The Irene

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Jenks Mikell

The Irene

Post by Jenks Mikell »

Been a long time in the making, but finally able to enjoy the fruits of my labor
Moppie 1962 The Irene

https://imgur.com/a/abgcXmz
HotSpot

Re: The Irene

Post by HotSpot »

Fantastic, Jenks!

I'm sure we'd all love to hear more about these labors... and see more of the fruits!!

Congrats and Welcome!
HotSpot - ‘61 25 Sport Convertible - Hull# 25-109
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Took a 31 and made it into a center console. Great looking boat. How about some close ups of the deck and helm area?

It has been done before. His name escapes me, but we had a member do one many years back. It makes a great center console.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Is it a 31?
The pic is from a distance but I see some important bow flare ...maybe a 25? a 26?
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
HotSpot

Post by HotSpot »

Yannis wrote:Is it a 31?
The pic is from a distance but I see some important bow flare ...maybe a 25? a 26?

Seems a little stubby for a 31, but the proportions are a little skewed by the tower. Cant wait to hear more about it.
Jenks Mikell

Post by Jenks Mikell »

Yes, you are correct B25. Thought that was obvious, but pictures are skewed.
These pics are of the first redo about eight years ago. Boat has been in the family since 1970. I will add pics of the new recent repower. Never could get the 3.0's to run consistantly. and spent more money than I care to discuss on trying.
https://imgur.com/a/9HyM8zX
Jenks Mikell

Post by Jenks Mikell »

Last year, bit the bullet and put bracket with twin Suzuki 200's. Turn the key and they run!
HotSpot

Post by HotSpot »

Jenks Mikell wrote:Yes, you are correct B25. Thought that was obvious, but pictures are skewed.
These pics are of the first redo about eight years ago. Boat has been in the family since 1970. I will add pics of the new recent repower. Never could get the 3.0's to run consistantly. and spent more money than I care to discuss on trying.
https://imgur.com/a/9HyM8zX
Dang, since 1970.. So, you must really have a feel for the difference in handling with the bracket and outboards. Do you feel a substantial difference in the way it rides and handles? It seems to be a popular option these days. There are a few on this site who have done the conversion on project rebuilds, but can't recall anyone who had a good before and after comparison.

Yes, there is something really nice about motors that will start without a preceding religious ceremony.

That's another very early 25... Curious to know the hull number if you know it.
Jenks Mikell

Post by Jenks Mikell »

Hot Spot, in response. Hull #232 June 1962. As for handling before and after, I could go on and on. Primarily, no comparison in handling with outdrives vs outboards. Outdrives were smooth and bit as for handling. Where as outboards are skiddish to say the least. I am having cavitation problems and stearing is very loose. On the other side, the 3.0's were loud as jet engines and constant maintenance problems. Felt like you needed hearing protection to go cruising. Outboards hum and are quiet. Can actually carry on a conversation in the cockpit. I have the outboards as low in the water as I can go. Talking to my mechanic about cupping the props to see if that will make a difference. The motors have to be fully down and alot of tab to counter the cavitation. Doesnt't make sense, but that's what I have to do.
https://imgur.com/a/GvRdr2K
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Interesting....rule of thumb was to raise motors one inch for every foot of setback. In you first photo there appears to be a lot of spray, i.e. motors too low. Cavitation in turns or generally blowing out? I'm no expert, just curious. My single grips like glue. I can heel that boat over in a turn so far that it makes me nervous. I'm sure all is solvable.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Jenks Mikell

Post by Jenks Mikell »

Cam, glad you piped in. Cavitation is just a constant blow by when not using tabs. Interesting, more so with the starboard engine. In a turn to starboard it bites and no cavitation. I have been looking at 4 blades. All that I have researched, seems like this will solve the problem. Don't get me wrong, the boat is a dream. Just need some fine tuning to make it run better. Your advice is greatly appreciated.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

hmmm...too many questions. Let me know if this annoying:
- which 200s? APs?
- props?
- shaft length (almost sounds like you have 20's mounted instead of 25 inch shafts, or your bracket is mounted 5" too high.
- But tabs down should raise the stern, making the problem worse. Maybe the tabs are directing water up into the props?

Your loose steering reminds me of driving my little Scout with 4 people in the bow...stern is up and steering is vague to non-existent below plane.
1963 Bertram 25
Carl

Post by Carl »

CamB25 wrote: Your loose steering reminds me of driving my little Scout with 4 people in the bow...stern is up and steering is vague to non-existent below plane.

you have plenty of steering with 4 people in bow at low speeds...unfortunately the steering is being done by the bow.
Jenks Mikell

Post by Jenks Mikell »

Cam, spoke to prop guy yesterday. He is suggesting cupping the props as a first trial solution. Engines are Suzuki DF 200's. Shaft 25 inches. Prop, unsure of size but researched them with Suzuki and went with their recommendation. Stainless Steel Suzuki props. I concur with the thought of tabs pushing water into props. I have had that discussion with my mechanic. I think my next step will be to remove the props and take them to the prop shop. See what effect cupping may have.
https://imgur.com/a/wouurHA
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Those marshes look familiar. Where are you? Wanna race!?! :-D

That is a telling picture. Your attitude is bow down and the tabs are shooting rooster tails behind the boat! Not surprised your steering is "loose". I think you probably have a set-up issue with motor height/bracket height. I would get a third and forth opinion before spending any money tweaking props.

Get someone to take a few pictures of the lower units when you are running. With and without tabs.

Here's a picture or two of mine. The engine is just a hair too low (light spray coming from AV plate). https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/Rw ... 2EA9Rs601Y

Here's a shot of the setup. My jackplate is a 10 inch setback. Motor is 30 inch shaft https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/QL ... 0UKWmVmASm

Side view: https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/Kr ... oST4Pmdsd7

Assuming your motors are properly spaced and counter-rotating.
1963 Bertram 25
Jenks Mikell

Post by Jenks Mikell »

Edisto Island, SC After initial splash, went back and lowered motors to lowest holes. Alleviated alot of cavitation. Not much more I can do other than tweaking props and trim tabs without major overhaul ie taking bracket off. We put bracket on iaw stainless marine instructions. I'll let you know how prop tweaking goes. I'm leaning towards trying out four blades. With what I am researching, that should solve the problems.
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Jenks Mikell wrote:Cam, spoke to prop guy yesterday. He is suggesting cupping the props as a first trial solution. Engines are Suzuki DF 200's. Shaft 25 inches. Prop, unsure of size but researched them with Suzuki and went with their recommendation. Stainless Steel Suzuki props. I concur with the thought of tabs pushing water into props. I have had that discussion with my mechanic. I think my next step will be to remove the props and take them to the prop shop. See what effect cupping may have.
https://imgur.com/a/wouurHA
Jenks,

I saw your boat on Saturday. Man that is one beautiful B25. If you ever want to sell it please let me know. I'm renovating the B31 with the tower that is in Scott's Creek.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Beautiful boat!!!! I love the custom helm and hard top. I've seen pics of your boat over the years, it has nice clean lines.

as for the angle of how your boat is running, I'm wondering if you've got the engines trimmed too far in and if there is something going on with something on your transom throwing lots of spray and potentially acting as a trim tab keeping your bow down.

The angle doesn't seem too far off - here's a pic of my 25 running @22-23kts but it does seem a little bow down as the spray is first generated much further forward.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ubzAMs8F2UQForZq9

I think Cam's point about the cavitation plate is quite appropriate, have someone drive and get up on plane, the anti ventilation plate should run flat on top of the water's surface.

there was a guy from Rhode Island with a single 300 zuki that complained about having to tilt his engine too far out to get the boat up on plane and run correctly and I believe that the motors were too deep in that scenario.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Jerks, congratulations, your B25 is beautiful. I agree with others that the planing attitude of your boat while underway at cruising speed is much too “bow down”. The picture of ktm’s 25 underway looks to have a near perfect planing attitude. With deep-vee boats, Carl’s comment about “bow-steering” is spot on. I’m not sure tweaking or changing the props will help unless it allows you too raise the trim tabs which will in turn allow the bow to lift. You’ll figure it out, so keep up the good work and keep us posted on your progress.
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Very nice!!
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Obviously I meant “Jenks” above; sloppy typing...
Jenks Mikell

Post by Jenks Mikell »

Added 500lbs of shot bags midships. Made a huge difference. I think I have solved my cavitation problems. These b25's need weight!
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Perhaps you should consider ballast tanks similar to the Freeman's. Pump in water when you need it pump out water when you don't.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Jenks Mikell wrote:Added 500lbs of shot bags midships. Made a huge difference. I think I have solved my cavitation problems. These b25's need weight!
Would love to see a picture at rest. Do you have nay idea what the boat weight is now?
1963 Bertram 25
Dug

Post by Dug »

So pretty!
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

I'm curious about the weight and the placement of the weight. I'm probably going to run into problems of being too light as well as I am most likely going to end up lighter than both of your and Cam's boat.