Returning to my roots - need advice!!!!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tavis

Returning to my roots - need advice!!!!

Post by Tavis »

Hello B31 friends.

I grew up on a B31 in South West Florida. My dad and I actually drove her from Key West to Havana one year (legally). I am in my mid 40s now and live in the Florida Keys with my wife and son. We have owned several boats over the years, however I have always missed my childhood Bert we were forced to sell during an economic downturn (it was like putting a pet down for me). My current boat is under contract, and the search is on!

I am keeping the budget cheap (30-40k), looking for B31s with running diesels I can put some love into and use with my family for a year or so, leading into a rebuild of the boat at some point. There are several options out there, I am looking at one this Sunday. I was wondering if you B31 professionals could tell me what I should value the most for my $$? What I mean is should I go for a newer hull like a 79 with diesels at the end of their life over a 61 with low hour diesels? My thought is to put the engine condition over the hull age, however a no go for me is going to be major structural work (bad stringers)... So should I put more value in a younger boat? I fully understand a well cared for older boat can be in better condition than a poorly cared for newer boat. So for the argument, can I ask you to consider an equally cared for 61 hull vs a 79 hull? These are the ages of the top two contenders.... Thanks, I cant wait to be part of the family again, my boy is now 8 and I plan on putting the B31 in my will for him!
ranjr13

Re: Returning to my roots - need advice!!!!

Post by ranjr13 »

Travis - not guidance, but thoughts if I was doing it again, or advising a close friend. I've got a 1964 Soft Top Express. We got it 4 years ago in good condition, diesels great and boat solid, never updated - had nautilux still on cabin floor boards, brown faux formica walls etc. We added a transom door, gin pole for electronics, heat/ac, teak/holly floors in cabin, painted cabin, painted fiberglass kit cockpit deck, replaced all upholstery and cushions, and the boat and engines now would be considered in great shape. The $$ invested is significant. I will never get back the $$ I put into it, but that's okay - it was a project done with a purpose, and is now available. While I'm not near you (Connecticut) I would say you can look for something a bit over your budget, and get a lot more for your $$.

When we looked for this one, we saw boats from northern New England down to Virginia. Most gave concerns that the iron (engines) were at or near their life based upon lack of care, not potential hours left on a normally run/maintained set of diesels. Finding something with a documented history of great maintenance in the engines would give me the comfort that both they would be good for thousands of more hours, plus the likelihood that the hull and other systems were properly maintained and in good shape as well. Capt. Pat on this site who advised me when I bought our boat told me "the value is in the iron." To me as long as there is nothing obviously wrong with the hull, age of the fiberglass doesn't matter - it's really in the iron. Ours is a 1964, and put up next to many boats of other manufacturers that are less than 10 years old, you would not be able to tell the difference - unless you knew quality, then this 1964 blows most everything out there today out of the water.

So my advice, diesels are very expensive - with the budget you proposed, and the length of time you intend to keep the boat, I'd suggest scraping together a bit more or partially financing to find something with sound iron, and the boat in good shape that you can make into great shape over the years.

Best of luck, you are starting a journey that has incredible potential in your and your family's lives for many years to come.

Bob
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
1964 Bertram 31 Soft Top Express
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Tavis

What Bob said. You can find a early 60's boat in better shape than one of the later made boats. Depending on how they were cared for. Structurally they are all basically the same. The pre 1973 boats had more glass in them. They thinned out the hulls do to the oil crisis in 73. Once they figured out they were ok doing that, that became the norm.

So any boat prior to 73 is a heavier boat. Also right around 72 they increased the size of the fuel tank from 170 to 220.

Good Luck.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tavis

Post by Tavis »

Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I am in no rush, it also hate being boatless!! I am going to take a look at the 61 in NC in a few weeks. She has low hour 6BTAs. I am a little concerned at the lack of hours on 2000 iron... I will keep you guys updated and probably have some more questions. Thanks again for the responses.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Travis, I concur with the comments offered by the veterans above. I am in NC and would try to arrange to preview that boat for you if logistics allowed. I would have no problem with any year B-31 from ‘61 to ‘81 if it had been cared for and not butchered (there are even 25 1986 Silver Anniversary models in existence). Happy hunting, and us posted.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I don’t believe you ever have to worry about the material beneath the stringers on a 31.
The glass is so heavily laid up to make the stringers, they’d still be OK no more core.
I remember being told that over the phone with the great CaptPatric.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tommy,

One of those 25 silver anniversary 31s is right next to me with a Dutch flag! Small world...
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"