Bleeding Hynautics steering

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Cturtle

Bleeding Hynautics steering

Post by Cturtle »

Went over to the today. Turned the two 1/2" nuts for the purging lines. On my boat these were not located on the Reservoir as some diagrams showed but instead they were located on the starboard bulkhead with easy access by removing the starboard hatch cover in the stern. Once they were loosened i used an Air Hawk tire inflator set to 45 lbs of air. The Air Hawk was so much easier than a bicycle pump. i started at the flying bridge and was able to wiggle myself in thru the small access hatch where I could reach the three lines mounted behind the steering column. On two of the lines fluid came out almost immediately but one line had more air than the others. I started turning the FB Steering wheel and could see the steering linkage turning, which it didn't do the other day. I tightened the purging nuts down and had steering at both helms. I didn't do the 60 turns in each directions so I hope that doesn't come back to bite me. I realize that the amount of air to purge the system is much higher than the normal operating pressure but what is the normal pressure. I've read 15-20 psi others say they maintain their system at 30-35 psi etc. Any advice??
Tony Meola

Re: Bleeding Hynautics steering

Post by Tony Meola »

Doug

We did my friends last year, I believe he had his at 25 lbs. But his bleed valves where on the steering cylinder.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
THESALTYSATO

Re: Bleeding Hynautics steering

Post by THESALTYSATO »

Doug I see you are having some steering issues. I am not very mechanical but if you need some assistance and another set of hands I have a lot of experience at being told what to do.
Give me a call.
john