.
See the attached pics of my trailer at last weeks Fred Hall show in Long Beach at the ABTrailers booth.
https://imgur.com/wn0DZaK
https://imgur.com/UAFke9S
https://imgur.com/46YgCtj

Wayne
Would you share what you paid for the trailer?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I have not seen Wayne post in a while.

I would give Alex Whitaker a call. He is at Bertram 31 Specialties. You can take a look at his website. He is moving away from parts for the 31 to mostly trailers.

Alex is great wealth of knowledge and loves to talk Bertrams.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Chanse

Post by Chanse »

[Image][/img]
Dam the traffic, to the ramp for a days fishing!
Resinhead

Post by Resinhead »

That's an amazing photo.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

This indeed beautiful picture has always been a mystery to me.

We are seeing a Volvo Amazon, that under no circumstances could have a towing capacity of more than 1200-1500 pounds, pulling a 6+ ton boat/trailer combo. How is that even possible?
Unless it’s a Volvo commercial, but still, it would be misleading...beats me!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

Capt. Pat always says that the 31 towed easily, but you are right it is a heavy load to haul. I think that is just a set up for an old ad or commercial.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315