Gauges

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

wgiarratana

Gauges

Post by wgiarratana »

Happy New Year all, want to replace all my gauges on my 28 other then crawling behind the dash is there an easier way to get them out? Is it possible to remove the helm panel from the front? Thanks for any input Bill
Tony Meola

Re: Gauges

Post by Tony Meola »

I have not stuck my head under the panel of a 28, but I am sure it is like the 31. If you get under there for about 10 minutes you will see 4 to 6 brackets holding the panel in. Loose the nuts and out the panel comes.

Then you can work on it while it lays up top on the bridge. Then put it in and neatly run the wire so the extra foot or two of wire you have is neat.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

If I were to redo-it, I’d definitely cut the under the helm surface, all the angle until my feet, so it falls/opens out. I’d put hinges so it opens whenever I want to check things. Instead of needing a monkey to go through the little side doors.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

Don't need a monkey, get a friends kid to slide in there for 5 bucks and a soda.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony, who would believe it, Im having a hard time to convince my son and his friends to come on a boat ride.
They prefer to not have to be asked around to do ropes and anchors and stuff.
Lazy generation that grew up around a telephone screen...
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

Kids and technology (phones, tablets, game stations).....don't get me started!!
1971 31' Bahia Mar hull# 316-1035
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

We should stssrt a bet to see whivvh cvountry has the most messed up kids.

Years ago when the Sony walkman first came out a friend of mine said it was a plot by the Japanese to take over the country. He was close, it turns out it will be China with all these smart phones.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
kross1

Post by kross1 »

I replaced my gauges on my 28. The first year I replaced what had to be done through a hole in the top of the dash.
The second year I pulled the wheel and dash.Just take a lot of pictures from all angles and label everything.
B28 "NINA PETER SANTA MARIA"
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Im jealous for the shiny gear and gas boxes and levers, as well as the new knobs...
If you see mine, you'd think they ventured in Viet Nam...
kross1

Post by kross1 »

Yannis
Believe it or not when I got the boat there were 4 new shift levers in one of the draws. The shift and gas boxes I polished on my buffer.
wgiarratana

Post by wgiarratana »

Thank you Kroos1 for the pics gonna try your route and pull the helm wheel the only difference looks to be my steering fill is behind the wheel not sure what how that will work but I will give it a try vs being the monkey under the helm I almost can fit threw the doors thanks again.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I highly reccomend making the leads longer so yo can pull the dash out to work on it.

It was one of the big reasons I rewired the boat the 1st time. I did one side, my buddy did the other...one side was not long enough. But as it was rewired I did not have to get back there again for a good while. But when I did I was not a happy camper.

On a good note, in my boat I can get to the back of the guage panel from the head. Just pull down two panels and I can get right under it while standing. Down side is the problem always seemed to be at the sides of the panel where I cannot easily see or reach. With the conversion I made the wires longer.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl,

I froze for a while, trying to think how on earth the head area could somehow connect behind the panel on the bridge and then I remembered you have an express. Ooooh that was misleading LOL !!
Tavis

Post by Tavis »

Did you guys go with pre-made panels when you did the gauges, or order gauges A la carte?
kross1

Post by kross1 »

Tavis
I bought my gauges à la cart because I replace the ones that weren’t working one year and then I did the panel the second year.
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

I spent an awful lot of time under that panel a few months ago when I upgraded the electronics and had to run new accessory supply wires. In my opinion there is not enough slack in the gauge wires to allow the panel to be pulled far enough out to disconnect everything from the front--the harness goes across that fixed piece in the center the helm mounts to. Also, depending on how your helm was installed, the mounting hardware might only be reachable from the rear.
I was able to remove my compass and reach some areas from there.
There is a surprising amount of room under the bridge, once you figure out the best way to get in and out. If you can fit through the doors you can actually turn around under there.