Widen Search To Bahia Mar

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

buzzk

Widen Search To Bahia Mar

Post by buzzk »

I've been looking for a original 31 Sportfish. Because of the engine accessibility, I'm going to look at Bahia Mars too. Does anybody know of any for sale? Thanks
cariedl

Re: Widen Search To Bahia Mar

Post by cariedl »

Another member (moguls2go) here on the board is the broker for this Bahia, it's a fresh water boat and looks pretty original.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1966/b ... r-3555713/

His contact details are included in the listing
ccroke13

Post by ccroke13 »

My 1970 Bahia Mar is for sale. Diesel powered. Smith Yacht Sales in Hingham, Ma has the listing. Boat name is Mercury. Let me know if I can answer any question for you.
Chris C.
Boston, MA
1970 31 Bahia Mar
1977 28 FBC
Priceless

Post by Priceless »

Bertram Yacht Owners on facebook.
“Grass Monkey”. Looks real nice
buzzk

Post by buzzk »

Boat looks nice. While I like the 330 Cummins I would rather go slower and not have to deal with cleaning raw water cooled aftercoolers every 2 years. That's why I'm looking at boats with gas or Cummins 210.
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

Express in top shape with really good model Yanmars? https://www.grayandgrayyachts.com/boats ... t-6885177/
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
1964 Bertram 31 Soft Top Express
Carl

Post by Carl »

Look on the Swap and Sell right here in out own sight.

Vince has a nicely redone Sportfish, Cummins 330hp Diesels...
buzzk

Post by buzzk »

I see Vince's boat and it would work for me but I haven't given up on the lower station yet.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I understand you want a lower helm and I have no intention of talking out of that.

I am also not trying ot talk you into this or any other boat...

I am however tossing out an option you may not have thought reasonable.

For a 2nd station, you need

Steering (assuming its hydraulic)
-helm pump- $300-$600
-nylon hydraulic tubing, fittings and T's to plumb, fluid to bleed $150
-steering wheel $150+

Controls

- IF Single Lever Single function Controls
- Two control heads
-Twin throttle @ $300.00
-Twin shifters @ $300.00
-4 Super supremo cables that now go by the Trade Name TF XTreme 4 20' cables list $60.00ea
- Connections $100 +/-

- IF Single Lever Dual Purpose...hooking up can be somewhat problematic as last I checked the control box for the 2nd connection was discontinued.
You can switch both upper and lower to the Single Lever Single function which can be piggybacked. If not, maybe they are once again making the Dual Station
connection box...you could also have made. I added the 2nd station as they phased the connection box out, I needed 4 of them and only 3 were available, so I had to make the 4th.
Down side of the single lever dual purpose at 2 stations is ONLY ONE can be used...if you try to use the 2nd you will jam the controls. That and the dual purpose are a pain to get fine adjustments at times.

Guage panels-
- Cummins panels are about $1800.00ea or $3600
- Harness Y $150.00ea
- Extension 20' @ $160.00ea

SB Marine has its own Cummins panels at $1000 ea
If you know how to wire, you should be able to make your own extensions and Y's

While not cheap, a 2nd station is not ridiculous money either and was easy enough that I did it on my own.
I tried to pay someone but got tired of waiting for them.
It was pretty easy, although my 2nd station is on the tower and I utilize the lower stations gauges, so it was just Steering and Controls.
buzzk

Post by buzzk »

Carl, I've thought about adding a second station. Depending on the original price of the boat it may be an option. But a lot of the Bertrams without lower stations have had their windshields enclosed which would add another problem. Can you even reinstall glass in the windshield after it's been glasses in without spending big bucks?
Carl

Post by Carl »

Oh your gonna be one of those guys you just can't please....now you want to be able to see from the lower station too?

Where are your demands going to end??

True, lots of front windows have been glassed in. Great modern look, more sturdy bridge and those old leaky aluminum window frames will bother you no more.
Lots of advantages...seeing and ventilation not being high on the list.

Can you reinstall the old windshield after without spending big bucks. I am pretty sure some may have glassed over the old windshield and frames, but I doubt usable without a ton of work.
Cutting portholes or hatches as I've seen on some boat is not to my liking and most likely not great for visibility.

Changing from glassed back to original I know can be done, but see that being a project...

Unless you drive like a dog in a car...head out the side window.

How do you feel about going in reverse?
No helm or wheel needed, only need gauges and controls, and lots of ventilation.
buzzk

Post by buzzk »

I understand a lot of people don’t care about the lower station. I grew up fishing on a 31 FBC that my dad owned. But I’ve fished on a 31 SF and really like the lower station.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I hope you know my prior post was a tongue in cheek attempt at humor.

I honestly believe If you want your boat to have a lower helm, then you should have a boat with a lower helm.
No need for you to explain yourself to others...not even to me (another feeble attempt at humor)

On the Express I have its "Almost" a lower helm and I like it.
I like the idea of standing in the cockpit and being able to steer and back down.

Downside is the cabin and covered front windshield is in the way of seeing forward. Not a problem when nobody is around...it is a problem when trolling in a fleet.
Plenty of distance to bring in and check a lure....till a pole goes off, not big enough to stop the boat, yet big enough not to bring in quick and plenty of distance shrinks.

Also nice at times to get out of the sun, rain, warm up.

Worst that happens with a lower helm is its there and it doesn't get used.
Other thought...if nobody had a need or want for lower stations, manufactures would not have put them in.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Remember in the sport fish model and or with a lower station, you loose the stand up head. You will need to settle for the open V berth toilet.

If you use the boat in mixed company this could be an issue. But you could always put a curtain across the V Berth opening.

Good luck in your search.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:Remember in the sport fish model and or with a lower station, you loose the stand up head. You will need to settle for the open V berth toilet.
Not necessarily Tony, you can open the hatch and stand up.

[quote="Tony Meola"If you use the boat in mixed company this could be an issue. But you could always put a curtain across the V Berth opening.[/quote]

Could be, but not always.

The way many of these boats are used, you just kick everyone out of the cabin and shut the door...now it's one big bathroom/head/changing room. Oh...no door on the sportfish, so a curtain it is or you make a little foldable door like on cuddy cabin that you close the V-berth off to the rest of the world.