Reverse gear removal

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Donmystic1

Reverse gear removal

Post by Donmystic1 »

I have a 1986 28 Bertram flybridge with 5.7 motors and Borg Warner gears 1-5-1.
The tail shaft on the starboard tranny is leaking trans fluid in large amounts.
Has anyone pulled the entire gear off the engine w/o removing the engine.
If so how did you accomplish the removal.
At the very least it looks like I have to remove the shaft coupling the get 3 or 4 inches behind the trans. to remove the gear from the bell housing and begin to tilt it upwards and out.
I realize the the engine will need to be blocked or supported as the rear motor mounts are on the reverse gear.
I have a rebuilt gear ready to reinstall after the bad one is removed
Any ideas or input is appreciated..
Carl

Re: Reverse gear removal

Post by Carl »

I have not done in a 28, but changed them in the 31. Went from 1:1 to 1-1/2:1, the reverse gear adding some length made the job a bit more interesting.

While I cannot be of much help in your exact situation, I can say what helped me most was I hung a small block and tackle from my tower. I strapped the trans, found a good spot to connect that kinda balanced it.

Taking some of the weight off of it made maneuvering it in tight spots much easier. Not sure where or how you might be able to get a beam, pole or....to hang a block and tackle or even a piece of rope, but an option to think on.
Donmystic1

Post by Donmystic1 »

I have a forklift that I can hangover the engine and attach a chain fall to the forks.
Carl

Post by Carl »

As long as chain fall is secured in a way it can't slide off the end, that could work. Chain fall is even better as it's infinitely adjustable and stays put.
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

I have the same boat with the same power, and I don't think it can be done because of the bulkhead aft of the engines. On my boat the couplings are just about even with that bulkhead; as I recall the input shaft and pump housing protrude about 6 inches from the face of the tranny, so it would have to come back at least that far before you could try to pivot it up. If you could even get the tranny to move back far enough to clear the bellhousing at that point the aft end of the tranny would be under the bulkhead jammed against the bottom of the boat and unable to move in any direction. Also, because of that aft bulkhead the only real access to the tranny is from above, so I think you would wind up having to remove the risers and exhaust hoses and starter to attempt to pull it up. Finally, the tranny and reduction is a lot heaver than it looks; even if it did come out that way, I don't know how you could hold it in position to line up the spline to re-install it.

If you have access to a fork lift it would be way easier and quicker to just pull the engine.
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

I have a B28 and had 350 mercuisers before I installed 4BTs. I think it would be easier to just pull the engines. I know it sounds like a lot more work than just pulling the gear but it is not. The velvet drives are heavy by themselves.

I set up a gantry with a 15ft I-beam (6" i-beam) spanned with a chainhoist.
I made the gantry out of pressure treated 6X6s and worked perfect. I used it a few times over the years with success removing the 350s and installing the 4BTs.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8YYsgnGgDTKbugoP9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FdHJykhHsxYDE3XV8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RiFpo51r8ZgrE9tm6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6VTEY59on5m1Uie79
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Donmystic1

Post by Donmystic1 »

Thanks all for the replies.
I think that the engine has to be lifted up to a least deck height and supported .
Then the gear is fully exposed .
With two forks on my lift that cab be moved apart or closer together I can hold the engine and use the other fork to support the tranny while it is removed
Carl

Post by Carl »

If your going to do that, I'd just lay them down on supports to work on them. It's much easier to wrench on a fixed item then having it hanging in the breeze.

My .02 and worth every penny.
Donmystic1

Post by Donmystic1 »

I don’t think that the deck is strong enough to support the engine and therefore it has to be lifted out of the boat and placed on supports on the ground.