Advise on purchasing B37 6V71

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

LaKilo

Advise on purchasing B37 6V71

Post by LaKilo »

I'm purchasing a '86 B37 DD6V71. The boat sunk in one of the hurricanes but is in fine (engines) working conditions but should I get a mech survey? The cabin needs allot of work as is rest of the boat. Do I need to get a pre-purchase survey although it's a project boat? I don't want to spend on a survey if the outcome is gonna be the same results. I am new to boats but grew up around em. I worked on bmws for 20 yrs if that'll help with working these diesels? Mainly purchasing the boat for my love for trolling. The price is reasonable but my next challenge is to ship to California. Contemplating going across Panama...Please ADVISE... thanks in advance. Art
Carl

Re: Advise on purchasing B37 6V71

Post by Carl »

A lot of info there to process...

My gut says if the boat was given to you For free...the cost of transporting it may not be worth it.

If that is The Boat you have your heart set on with the power you want and not have been able to locate, that is another story.

Do you get an engine survey??? The way I see it, if you are comfortable finding out down the road the motors needs a full overhaul or replacement then save a few bucks on the survey.

Personally, if it was mine, I'd pay the few bucks to know the condition of the motors.

Reasoning- - ...with all the money I'm spending on transporting the boat, money on storage of work on the boat...then the chunk of money fix or replace the many systems that will need attention...I want to know if I need to keep a large reserve for motors. AND do I want to finish the cabin and engine area only to have to rip it all up to replace motors. Used running 671's are not overly expensive or hard to get...but they are big and heavy as are their parts.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I would personally never attempt a trip so long through Panama if I wasn't sure 100% on the boat, which means I would have to own the boat for at least two seasons prior.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Art Kilo

Post by Art Kilo »

Carl thanks, I think I'll take your advise on the mechanic. I found a local mech shop to do it. Should I get a boat surveyor when I think I will know the outcome? I wish the boat was free!! Working through his broker. West coast does not have too many Bs.. but this I think is the "One"! I'm not quite sure what I'm getting myself into but at the same time, excited! It's definitely a big challenge for me and your wisdom is tremendously helpful!!

Yannis, I prejudged the time n distance poorly. That will have to wait...I'm thinking of "slip" it there and maybe have it hauled nd painted. Could I disassembling the boat and ship it that way? Maybe take it apart from the bridge down. That's suggested by the transport company. I may have to do some "leak" mission underneath that bridge anyway. Thanks in advance guys....
Dug

Post by Dug »

Art,
What your talking about sounds like a heck of an adventure. But its a BIG deal and a REAL PROJECT. Serious money. Don’t take shortcuts, its not worth it. Good luck if you decide to proceed, but know a boat, even more a big one like the 37 is going to make your ca experience look like Childs play. You will be into it, done right for minimum $250,000. Just know average annual cost of ownership is 10% of new purchase price. ‘This is non-negotiable.

37’ Bertram is a great boat and you owe it to her to do it right.

Get any and all surveys and input so you are as aware as possible as to what you are getting yourself into.

Good luck and have fun!!!!
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

If they are 450hp JT conversions (junk and trouble) I would be wary of having them in my boat. Lots of down time for repairs.
Over the years I shipped lots engines and parts to the canal for venture boaters stuck at the mercy of local repairs. Hope you have a bank line of credit equal to the stimulus just past.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Art

Where is the boat now? Since Bertram used to truck them over land, I don't see why could not get a boat hauler to take her to California. They will remove the bridge for shipping. Your other option is on a Freighter. This is no small task and could be expensive.

Like Dug said you will easily be into this for some heavy money, especially when this one can be had for $75,000.

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1987-be ... e-6939689/
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Art Kilo

Post by Art Kilo »

Dug wrote:Art,
What your talking about sounds like a heck of an adventure. But its a BIG deal and a REAL PROJECT. Serious money. Don’t take shortcuts, its not worth it. Good luck if you decide to proceed, but know a boat, even more a big one like the 37 is going to make your ca experience look like Childs play. You will be into it, done right for minimum $250,000. Just know average annual cost of ownership is 10% of new purchase price. ‘This is non-negotiable.

37’ Bertram is a great boat and you owe it to her to do it right.

Get any and all surveys and input so you are as aware as possible as to what you are getting yourself into.

Good luck and have fun!!!!

Dug, I'm going into this with mindset that I'm willing to do it. My obstacle now is getting it back home. Great advise and I look forward to keeping it 10+ yrs. Buddies of mines are boat builders and diesel mechanics all over 20 yrs and going. I know by tomorrow it'll be a different perspective and the challenge begins. Seller outcome finalizes. Thanks again.
LaKilo

Post by LaKilo »

Tony Meola wrote:Art

Where is the boat now? Since Bertram used to truck them over land, I don't see why could not get a boat hauler to take her to California. They will remove the bridge for shipping. Your other option is on a Freighter. This is no small task and could be expensive.

Like Dug said you will easily be into this for some heavy money, especially when this one can be had for $75,000.

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1987-be ... e-6939689/

Louisiana. Did called around got a few quotes. Would rather repair but shipping needs taken care of. Purchase price is $7500. I read a few posts on "flybridge" removed for shipping. I think that's a reasonable way to ship it. It's just getting over the wide limit that's difficult. I'd really like to talk to haulers that you know. I want to boat it to Texas then transport by land to San Diego. Launch from there... up North.... I live in Sacramento.

Thanks
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Art kilo,

Are you planning to repair it in San Diego, and then cruise it north ?
Art Kilo

Post by Art Kilo »

Yannis,

That's the plan so far. I think that will have to do rather not having it sit in the bayou! Too far
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Art kilo,

The rebuilt of a boat in the condition you described, requiring major work in the cabin but also probably in the engines, if not substitution of them, and replacement of damaged systems, is a ton of work, and months if not years of dedicated labor.
I wonder how this can be done when you’re 500 miles away. And then, after you're done, its a long first trip for a boat that will have to prove that all systems run as planned.
Maybe it’s me, maybe I’m a bit too conservative, but I think that all this is far costlier, far more complicated, far riskier, than buying the same boat in a good condition, have it shipped to your area, spend some time and money to bring it to your taste and start enjoying it right away. But, then again, I may be all wrong and you may know things that have not been revealed in this discussion that can prove the opposite.
Good luck!
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

i feel uniquely qualified to advise you on this, i looked seriously at 37s before deciding on a B42, I can hand on heart say i got it all WRONG!!!! , Not the choice of boat , but the decision to buy a "Project " boat, Do not do it, especially the boat you've described, mine wasn't as bad as what you've described ,and the total amount spent, far far exceeds the end value and adds up to a number that would have seen me with a much much better boat

PM me with any questions you may have, or give me a call and ill explain exactly what your in for, mine took 5 years of structured/Planned winter works

I can honestly say i now have a beautiful boat that attracts a lot of positive comments, but it wasn`t worth it, i was able to do a lot myself as i was in the marine game as a young guy, but even with my relative ability , buying a B37 that someone else has always loved and maintained is by far the better coarse of action

Read some of David Pascoes (surveyor) articles on line , his article on 4 strokes verses 2 strokes is a great read, for my money id have 6V92s over the Cats in a B37, its a heavy rig and those 375/425 cats are probably on the limit in that boat, there are many guys here better qualified than me to advise you on that point though

Take it from someone who`s been there, Find the best B37 you can afford ,one thats been loved,and buy it, and what ever boat it is ,have it surveyed up the yeng yang so you know what your getting, remember, surveyors are just like cars, theirs Ford and theirs Ferrari`s, the faithful here will be able to direct you on who`s good and who`s great
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0do2gsmri6pci ... M.jpg?dl=0
Last edited by Todd Pearce on Mar 31st, '20, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
LaKilo

Post by LaKilo »

Absolutely agree with you guys Yannis and Todd. I think my options are very clear....I got none! What this inturn will do, is making the right decision. I first saw this boat and Fell "head over keel". Now it's distance from reach. I wil to make this boat something beautiful n glorious. Awaiting seller then I will decide. I've had 11 BMWs... now own two. Not because I just wanted them, but because I couldn't afford em ...smh !! Thank you guys for all these great knowledge and advises.

My strategical plan; (1) get the boat mechanically surveyed (2) boat it to Houston TX (Sea Tow) incl. (3) then cut off the flybridge, ship it slanted on trailer transport Co. (4) reinstall flybridge in San Diego then launch. Barely halfway home and it's already tons of work! Now that sounds awesome but when reality kicks in,... :x Planning all the works done in Sacramento. My lifetime buddies will help w the boat, 2 diesel mechanics and a boat tech all 20yr careers. Does that sound feasible to anyone? Please advise...
Carl

Post by Carl »

fea·si·ble /ˈfēzəb(ə)l/

adjective
adjective: feasible

possible to do easily or conveniently.

Similar:
practicable practical workable achievable attainable realizable

Where does one start...
I guess at the top.

IS it possible?? Sure it is

IS it easily done??? Hell no !!

IS it practical?? Its a boat? of coarse not.

Cars and boats, two very different animals.
Its great to have friends that are willing to help. After awhile that help can start to flounder, not saying that it will...just saying.

Projects on boats can have very large price tags, even doing all the work yourself or with friends.
Bringing and old boat back requires deep pockets and or tons of time.

The sad part is when your done....its not worth the money or time you invest. That is unless the end result make you happy and you have enough left in the pocket to enjoy it the way it should be enjoyed. The other aspect is if you lose interest or funding along the way...good luck getting anyone to take a partially rebuilt/restored old boat off your hands.

Want to save money and enjoy sooner...buy a running, done boat.

Want to go down that long expensive road, that is your choice and only you and your support team can answer that.

If you go down the road, lots of great knowledge here and its your for the asking, I am pretty sure that is safe to say.

Feasible - - no

Doable - - yes

Worth it...monetarily No,
...but worth it in other ways, only you can answer that.

I love being out on the boat, I like tinkering on a boat when all is running and good. I get satisfaction taking on projects here and there and seeing the results, gettin gto enjoy the results.
I hate just working on the boat to get it going, to keep it going.
To me that is work and I have more enough of that at WORK.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

The VERY BEST advice you could possibly get came from Todd Pearce above: "buying a B37 that someone else has always loved and maintained is by far the better coarse of action".

He states clearly that he has been where you say you are headed, and he made clear he would avoid that course of action. Nuff said.
Dug

Post by Dug »

I agree with Todd 100%. That's what I was trying gently to tell you. Now I'm feeling a bit less gentle. You will do whatever you are going to do. But you will be MUCH better off NOT BUYING A PROJECT BOAT. Always. Especially one that size.

Buy a really awesome, well cared for, meticulous 37', and enjoy the adventure of a lifetime driving it on its own keel to wherever you aim to keep her. Don't choose to do it the way you are considering doing it.
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

Art , from your response i can tell your not really listening to any of the advice being given by a multiple of very knowledgeable people on this forum, i think your fixated on the dream, not focused on the reality,
so hears my final piece of advice, stop fixating on a boat you have in your mind by going and viewing as many B37s that you can drive to from your local area, actually go see some real other options then you`ll have a yard stick and a point of reference, DONT agree to the project boat until youve done so,

I am going to venture past the point of what would normally be considered polite on this forum and out rightly say , you just don`t understand what your in for and you should take the collective advice here more seriously
My wife just saw me writing this and asked what i was doing , she promptly reminded me of my famous last words just before i agreed to purchase myB42, i said "How bad can it be" well as it turned out it can be really fkn bad
waggles02673

Post by waggles02673 »

I believe this is the boat you are talking about. If it is do you know that it has major termite damage as well??
https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1986-be ... 7-7315901/
Art Kilo

Post by Art Kilo »

Thank you guys so much for all your advises and shared experiences. Don't get me wrong... I am taking in every bits of info you've said. I've signed the offer but the Seller seems to have backed off. That tells me he wants to reprice it or keep it? I guess we both want the boat badly... Yes, that is the posting Waggles. Now why would you change your mind in middle of progress and still have it listed on the ad page? Even w all the obstacles ahead, really tells me it is worth something to pursue! I'm not just being naive and silly but the scenario is this, he's keeping it and fixing it up. I should want that same opportunity.

I know all of you have a lifespan of experiences with either this particular boat or just boats! Not one thing GOOD about Bertram 37 have been mentioned here though! Is it really that bad? Of course the cost is put into perspective but what are you boating on? Definitely not B37..

I read David Pascoes articles on boats by accident prior to my boat searching. I find it useful and informative. The big picture is this; "what anyone consider invaluable, has value n limits." "And what one's consider worthless is persuadable n unlimited." No one asked me that!

So many thanks to all of you for all the awesome and useful advises. I shall keep it with me on my journey in pursuing a floater. Like Dug mentioned, "serious money" is involved, with all that and more.... Carl says it best, "that is another story." Appreciative for all the help I got!

Thank you
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Art,

If the backing off of the seller is realized, consider yourself very lucky.

And, no, this is not about whether we like the 37 or not, in fact we never had the time to discuss that, as we were overwhelmed by the very principle of this purchase. It would have been the same for any model of any boat brand.
And hell yes, you can very well change your mind anytime, when new facts are brought up in the course of any purchase.
Like this latest termites issue which only by itself could be a deal breaker...

As for comparing the owner’s willingness to keeping the boat and fixing it, I can think of quite a few reasons why this is not a plausible justification for you, or anybody else, to pursue a similar purchase. The current owner does not need to move the earth to bring the boat close to where he lives, doesn’t need to establish new contacts with a yard or with technicians in a multitude of fields, will save himself tons of time in sourcing most of the spare-parts he’ll need, doesn't depend on surveyors to tell him what’s operational or not, he knows that already, he can also combine in the process what already needed improvement or replacement so as to obtain the same end result for less, and many more.

Finally, what’s with that particular 37 that no other 37 can provide?
Is it its current condition? Is it the practicality associated, like its vicinity to you? Is it the fact that it will cost twice as much in money and 5 times as much in time until its first splash?

Do you sincerely want to test by yourself what will happen to your hand if you place it on a burning stove top, or would you rather believe those who have tried it and kindly show you their scars?
Carl

Post by Carl »

Art Kilo wrote: I've signed the offer but the Seller seems to have backed off. That tells me he wants to reprice it or keep it? I guess we both want the boat badly... Yes, that is the posting Waggles. Now why would you change your mind in middle of progress and still have it listed on the ad page? Even w all the obstacles ahead, really tells me it is worth something to pursue! I'm not just being naive and silly but the scenario is this, he's keeping it and fixing it up. I should want that same opportunity.
Getting into a bidding war with the seller is far from an ideal situation. But You know that...

As to the why...limitless opinions could be offered.

-Could be as simple as he had second thoughts and wants to keep and refurbish for himself
-Realized with some work he could get some more money for it
-Has another buyer in the wings
-Knows he has a fish taking the bait
-A person with a split personality disorder

If you really want it make a better offer...$7500, $10,000 or $15,000. When all is said and done the difference of a few bucks here at the point of purchase is not really going to be much of a factor at the end tally.

Art Kilo wrote: I know all of you have a lifespan of experiences with either this particular boat or just boats! Not one thing GOOD about Bertram 37 have been mentioned here though! Is it really that bad? Of course the cost is put into perspective but what are you boating on? Definitely not B37..
First, we all love Bertram and yes we are partial to 31's...kind of a given as its a Bertram 31 forum. I have a 1962 31 Express.

I can say the 37 is a great boat. I also feel if your going to dump money into an old boat, a Bertram is a good choice as its a great hull. A good hull and good motors is what I look for first and foremost. Layout and styling come next.

I also like to have a platform that I can recoup "some" of what I put in...a 31 is only worth so much on the market in certain condition, with certain motors. Luckily being a 31 they are a classic and somewhat of a market for them. The 37...

But to be honest...if you were looking to buy a 31 that sank and needed a restoration, I'd be ringing the same bells. I'd be saying look for one done and running, its way less money to spend more money up front compared to even a free boat needing restoration.

Art Kilo wrote: "And what one's consider worthless is persuadable n unlimited." No one asked me that!
You already made it clear you want it and it has lots of value to you...no need to try and talk you into it.

As many of us have these old Bertram we know what it takes to keep an older boat running. We know what it takes to rewire, revamp steering, floors, motors, running gear, interiors..plumbing, windows, overhead panels, etc etc. We know the time, effort and cost...We know at the end of a project we could have often bought another running boat for less. That is what we want to share with you BEFORE you take ownership.

Once you take ownership, for me my tone changes to Hey, great boat and good luck with it! There will be no I told you so's...well in jest there might be.

On this sight is a running 35' that needs some work...but it's all there at a good price.
Dug

Post by Dug »

We may have encountered a world class prankster here... he may just be ######' with us. Or he's world class level not listening. Its been said about me in the past, a fool and his money are easily parted.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Dug wrote:We may have encountered a world class prankster here... he may just be ######' with us. Or he's world class level not listening. Its been said about me in the past, a fool and his money are easily parted.

I won't go that far Dug.

This might be the boat he just wants.

Last marina I was in there was a guy there that dumped a ridiculous amount of money into a 30 foot or so 1972 Silverton. You know the old white ones before they went cream colored. He put new motors, new top shelf electric panels, had the boat rewired, mutliple battery banks for an inverter, installed AC and a new head, added a windless with a custom roller. Hardtop with new electronics in a custom overhead. He had boat stripped, bottom barrier coated, hull and top side painted then had a tacky mural done on the back...when he was done he was happy as a pig in sh$t.

The boat rarely left the harbor, but he sat on it near everyday and enjoyed.

He had the desire and the money to make it just the way he wanted and in the end that made him happy.

Isn't that what its all about?

I'm just trying to make sure he goes in eyes wide open.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dug

At some time in our lives we are fools with money easily parted. We also kick ourselves later on. Hopefully it is not enough money to make us cry. Maybe a loud ouch but no tears is good.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Art,

I’ve been avoiding commenting on this thread because I’m a project junkie, so my opinions are somewhat skewered toward “pick it up cheap and try and make something out of it”. I’ve been a serial project guy from when I was young with old cars, then on to old boats for a few years, and I work mostly on old houses now. I enjoy the journey, and get bored once I’m at the destination, so on to the next project. Also I started life as a tradesman but I’ve been a computer programmer for ~30 years, so after a long hard day of crushing all the soft out of the cushion on my office chair I have a need to hammer on stuff in the shop. That, and being a wage slave for a big company I’ve had to make concessions on budgets, so buying a project and trying to make something of it was always a method toward an end. That gave me the ability to spread the cost over the years of the project.

I say all that to let you know that I understand there are many, many reasons a guy can use to justify a project. I get it. I’ve used them all. My wife just rolls her eyes. God bless that woman.

That being said, the guys here are giving solid advice. I don’t know how much you’ve looked into it, but years ago I priced transporting a ‘great deal’ Bertram 38 from the east coast to Texas. Cost was 15k. That was just overland transport. It didn’t include the make ready at the original destination, taking the fly bridge off and such, nor my travel and lodging getting the deal done and getting the boat ready. So figure in 18-20k just to get the grand project to your door step. Once you get it home then the ante to stay in the game is monthly storage. I was lucky in that I’ve typically had a place to store a big boat either dry dock or wet slip so I very rarely had to figure in storage cost. But storage cost can eat up a project budget.

Additionally the path you would be starting down can very likely be 3-5 years if you stay at it and let the cash flow at the times cash needs to flow. Desires change over that time frame so what you want now might not be what you want in 4 years.

Oh, and the buddies that like to fish who are willing to help….they are probably good for 6-8 weekends, even if they are great guys. But in the end it’s not their boat, not their dream, and so the other 100-150 weekends will be on your own. Take them fishing once you’re done.

So just getting it to your door step where you can begin pouring money into it, will start out at about 25k including the cost of the boat, transport, and travel. Maybe a different plan would be to put that amount aside and continue to look for a B37, B38, or B42 near you that is in better or equivalent shape. They do come up. Especially with the looming economic changes you may be pleasantly surprised at what 25k will buy you if you wait. On a project that size the original hull cost is one of the smaller expenses.

That being said, if it’s the one you want, go get it. But you’ll have to wait until the corona virus settles down. Southern Louisiana is a hot spot.

As far as the B37 goes as a boat, I don’t know much about them, but there was a gentleman that used to post here named Gert. He owned a marina in the Netherlands and did amazing work on boats. He bought and restored a B37. Look up the pictures. I’m guessing if Gert decided a B37 was the boat he wanted to restore it has to be a solid foundation.

While I tend to steer people away from a hull up project, I enjoined mine. And because I went down that road (offshore boating/fishing) I met folks I never would have met, fished and dove places I would have never seen, had plenty of cold drinks, funny stories and enjoyed the journey. But it was a heck of a lot of work and more money than I expected. YMMV.

I’m almost through rambling, but I’ll give you the advice I give folks that ask me about my big boat restoration years ago. If you just enjoy working on boats, do it. But if what you really want to do is fish or dive, then go charter the best boat in the area, tip the crew handsomely, then stand at the transom crumpling up hundred dollar bills and throwing them into the wake. All the time giggling at how much money you’ve saved…. Just joking, but not by much.

Good luck which ever path you choose.

Danny
LaKilo

Post by LaKilo »

Being new to all this, you guys steered me in the right direction prevented me from a precarious situation and I should knock me self "out cold." But thank you all for the abundance of infos I'll keep for later pursues. And in the end Sellers keeping the boat investing 30k into it and selling later down the road. I did offered more, "smh" but he declined. I did read afew articles some years back, regarding those particular years 86-89 as some of the best built designs.

Mr. Danny, great to finally meet you. I read some of your posts and definitely taking notes. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to look at it from your longstanding experiences and trials n tribulations. For what it may become, you've done it and still going. I admire that and I think I'm as you, in many ways. I understand fully what it will n won't do for me, but Bertram is a brand that's my type!

I took my last fishing trip here in Hawaii returning home to CA tomorrow. We had 8 bites in all and 1 catch(lost that). Come to find out cousin had used the wrong lbs lines. But I had fun, next trip June.... God willing this virus is gone!

I'm going to look at a Hatteras 37 down south hope to get it.....

Thank you everyone! Stay safe stay healthy!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Hope you know we...let me change that and say "I" didn't want to talk you out of the purchase...but just give you enough information to make a decision based on your head and not your heart. Cause once the money is gone, its gone and that is only the beginning of the journey.

If it was a rare Mercedes Gull Wing or a Shelby Cobra kind of thing were you can dump tons of money and time into it and at the end, or even the middle, you can stop and collect "Some" of you investment back. An old Bertram with ol' 671 motors is going to an old Bertram with old 671 motors...valuable to the owners and book value to all others.

Best of luck to you.
Hang around if you can as we could always use new ideas and insights tossed into the pot from a different perspective.

Carl
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

What Carl said: "An old Bertram with ol' 671 motors is going to an old Bertram with old 671 motors"; I will only add to that: "an old Bertram that had sunk in a hurricane"......adds a whole new dimension. Count your blessings, and may the hunt continue.....
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Good Luck in your search.

As Carl said, make sure you hang around. Every once in a while we let Hatteras guys hang out here. In fact our resident Hatteras guy has been AWOL since he jumped to a Topaz.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:Good Luck in your search.

As Carl said, make sure you hang around. Every once in a while we let Hatteras guys hang out here. In fact our resident Hatteras guy has been AWOL since he jumped to a Topaz.

Your right Tony, our resident Hatteras guy that jumped ship to a Topaz would have been a good person for Art to speak with...
An all out conversion from a 40' Hatteras FBC to a custom Express....but stopped a tad short at the flower planter stage.
Then added running Hatteras in pretty good shape "for its age"...but thirsty "gas". So picked up a Topaz to use...

I have a feeling I left out a bunch...but in short he was bitten by the project bug. Why spend so much for a good clean running boat when I can pick up inexpensive hulls and motors and just rip off top, little custom glass work, touch of paint and...
...when he recovered from that bug, he bought a good running boat (the Topaz) that "just" warranted a couple updates and upgrades, but it was all there and running good.

Some people enjoy the journey more then the destination.

I like the destination with "small" excursions...of my choosing.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl, I only like the destination, not even excursions, ha ha!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote:Carl, I only like the destination, not even excursions, ha ha!

Yannis I hear you loud and clear!

I'd say none for me after I get my hunk of a mess running and floating...but this extended excursion put me on the path a few more.
micky

Post by micky »

Your right Tony, our resident Hatteras guy that jumped ship to a Topaz would have been a good person for Art to speak with...
An all out conversion from a 40' Hatteras FBC to a custom Express....but stopped a tad short at the flower planter stage.
Then added running Hatteras in pretty good shape "for its age"...but thirsty "gas". So picked up a Topaz to use...

I have a feeling I left out a bunch...but in short he was bitten by the project bug. Why spend so much for a good clean running boat when I can pick up inexpensive hulls and motors and just rip off top, little custom glass work, touch of paint and...
...when he recovered from that bug, he bought a good running boat (the Topaz) that "just" warranted a couple updates and upgrades, but it was all there and running good.

Some people enjoy the journey more then the destination.

I like the destination with "small" excursions...of my choosing.[/quote]

I'm still around. :)
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Yeah ,we can be discussing about the journey for ages, each telling his own story, yet, the destination is one and,there it is, for all to admire!
The people who admire the journey MORE than the destination, journey on sailboats!
Carl

Post by Carl »

micky wrote: I'm still around. :)

micky- Sorry, nope not you. You are "Project Hatteras Full Steam Ahead !! "

I was referring to another gent here who took on a Hatteras custom project that lost it's steam.

If curious do a search on Thudd...actually his project was back in 2007, its awhile back into the old forum days.
But I believe he may still have the boat shell tucked away somewhere for when he feels like picking up on the journey again.
micky

Post by micky »

Yeah, I've read on Thud's "nautical flower pot" project.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl wrote: micky- Sorry, nope not you. You are "Project Hatteras Full Steam Ahead !! "

I was referring to another gent here who took on a Hatteras custom project that lost it's steam.

If curious do a search on Thudd...actually his project was back in 2007, its awhile back into the old forum days.
But I believe he may still have the boat shell tucked away somewhere for when he feels like picking up on the journey again.
I believe Timmy the flower pot as well as an additional Hatteras, and of course the Topaz and several great gun dogs. At least he got the gun dogs right.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Todd,

I passed by this photo a couple times and my jaw dropped......

Sorry it took so long for me to mention.

What a nice job you did on your boat.

Whether you think it was worth it or not...she's georgeous!

Enjoy her for many years to come!

Carl

Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

Funny thing thats only about half way through, iam, have problems posting pics but will try to get a current one up soon, thanks for the compliments though, it helps keep you going at it,
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Well Boys .. "heeeeeeeeees back" ...
tony and Carl and the others are right... I've had a few slow projects .. for various reasons . including economics .... I quickly scrolled thru this and really didn't see any budget numbers... what I can tell you is do the math .. long and hard .. take feelings out of it .. then do the math again . .and increase your budget by double .. at the least .... and .. look at the buyer pyramid (yea .. we all think we're goin to keep them forever but thats not the truth, except in my case ... I've got 2 projects sitting .. that will likely end up in the dumpster )

it would take a lot of typing to get thru the stories .. so I'll try to cliff note it

41hatt .. mistake to start the project
34 hatt 10ish years later , gasser , cheep.. fun .. needed a refit .. gateway drug to draining my check book
found a 34 hatt that had the potential to be "the boat" (i've got a thing for 34 hatts) .. it was in Panama city Fl .. I'm north of boston ..
pluses for that boat .. it had everything I wanted .. negatives .. it had been owned by a cotton farmer .. and most everything was "fixed" with bailing wire .... with transport costs.. and required repairs to make it reliable enough to get it home .. I would have been at around 50-55k without something breaking .. plus the refit costs ... top of the market for one of those is 100k ish.. if you can find a buyer .. I was upside down before I started

sooooooooo started looking for something else or to fix my 34 (diesel repower, full refit) .. .. figured the budget and my use profile then went bigger diesel boat shopping

. finally found something that met all my needs . express .. had been recently repowered to the tune of 110k (I knew I was buying the motors) .... a friend's (JP) actually sold and rigged the boat when it was new ... I had an amazing infrastructure, the craftsman where the boat was going to be refit is part of the community .. get's deals from vendors and knows where "stuff" can be sourced .. .. we also a time line .... as well as a top end dollar cost for my project ... well here we are a year later .. budget and time line's blown all to shit .... time lines been compressed .. and the budgets been raised .. a lot .. I expect that if and when I sell it I won't get hit to bad ... I'll have something very unique .. and marketable .......

sooooo the short version .. all your costs to transport are throw away dollars , unless it's a rare boat .... the money is in the motors .. and wiring .... electronics arent cheep .. neither is craftsman costs ... it's all going to cost more than you think it is .. and .. the market it is .. what the market is for resale ..... as was mentioned above .. find something that someone else loved .. and poured tons of money into .. and buy that .. unless you have an open checkbook ....... or line of credit ... boat shit happens in big numbers .... and .. whatever you're doing for a budget .. I'd add full rebuilds as at least a place holder in the budget
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

it's not a 37 .. but .. if you want a project .. and a super reasonable buy cost .. get ahold of JL Maggs .. boats in NY would have to be trucked .. (probably 30-40k) Cat powered ... but it's almost free .. It was on my very short list , and possibly I should have bought it
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

micky wrote:Your right Tony, our resident Hatteras guy that jumped ship to a Topaz would have been a good person for Art to speak with...

Hey MIcky... I'm not nearly that smart in execution ... I'm at least 1x plus the purchase price with probably another 1/2x to be close .. it will be a "custom" express .. that probably will be around till I end up in eldercare .. or the Rona gets me .. lol

it's reasonably fast .. easy to single/short hand it .. "cheep" to run ... and it's got a beer cooler right next to the helm .. lol
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Timmy

Welcome Back

The Topaz still up in Point Pleasant?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Thanks Tony..

I am back(ish) .. boats still In PP at Arnolds .. under a wrapper .. and my "team" of craftsmen are hard at work .. like santas little elves ... it won't be done this year .. but it will be coming home to visit .. and with a crap load more done that we expected to happen this winter (the rona , and the shelter in place expedited a lot of projects) .. soon as the new hardtop and enclosure gets on (next couple weeks) the wrapper will come off .. the cleaning will happen and with any luck it'll be home early july for a few months .. and a few tuna trips
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Good to hear.

Good luck with her, and post up some finished pics. The Topaz is a nice boat. It should eat up a large head sea.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Tim,

I believe Tom Whortmann from this site is in Arnold's also. He is re-doing his interior this year.
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

thanks .. I'll poke around
Art Kilo

Post by Art Kilo »

Hi guys, good day to all. So far my search brought me to this 87 Bert 33 FBC and its here in CA. It's a project one. Exhaust elbow, shaft seal and "big one" fuel tank. Sat at harbor for 6 years last time engine start 2016. The fuel tanks will be the hard part and will find out more today. The boat is clean includes a dingy lift on the bow. Engines are Crusaders 454 7.4L but I'd prefer diesel. I'm also looking at this 86 Hatteras 41 but in TX. Now much closer for transport. Has tuna tower bottom sanded ready for paint and all and DD6V71 engs.. I know I know...DDs..but they are single everything, 1 turbo 1 head 1 exhaust manifold.

Thuddd... yep, budget is pretty much why I haven't own a boat yet, lol but yeah its foremost in my progress! Much Obliged
Carl

Post by Carl »

I think DD671 are great motors...old, oily, heavy, big, and no they are not going to move that boat fast but it will move it for a long time.

Bertram 33 with gas AND you have to change the tank...maybe if you can get it for a song and a dance and have a love for the boat. I don't know how that tank come out or go back in, but can assume not easily, few are. Take it from someone whose done it in the 31, its a job. The 31 is relatively accessible too in comparison to some others. Helped a bud do his...had to pull two motors, water tank, water tank, rudder shelf, cut some of the deck.

I am coming back to add something to my DD671's statement...I think they are great motors at their base lower hp ratings. My opinion of them changes as more and more hp is extracted from them. But that goes for many motors...
Last edited by Carl on May 29th, '20, 05:28, edited 2 times in total.