Pondering on selling boat

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

lobo

Pondering on selling boat

Post by lobo »

Hi all, have been off the board for a while. had to set it up again. Still in U.V's debt for his knowledge at the time of my repower. I wanted to put the question out there to the most who know best on the subject. Was pondering the idea of selling my boat . It is a 76 FBC. with Cummins 270's remans with 1200 hours. The repower was done by Chris Carver at Carver boat works. Engine beds, stringers, bulkheads were all done. Tower power hard top, Fiberglass tank, glass deck, new rub rail auto pilot, the usual goodies and more . Interior is original . Capt.Pats rudders, 4blade wheels . What do you guys think its worth ? Ballpark, thanks in advance. Merry Christmas and happy holidays
scenarioL113

Re: Pondering on selling boat

Post by scenarioL113 »

What they list for on the internet and what they are actually getting are 2 different things...

I have been looking and will keep an eye out on this one. I am kind of in the market looking but I am not trigger happy either. Timing at moment is not perfect but that is my problem.

There are a few very nice diesel boats with very recent low hour repowers/rebuilds that have been listed for months and months in the 80K range and have had to drop their prices significantly and are still listed...(now in the 50k range)

I have also seen many many other ones listed in the 120k to 200k range and I think that is laughable. (I hope noone gets insulted...) I know they got the $$$ into them but that is not gonna happen. Not in my opinion anyway. There are a few boats that "may" get those high numbers but they are not currently for sale.

That is my .02 and truthfully I am the type of guy who will pay a few sheckles more if I see something that I really want and like.

The money is in the iron

Good luck
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Pricing is all over the place, but if shows good, I would think between 60 and 70. If she does not show well then closer to 40.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

It’s worth more than you can sell it for.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
HotSpot

Post by HotSpot »

PeterPalmieri wrote: Dec 21st, '20, 21:52 It’s worth more than you can sell it for.
Well said. A fitting aphorism for all classic Bertram.
HotSpot - ‘61 25 Sport Convertible - Hull# 25-109
lobo

Post by lobo »

Thanks for the replies, I only like one .lol. I agree with you Peter, it's worth more then I could get for it. My pondering is over, looks like I'll own her for a while longer. Moving out of Jersey and I guess the ol girl will be heading back to her birth place . Really want I wanted anyway, thanks for reality check Peter ! Happy Holidays
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I’m still pondering a move to the 270s and it’s not as much an investment I’ll get back but a boat I’d keep forever if I do.

Merry Christmas.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
lobo

Post by lobo »

I had the repower done 10 years ago . I did a lot of the grunt work and Carvers in Point Pleasant N J did the work. I believe he told me it was his 12th 31 repower . I mu st say, I have had 0 problems with these engines . Overnite canyon trip, 100 nm. 1 way burn 160 gal. Not a bad thing to say about them.Good luck with your repower.Keeping mine ! lol
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Good Choice.

I have the 270's also. Bullet proof engines. Mine was done 10 years ago also. I believe John Jackson had his done just before you. He is probably going on 13 or 14 years with the 270's. Unfortunately he has not posted in a while.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
lobo

Post by lobo »

Hi Tony, yes you are correct. John has his done year before i did . HMS HOUND was the name .Haven't seen John in a while. Best engines for repower in my opinion . As UV use to say, the money is in the iron, so true !
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

most of the people on this board are influence by magazines, boat show salesman and the more people who fall under a trend the more reality is ignored.have you ever driven 1000 boats? after a while you will not be the least bit concern how many drink holders the boat has, but most important a 35' yellowfin center console with triple 350hp yamaha . wot of 60mph WHO gives a flying fu-k it could not get on plane after the ocean kicked up to 6 to 7footers shark fishing.came home at 6mph my 31 Bertram would have no problem what so ever getting up and then pull throttles to 18 mph bow proud and for $357,000 dollars compare to the above boat in the post you can go down below and make a pot of coffee for $ 50,000 . this is reality.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

bob lico wrote: Dec 23rd, '20, 10:17 most of the people on this board are influence by magazines, boat show salesman and the more people who fall under a trend the more reality is ignored.have you ever driven 1000 boats? after a while you will not be the least bit concern how many drink holders the boat has, but most important a 35' yellowfin center console with triple 350hp yamaha . wot of 60mph WHO gives a flying fu-k it could not get on plane after the ocean kicked up to 6 to 7footers shark fishing.came home at 6mph my 31 Bertram would have no problem what so ever getting up and then pull throttles to 18 mph bow proud and for $357,000 dollars compare to the above boat in the post you can go down below and make a pot of coffee for $ 50,000 . this is reality.
But Bob, Do you have a stripper pole on the front of your B31? Virtually every YF in S. Florida has one! Those stripper poles must be worth at least 20K.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

bob lico wrote: Dec 23rd, '20, 10:17 most of the people on this board are influence by magazines, boat show salesman and the more people who fall under a trend the more reality is ignored.
Dead wrong on this one Bob - couldn't be more wrong or insulting for that matter.
Merry Christmas.
Stephan

Possunt quia posse videntur
Carl

Post by Carl »

...nobody ever cares about the drink holders, till you have to put your drink down.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

stephan how wrong can i be with a 30' center console with twin 300 hp Verado`s . i have posted photos in the past went thru twin 200hp than twin 250 hp now twin 300hp. cold and wet and getting beat up -----------lovely but at 74yo not to good.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

I think he is referring to your saying "those on this board".
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

bob lico wrote: Dec 23rd, '20, 10:17 most of the people on this board are influence by magazines, boat show salesman and the more people who fall under a trend the more reality is ignored

That is what Bob Said, but I choose to ignore the On This Board section as I know that Bob knows we are of similar mind in our choice of boats...simply as this is a Bertram 31 Forum, a large portion of us have 31 Bertrams, others with similar Classic Sportfish style boats.

I think the point that was trying to be made is most people look at whats trendy over what gets you out and back to the dock on the less then friendly weather boating days. That can be seen just by walking into most marina's or going to boat shows or paging through boating magazines.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Carl you are exactly right i should say trendy for people who really don't know better or perhaps will use boat in a like or calm waters but by the nature of the forum title we can assume everybody on this board DOES no the forest from the trees.i used to whisper under my breath (so wrong) as a women dressed to the hilt with heels on gets into a 35' everglades center console for test ride with salesman. $357,000 plus tax and no place to put my make up on!!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

We rage against the dying of the light. Bob Lico's comments are spot on when viewed through his lens, which is 50 miles offshore. The newer boats are designed for newer generations which use them differently, in many cases not much at all after the first burst of activity. I was talking with a business associate a couple years ago and boats came up. He had a boat he said, kept at Long Beach Marina. Did he use it much I asked? All the time he said. When they went to the marina for dinner they would go down to the boat first and smoke a joint. The boat hadn't left the marina in a couple years.

So, if we don't like it as it is do what our boats are meant to do--go out, way out or in my case way north. All these bay boats will drop away and things will be once again as they should.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820