ilwaco WA

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Todd Pearce

ilwaco WA

Post by Todd Pearce »

hi is there any of the faithful in or close to ilwaco wa, i may need someone to put there eyes on a boat that i am thinking of buying
i am more than happy to pay someone for the time and any expenses
thanks Todd
Rocket

Re: ilwaco WA

Post by Rocket »

Due to Covid restrictions, I cannot travel there as it is across an international border even though I am a 5 hour drive away. Maybe one of the Seattle Faithful will chime in! It would be a fun roadtrip, never been to that area, but have always wanted to.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Rocket,

The way you’re saying “...although I’m a 5 hour drive away” is inconceivable to us!
You make it seem like it’s a feasible ride...for us it’s a ride soooo long, that reaches the opposite geographical extreme of the country! No one in their right minds could even attempt such a service, it’s like I said, inconceivable.

Oh, and for some other smaller countries, a 5 hour trip will certainly lead you to another country, but not necessarily the one adjacent to yours, rather the one beyond that!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

Given the way they drive in Europe, your five hour drive is more like an 8 hour drive for us in the States. We stay under 100 MPH.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Every summer, I put my 20' Bertram Baron on the trailer and drive from my home to my cottage. On the road we are 26 hours and we usually do it over 2 days. We stop every 5 hours for fuel, food and a bathroom break. The kids know the rules by now... I would happily drive 5 hours each way to check out a boat! It better be a good one though!
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

Rocket, iam just waiting to get some shipping qoutes before i get to serious about it, but hears the story anyway, I have a B42 , which i seriously over capitalised , but shes beautiful, took me 5 years but shes mint in all regards,, and i love her, been out watching the americas cup and enjoying summer at great barrier Island and had a lot of people comment on the boat, that said we are a family of 5 and a bigger boat could be nice,and the boat iam interested in ,in Ilwaco, is actually a New Zealand built boat , built by salthouse boat builders, these guys were the flagship/rolls royce boat builders in new zealand for generations, the boat is a salthouse sovereign 60 , shes only done 450 hrs with twin cats and was built to Lloyd's specs and is a very popular boat here in NZ ,listed on yacht world for all to see , so its no secret, i was on my B42 today, and iam really not sure i could part with her, 7 years on shes part of the family,
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Yannis wrote: Jan 31st, '21, 17:25 Rocket,

The way you’re saying “...although I’m a 5 hour drive away” is inconceivable to us!
You make it seem like it’s a feasible ride...for us it’s a ride soooo long, that reaches the opposite geographical extreme of the country! No one in their right minds could even attempt such a service, it’s like I said, inconceivable.

Oh, and for some other smaller countries, a 5 hour trip will certainly lead you to another country, but not necessarily the one adjacent to yours, rather the one beyond that!
This is so funny, Yannis! About twice a month I do 6 hours each way to North Carolina. roughly 20 k miles per year. Get up, work all day, load the truck, drive, drive, drive through the night. I've been doing it for 15 years. I'd like to stop this...soon!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Cam,

The only people who I know do that, are professional truck drivers...and even them are subject to legal maxima!
Never heard of a ...normal person need to drive for so long. Unless it’s a one-off trip for a specific reason.
Like a once a year commute to a vacation spot. But even that it’s been a long time I haven't heard, ever since the invention of car rentals and aeroplanes, you know, those things with wings!
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

5hrs ride - not bad

my family's camp in Maine is 6hrs - we go up a few times a year.

heck - when I bought my Bertram, it was in Waukegan, IL which is just north of Chicago. I packed up the truck, hooked up my trailer and left Massachusetts at 9pm, we got in to Chicago early in the morning, got the boat put on the trailer and prepped, ready to go and went to a hotel and crashed. We woke up at 6am and drove back to MA the next day getting home for 8pm.

google maps says 985 miles each way, the way out wasn't bad running at 70+ with an unloaded trailer, the way back at 55mph was no fun.
Carl

Post by Carl »

We did Disney a few years ago, two days down and one long one coming back, 1000 miles each way. We spent a whole three days there. National shooting matches in Ohio was 900 mile drive. When we wanted to try Maryland Crabs it was three couples in a pickup for a 6 hour ride to eat crabs...and two of them had no intention of eating them. That one may not count as it was a long weekend.
My buddy moved to Las Vegas, drove his car there, flew back and when his business was sold he packed up a moving van then he drove that out with his wife following in her car...long ride at 2,200 miles...

What's my point...not sure I have one aside from maybe road trips are fun.
Bob Patton
Standing Member

Post by Bob Patton »

Todd,
We have a family home in Ocean Park, 11 miles up the peninsula from Ilwaco and drive through Ilwaco to get there. I am in northern California, but my sister and Brother in law will be there next week end. I'm sure he would love to look at the boat for you. Do you have a list of questions? Do you want pictures? I looked at a 31 a couple of years ago that was in the harbor. It had Volvos and a windowless bulkhead I think. I thought the price then was reasonable. Let me know what you want my brother in law to do. Post the info, email me, or call me at (530)331-0014. bpatton@sisqtel.net. I guess the phone call would be a bit expensive, so you have 2 choices.
Bob
Bob Patton
Bob Patton
Standing Member

Post by Bob Patton »

Todd,
I just read your second post (like I should have done in the beginning) but the offer still goes.
Bob Patton
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Sounds like we have a lot of road trip folks here. Yannis, I live on the Texas coast (SE part of the state) and I grew up in the Texas panhandle (NW part of the state). When the kids were little we’d routinely drive 12 hours straight through one way to see the grandparents….and never leave the state!

One side benefit was that my kids never did the “are we THERE yet!!” routine. They knew to buckle up and put their head on a pillow, because it was going to be a long ride.

I like the Florida Keys and while I usually fly, we drive over there every year or so. 24 hours behind the wheel, no matter how you slice it. Sometimes we get a room half way, other times we’ll drive straight through swapping out drivers and stopping to gas up and use the rest room. I love road trips but that one is a bit much, even for me. Been doing that off and on for 20+ years, but it gets tougher as I get older.

I’m going to pull a 19’ boat over to the Keys this spring. I was thinking that was crazy, but if Rocket can knock out a 26 hr trip pulling a boat every summer I don’t feel so insane about my little 24 hr run now.

Todd,

If I remember right you posted some pictures of your 42 a couple(?) years ago. That’s a sweet ride, good luck if you go for the larger boat, but that 42 seems like a heck of a ride.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

[img]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... type=3[img]

I don’t think i’ve done this right, but i don’t always just tow one boat, there are 4 in this picture. A Bertram, a 14’ Hourston, a 29er and an Optimist Dinghy.
Last edited by Rocket on Feb 3rd, '21, 16:22, edited 2 times in total.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Todd

Didn't you pick up that 42 here in the States?

Yannis

You have not lived until you have done a long road trip.

College was an 8 hour drive one way.

Spring break in college 24 hours to Ft. Lauderdale, 6 guys in a 66 Ford LTD. 24 Hours Back to College.

Americans love Road Trips and our cars. Nothing like hearing the sound of American Muscle roaring down the street.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

yes team i did pick the boat up out of Mobile AL,it was a train wreck and its now a beautiful example of what TIME , MONEY ,graet advice from the faithful, and ENDLESS hours can achieve , its been a 7 year labor of love sweat and tears and if i new how id bombard you with photos ,IN FACT i think ill try just that!! stand by!!
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

C:\Users\Todd\Documents\Bertram42 ss.pptx

ok i hope this works, its not in time order , but you guys will get it ,
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

sorry, ill try again
Last edited by Todd Pearce on Feb 2nd, '21, 02:43, edited 1 time in total.
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Todd,

If I had done and spent just 10% of my time and money on that boat, I would NEVER let it go.
The amount of work, let alone the expenditure, is phenomenal.
As I was watching the pics, I was trying to locate just ONE spot that hasn't been improved or changed...
I also saw the other boat you're thinking to buy, and apart from the roomier bridge, I couldn't see a reason why the B42 is inferior.
I have spent quite some time on a 42 in my younger years which belonged to the family of a buddy.
No matter how many we were, we always found a spot to sleep, the last one, after all cabins, flybridge and deck were exhausted, would find refuge on the surface below the front salon windows...
Kids grow and eventually leave, so a family of 5 soon becomes a family of two again, plus friends.
Congratulations on the coquilles St. Jaques cooking recipe as well as the gorgonzola looking cheese plateau. About the wine I will comment in a later message haha!!
Carl

Post by Carl »

20 knot cruise at 30gph seems incredible. How are the boats in seas?

The work you did to the Bertram...wow.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Great slide show. Boat looks great and I can see you are enjoying it!
Last edited by CamB25 on Feb 3rd, '21, 07:19, edited 1 time in total.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Todd

Perfect. That was great work. She is better than new. Great sea boat also. That one would be tough to sell. Can't believe you had the patience to wait 7 years. Seems like yesterday you were looking for her.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Todd

Epic slide show. That is one beautiful B42. Glad to see you enjoying it after all that work.

Good luck on the boat search.
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

Thanks to all for the very kind compliments on the boat,
Tony, i didnt actually wait 7 years, because winter is 7-8 months of the year, we would use the boat for 5 months over summer then work on it over the winter, so i did it in stages, first the Mechanical and electrical so i knew she was reliable , then round one of interior which was really just roof linings and stripping the varnish work back to bear, theres a great story in that, , then we sat and used it a bit, then i got all inspired again and did round 2-3 of the interior , but this time i really lost the plot and went all in, , then we ran it for over a year through winter because we fitted a webasto diesel heater ,vented to every room, and oh my god ,that opened up a whole new world of boating, shorts and tee shirts all day and all night,, our winter boating is just amazing because its so calm n still and its not really that cold during the days but the nights and very cold, then we looked around at other boats to go up to, and decided on balance that we were better of with the boat we had alraedy rebuild , so the i lost all sensibility and pulled the tower and it was roller coaster ride from there into the abyss of not knowing where to stop mixed with my desire for the best, so i exercised zero digression and lost completely any idea of where the line should have been drawn, there`s actually so many great stories about the obsession , to may to list but ill give two
!) The Varnish in the boat was near black, everyone told me it was a waste of time and to re veneer etc, i posted here for recommendations but nothing really worked, then i remembered a NZ product designed to strip wood paneled rooms, mostly Veneers, so the looked at there web site , hmmm to good to be true,, but brought a sample , and holly shit it actually worked , incredible system , now people ask me if its all brand new and cant believe it when i tell the its original, ( check out " Coppers wood stripper, ) I`ll gladly send a sample to anyone who is willing to review it for the faithful, I`d really like to share this one because its a life saver, no sanding required, easy and fast, but above all else it actually works, ps i have no affiliation to them at all
2 ) I wanted something really original and different for the flybridge seating, looking on pinterest i spotted a Spencer 80 with this beautiful material for its mezzanine seating and i just had to have it!!, so i phoned Spencer Yachts, they referred me to Carol at C- Worthy,FL , who informed me that it was a custom run ,that was no longer available, heartbroken ,i was just about to hang up and asked if shed had any left over, she relied"yes but only a small amount , about Nine yards, so i struck a deal with her and had her ship it to me and i absolutely love it , i could just about write a book on all the things i obsessed over LOL
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Todd,

You did a great job on your B42. A guy wants to give me one but it is not in quite as bad a shape as Maximus was but close. I just don't know if I'm up to the job!
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Todd

The 42 is a great Sea Boat. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

You have a great boat and are looking to move up to another one, so you will be happy either way.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

Cheers tony, i keep thinking about a B510 as well, cant shake the bertram thing

Ironworks, i can say that even if you get given the boat, its so expensive to do anything on these old boats that its really hard to justify the money, For the same money that my boat actually owes me i could easliy own a modern turn key boat, ive spent well north of 500k ( approx 360 USD ) getting where i am, and you`d easily buy a B510 for that, My advice Dont do it unless you have no other option and or can live with the Boat almost as is , Dont get me wrong the B42 is a great boat and they are built like a fkn tank, in fact i can tell you i have had absolutely no structural issues at all, just cosmetic, and the spend on the boat is completely EGO DRIVEN, its still a B42, just the prettiest one you`ve ever seen, LOL i do love it , but with 3 teenage kids and there friends,it would be nice to have a little more room
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

I hear you! I'm figuring at least I'd have to put $200K into the boat and it would likely then be worth about $60K.

My hats off to you for bring the old girl back to life.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Todd

If you want another project, I would skip the 51 and find a 54. That 54 was one hell of a boat. Would run through anything. I had read that Bertram considered it the best hull they ever made.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

Tony, i hadnt thought of a 54 , good idea ill do some reserch, not sure i want to do another one, very ' all consuming' might be cheaper to buy a modern boat rather than getting a divorce
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

tony, i went online and stared looking at 54s, i very quickly felt ILL, oh the photos reminded me of everything that has to be done to these old boats, i dont think i could go there again, just to much work , to many hours , to much time in the shed instead of boating with the family, i literally felt physically ill just looking at them, LOL
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

tony, i went online and stared looking at 54s, i very quickly felt ILL, oh the photos reminded me of everything that has to be done to these old boats, i dont think i could go there again, just to much work , to many hours , to much time in the shed instead of boating with the family, i literally felt physically ill just looking at them, LOL
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Todd,

I have a friend who has a 54 in mint condition. He has a captain onboard who came from the merchant marine, there is nothing in this boat that is less than perfect condition. I don't know if he wants to sell but if he does you will want to start looking for ships doing the Pireaus-NZ trip...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Todd

I know the feeling. But thought I would throw it out there. If I had unlimited funds, an old 54 would be the way to go. Custom it all the way. But then, I have yet to win the lottery.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315